Brave Browser - Fast Install Script for Ubuntu, Mint and derivatives

LOL thank you and you’re most welcome!
I ate my last ones yesterday, so I’ll have to make another run at the store. :smiley:

Hi Vasileios- I just used your great script to install Brave - thanks!- it worked really well. Just a quick question- Since I am new with the terminal, how do you move the cursor to the next line? I used the && between the lines and typed it continuous. Still figuring out how to move the cursor around - but the terminal is fun :sunglasses:

1 Like

You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the cursor around. You can also click at a specific point or character in the terminal to go there. But, generally you cannot move, say, to the blank space two or three lines down.

Also, the “&&” allows you to do multiple commands in one line. Like so:

sudo apt update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Pressing “Enter” after this would execute both commands back to back. The other way of doing this would be to do each command separately:

sudo apt update

And then:

sudo apt-get upgrade -y

It probably won’t hurt anything, but it effectively does nothing if you put the “&&” at the end like this:

sudo apt update &&

This would run the update command and nothing else.

Does this make sense?

1 Like

When typing a command into the Terminal, you just keep typing on one line until you hit Enter and the command executes. This is different than writing a document. Commands can be listed in a script like what you downloaded from Vasileious. If you were writing a script, that is more like composing a letter and Enter would go to the next line rather than executing a command. Here is a video of some basic Terminal usage.

4 Likes

I will check all of this out- thanks guys👍

You can execute each command by simply pressing the Enter key. :slight_smile:

Thank you Vasileios, i could install Brave with your script and it went wonderfully … and also a big thank you for your dedication to this forum, which makes it great !

2 Likes

Thank you @dppz and welcome to the forums!
I’m glad the little script helped! What I essentially did was to pick up the installation commands from the website itself and add notes in it as to which section does what - in order to help everyone understand (if you open the script via a text editor, you’ll see it).

This is a movement that focuses on human ideals, and since I’m an idealist… it works! :wink:

4 Likes

ah yes @vasileios but are you human? LOL

1 Like

I am blessed and cursed with high empathy, so I guess that makes me… organic at least! LOL

2 Likes

Can Brave run on a system that has a 64-bit processor but a 32-bit Linux version?

OMGosh, me too! I like how you say it’s a blessing AND a curse! So very true! haha

1 Like

Talking about the Empath comment that is.

Hey there @Mlmccabe!
If you’re running a 32-bit version of Linux, then Brave will not work. The reason is that its binary file is for 64-bit architecture - and if you have a 32-bit installed, it will be incapable of interpreting it. :slight_smile:

That it is! It can offer great warnings - but it can be a burden when you’re surrounded by… well - not so good people. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed. :pensive:

And good morning!

Glad you survived your baby duties. We would be lost without you! Also glad to be dealing with a fellow empath. We empaths need to stick together. Especially as the world gets crazier and crazier!

Question: Any idea why my Core 2 Duo does not recognize a 64-bit bootable?

1 Like

thanks you for this @vasileios ! Brave browser installed easily. One thing tho: now as I am using Brave browser, a box pops up asking for authentication. It says my computer log in password doesnt match my keyring log in . I canceled out of it each time it popped up and was able to navigate with Brave no problem and log into different sights as needed. The box eventually stopped popping up. What was that and do I need to do something with it if it comes back?

There are some scenarios, which I faced yesterday when I installed Zorin OS Pro, where some USB thumb drives will not boot. In this case, I used Balena’s Etcher on a 16GB USB stick and it got stuck on a black screen. I then booted into WindowZzz and used Rufus and used a different USB, this time I flashed it by using the “DD” method, not the ISO. Then the USB booted and installed normally.

Linux has a password-protection mechanism, called “keyring.” This one is a default option in all the Gnome-based systems, such as Gnome itself (Ubuntu), MATE, Budgie, Cinnamon, even XFCE. A lot of applications use it - like browsers - since their main back-end is the GTK API. The one Desktop Environment that does not utilize GTK as its backend is KDE (it relies on QT).

When you are on KDE or you enter Linux without a password (automatic login), then Linux considers that you haven’t unlocked the keyring, that’s why it prompts you for it. The password for that keyring is the same as your login one. If you choose to ignore it, then passwords that rely on (or saved in) the keyring will not be available. However, that will not hinder you from working normally. :slight_smile:

ok. Thanks for your response. :slightly_smiling_face: Now its popping up again. " my password no longer matches my keyring" Do I uninstall the keyring? or fix the password? or??? I enter my password but it doesnt take it. FYI: when I boot up linux I always use a password . The error pop up started after brave browser install.