Brave Browser - Fast Install Script for Ubuntu, Mint and derivatives

Since this has been in the minds of many people, I assembled all the commands from the Brave Browser’s website and created an easy script that will do the work for you.

Download the following file and save it into your Downloads folder.
install_brave_browser.sh (889 Bytes)

Then open a terminal and type in the following (feel free to open it via your file manager - we did not insert any malicious code in it).

cd Downloads
chmod +x ./install_brave_browser.sh
./install_brave_browser.sh

It will ask you for your password to perform the installation process, and that’s it!

After that, the Brave Browser repository will become available, and the browser itself will be updated automatically.

Please note that Brave for Linux is only for 64-bit environments - per the developers’ post.

Brave is only supported on 64-bit AMD/Intel architectures (amd64 / x86_64).

15 Likes

Thank you!! I know have Brave as my browser.

3 Likes

The release channel says it is only supported in 64-bit AMD. Does this mean that if you are running LDME-4, which is 32 bit, Brave won’t work?

Thanks
Barb

Correct. Only Windows is supported on its 32-bit version. I also updated this detail on the original post.

Is all this typed on the same line in the terminal or is it typed as 3 individual entries?

As you see them @wizardcq . Three different lines.

However, you can add them in a single line, but each command has to be separated from the other with the && symbols. :blush: (two of them)

2 Likes

Thank you! Just wondering why some of your text is showing blue on my screen.

1 Like

That’s a forum “code” thing. For some reason, it decides on the colors by itself. :grin:

1 Like

Just did this. Works great! Thanks!

3 Likes

Thx Vasileos i was trying to figure out how to update Brave automatically for the last couple days! This is great!

1 Like

I’m glad it could help! Enjoy!

Am I correct, that Brave doesn’t exist for the Raspberry Pi yet?
What do you think would be a good alternative? Am I correct that the preinstlled Chromium is dodgy, because of Google?
Oh, so many questions :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The Raspberry Pi 4 uses the Arm64 processor, which is not yet supported - at least officially.
As for Chromium, I wouldn’t worry. It’s the base application which Google took and malformed it to create their own tracking-menace AKA Chrome. Therefore Chromium is not connected to Google. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, that’s great to know, thank you! What would we do without you!!

1 Like

It’s always my pleasure! :wink:
As for what you’d do, another fellow Patriot would come to your rescue. :smiley:

1 Like

This is why I love this awesome community, and I promise to help out others, as soon as I have gained some understanding myself.
Feel free to delete this, as it doesn’t really belong to this topic: Why is it that my raspberry plays videos when I on Telegram via the browser, but not when I try via the installed App? I don’t know what I should be trying and searching has been unsucessful :grimacing:

1 Like

Which OS are you running via your Raspberry Pi?
The reason I’m asking is that if you’re using an Ubuntu-based distribution, there’s a SNAP version of Telegram (as opposed to the one in the repositories) that is up to date and as no issues.

1 Like

I am running Raspian Buster, which is what it came with. Althoug I had some issues with repositories at the beginning. When looking for recommended software it came up with this.ErrorRecommendedSoftware
I then got advised on JP’s great telegram chat and did sudo apt update and then sudo apt upgrade. But I think it only offered me oldstable, so I think I am not quite up to date…
I ordered another SD card to try Ubuntu, which might arrive tomorrow (unless it is stuck in CHINA!!). So, once I am using Ubuntu, how does it work with SNAP? Is SNAP some kind of online storelibrary?

SNAP is on by default on Ubuntu and it’s an additional repository which mainly installs applications with all their dependencies in a single folder. So, there are no incompatibility issues (from different version libraries). SNAP also utilizes memory sandboxing, which means that it runs the applications in an isolated part of the memory, so that nothing can get through to your system. :slight_smile:

SNAPS can be installed like any other apps. In the terminal, you can type:

sudo snap install <name of the app>

And the updates go like:

sudo snap refresh

However, they are updated automatically, so you mainly don’t have to worry at all.

Woohoo! Looks like Ubuntu is the way to go then! Thank you, and enjoy your cinnamon rolls! :wink:

1 Like