Problem loading drivers and programs

Here’s another option for black-listing (they keep on shifting back and forth, lately):
Open up a terminal from within Mint and type:

sudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

If it appears to be empty, don’t worry. Add the following lines:

blacklist nouveau
blacklist vga16fb
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

Then save and exit back to the terminal and type:

sudo update-initramfs -u

This should do it and nouveau will be out of the way.

warning: unable to determine the path to install the libglvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config and the libglvnd developement libraries installed, or specify a path with --glvnd-egl-config-path.
so I guess i press ok and watch the giant mushroom cloud come out the keyboard? lol
what do i do now??

I hit OK and well son of gun, it finished installing!! I am back in mint!!! So is there anything I need to clean up in the wake of this process? Any house cleaning due to all the excitement of arm wrestling the HP environment etc. . . ??? any tests to perform to make sure all is well?
I have never been here before. . .you know, it worked and now time for next challenge. . . I am usually reinstalling the whole darn thing!

Hey @Paul ! You didn’t hit respond under my post and I wasn’t notified early enough! LOL

For now, there is no catastrophe you will need to face. Worst-case scenario, you can wait until the next version of NVidia production drivers are out and repeat the process. Until then, I believe you are fine!

Thanks for all the help! I assume that we didn’t block or delete any operations that would create any obstacles for other programs to function. I will try to load up some of the Mint goodies and add on programs to make sure there isn’t any problems. I prefer the Brave browser, so I will attempt that software install and see if it messes with anything else in the programming. So far with mint, I have had problems with installing programs.

1 Like

Since Nouveau drivers are disabled, you won’t be encountering any conflicts.

As it comes to Brave, you can utilize the script I put up for a fast install:

Per any other software, please let me know which ones are giving you trouble and I’ll see how I can help. :blush:

keep getting this:
bash: cd: too many arguments
after running this:
cd Downloads chmod +x ./install_brave_browser.sh ./install_brave_browser.sh

OK, went to your link and found the instructions on cd Downloads
The common problem I have had during my last few installs seems to revolve around an error:
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed to create directory: Read-only file system
dpkg-deb: error: tar subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/apt-transport-https_2.0.6
_all.deb (–unpack):
dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error: unable to create new file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/status-new’: Read-only fil
e system
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - pkgDPkgPM::Go (30: Read-only file system)

This dpkg-deb seems to always cause issues with installs ending up as a read only. Once attempted, all further attempts to load any program ends with the error. Very frustrating to say the least.

the last lines on terminal read the following:

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: Unable to locate package brave-browser
pkd@pkd-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc1xx:~/Downloads$

I believe you’re getting the errors because you placed all commands in one line. Each one of them has its separate line, as it’s posted in the topic. :wink:

I would be interested in backtracking your steps, as the script has worked flawlessly for everyone who ran it. It’s basically nothing more than taking the official website commands and putting them in a row for auto-execution.

I followed the following from your post on Brave Browser:
cd Downloads
chmod +x ./install_brave_browser.sh
./install_brave_browser.sh

This is very interesting. The main drive should be mounted as read/write. Especially when issuing commands as sudo or root.

Can you please open up Gnome-Disks (you can type in “Disks” after you open up your Start Menu), select your system drive, and take a picture?

I am unable to record the screen shot. It will not write to the file. I have tried several file folders from desktop to pictures, to no avail.

Perhaps take a photo from your phone?

I believe that your drive is running on Read-Only because there may be unresolved errors that need to be corrected before it can operate again. That’s why you’re having all these issues.

Please give me a moment.

Please try to run a disk check and then repair - from within your Linux Mint.

ok so I ran a check then a repair filesystems.

Did it find (and fix) any errors?

the check did not find any errors and the repair was a split second and done

here is the whole install attempt from earlier. It may give you some clues:
pkd@pkd-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc1xx:~$ cd Downloads
pkd@pkd-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc1xx:~/Downloads$ chmod +x ./install_brave_browser.sh
pkd@pkd-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc1xx:~/Downloads$ ./install_brave_browser.sh
[sudo] password for pkd:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
curl is already the newest version (7.68.0-1ubuntu2.7).
The following NEW packages will be installed:
apt-transport-https
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,680 B of archives.
After this operation, 162 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 apt-transport-https all 2.0.6 [4,680 B]
Fetched 4,680 B in 0s (9,787 B/s)
dpkg-deb (subprocess): failed to create directory: Read-only file system
dpkg-deb: error: tar subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/apt-transport-https_2.0.6
_all.deb (–unpack):
dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error: unable to create new file ‘/var/lib/dpkg/status-new’: Read-only fil
e system
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - pkgDPkgPM::Go (30: Read-only file system)
curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 2832)
tee: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list: Read-only file system
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main
Ign:1 http://packages.linuxmint.com uma InRelease
Hit:2 http://packages.linuxmint.com uma Release
Err:3 http://packages.linuxmint.com uma Release.gpg
Couldn’t create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.YBwsks for passing config to apt-key
Ign:4 Index of /ubuntu focal-security InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease
Err:5 Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease
Couldn’t create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.3LjUwA for passing config to apt-key
Err:6 Index of /ubuntu focal-security Release
Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_Release - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 91.189.91.38 80]
Hit:7 Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease
Err:7 Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease
Couldn’t create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.6Vy77A for passing config to apt-key
Ign:8 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates InRelease
Ign:9 Index of /ubuntu focal-backports InRelease
Err:10 Index of /ubuntu focal-updates Release
Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_Release - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 91.189.88.142 80]
Err:11 Index of /ubuntu focal-backports Release
Could not open file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_Release - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 91.189.88.152 80]
W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.Ldel7M - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.5WXqWN - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.lvdOtP - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.5KKE6N - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.5XHGnO - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.zxeLQN - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_uma_InRelease - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_uma_Release - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_uma_Release.gpg - pkgAcqMetaSig (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to _apt:root of file /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_uma_Release failed - Item::QueueURI (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0600 of file /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_uma_Release failed - Item::QueueURI (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to root:root of file /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_uma_Release failed - 400::URIFailure (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0644 of file /var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_uma_Release failed - 400::URIFailure (30: Read-only file system)
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://packages.linuxmint.com uma Release: Couldn’t create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.YBwsks for passing config to apt-key
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_InRelease - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to _apt:root of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - Item::QueueURI (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0600 of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - Item::QueueURI (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to root:root of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - 400::URIFailure (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0644 of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - 400::URIFailure (30: Read-only file system)
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease: Couldn’t create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.3LjUwA for passing config to apt-key
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_Release - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
E: The repository ‘Index of /ubuntu focal-security Release’ no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to _apt:root of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - Item::QueueURI (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0600 of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - Item::QueueURI (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to root:root of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - 400::URIFailure (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0644 of file /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease failed - 400::URIFailure (30: Read-only file system)
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: Index of /ubuntu focal InRelease: Couldn’t create temporary file /tmp/apt.conf.6Vy77A for passing config to apt-key
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_InRelease - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_InRelease - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_Release - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
E: The repository ‘Index of /ubuntu focal-updates Release’ no longer has a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_Release - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
E: The repository ‘Index of /ubuntu focal-backports Release’ no longer has a Release file.
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (30: Read-only file system)
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin - RemoveCaches (30: Read-only file system)
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: Unable to locate package brave-browser
pkd@pkd-HP-Pavilion-Laptop-15-cc1xx:~/Downloads$