Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hi, I’m looking forward to learning linux. I’m retired but I believe I can still learn new tricks.
I installed Ubuntu on a 6 yr old i3. It “worked” but the wifi didn’t. Very proud of myself when I got that sorted out. I just wish I had written down all the steps I took to fix it.

1 Like

Don’t worry. It has happened to the best of us! When WiFi doesn’t work, we first open a terminal to do a:

lspci

See what model is our WiFi and then search for it with the word Linux attached. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi! I’m PBgirl and I absolutely love this site! Only problem is, take the person here with the least amount of experience with computers and that’s me x10. The one thing I have in my favor is how much I loathe everything google, android and windows so that’s a HUGE motivator!! :grin:

1 Like

Welcome @PBgirl !
And for everyone who is looking how and where to start, you can have a first look here:

:wink:

1 Like

Loving this environment, I believe it is critical to regaining freedom, up to and including the preservation of our nation as intended.

Starting with Ubuntu on a new 2 in1 laptop which works great from a boot disk (micro SD card) and also purchased 3 RP4’s, one of which is in hand and up and running!

Loving linux, can’t wait to transition out my MS junk! Thank you JP for your help, let us build a strong community here, despite any political leanings. Let’s choose freedom first, we can sort out the rest later. Thank you to anyone who chooses to participate on here, stay the course!

GrapheneGoat

2 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Charmin and I am so excited to learn about linux. Between my husband and myself we have 2 iphones, 3 ipads & an IMac running IOS. I purchased a used Macbook Pro and installed Linux Mint on it and anxious to learn more.

3 Likes

Hi,

I’ve downloaded Ubuntu on a very slow computer. Now it’s fast😀 I will download Linux Mint tomorrow. I am liking Linux.
Thanks
Jeff

1 Like

Hi Leigh here , I love an adventure - wish me luck and success and I will wish you the sae in return

2 Likes

You don’t need luck. You got this! :wink:

1 Like

I am new to Linux. I always thought this more for developers. Found Jeff.pro on Telegram an found out different. I have installed Ubuntu on an 4 or 5 year old Dell Laptop and having a few problems. I am not certain what to do. Very long time (3 or 4 minutes) after putting in password, and my mouse is intermittent. I am not certain what to do.

1 Like

Hello Everyone, My name is Mariangela but you will see me here as myundividedlife. My Linux journey is going great! I am running into little snafoos and learning a lot from them. I chose Linux Mint Cinnamon and wiped out windows 7 on an old dell. So far I had to reinstall twice and reset my password twice and now I am getting a new keyboard cuz the old one is worn out; which led to a lot of my issues. I am absolutely LOVING our classes and learning about something I know almost nothing about. The benefits will be huge to all of us. One thing I find essential is to just go slow, think things thru, look things up, and dont worry if you ask for help frequently plus walk away from the computer if you feel stuck and do something you enjoy before coming back. Enjoy your Linux empowerment!

3 Likes

Hi … I’ve used Ubuntu and Mint the last few years. Off and on but never installed. Now I want to install Ubuntu but it goes to your name, location … Then just sits there. The hard drive light blinks. This afternoon it sat there 5 hours! Continue is not active. What do we do? I’m not new to computers or software but to Linux … Help

1 Like

Hello, I’m A-A Ron (some will know this joke). Never was interested in Linux on a PC until I joined the group. Was more into the phone community of rooting and romming. Resurrected an old HP all in one to Linux Mint which I found to be fairly easy and for browsing and emails its great. Where I have trouble is the terminal. Copy and pasting is easy but understanding what the world I’m really doing is going to take some time. I’m very interested in a private email server and setting up in-house cloud storage. I’m also in the LMS group so hopefully I’ll see some of you!

2 Likes

Happy to be a part of this exciting and helpful group. I am Brad, and I am looking forward to learning about Linux and other FOSS.

1 Like

JJ here. I’ve know about Linux for a loooonnnggg time, but trying to find information on how to get started was darn near impossible as I couldn’t find a ‘course’ and anyone who knows anything is too busy trying to make a living. Now that there’s something available, I’d like to get started as soon as possible. Just kidding one up and running for now would be great, then I can start on experimenting with options, etc.

1 Like

hello there hope you are all well.
am i free to say that Jeffrey Peterson has made me a believer. after weeks of procrastination and giving up i finally installed Linux on my new workstation and boy do i love it. Everything about it is beautiful. I love the most is moving from big tech and supporting open source

Am happy to be part of this beautiful group of newbies and converts to Linux. I hope to share learn and create friendships that help us grow as we advocate for open source and a free internet.

Saying Hi from Nairobi Kenya its a pleasure to meet yall.

Nabualke

1 Like

Hello, everyone,
I hope you are all doing wonderfully! Quick intro about me: i joined Jeff’s TE very early on and marvel at the beauty of this community. So much uncertainty as we move into/create a new world, but it fills me to feel the support and enthusiasm of everyone here. Tech is not second nature to me but privacy and justice are, as well as, resourcefulness, persistence, thoroughness. I NEVER GIVE UP :slight_smile: I’m learning one achingly slow step at a time. I am on Apple - iPhone, MacBook Air. My final goal is to convert my current-use MacBook Air 2014 to Linux and be unshackled, soup to nuts, from wifi to email to whatever. My current steps are clean out all email accts, personal files, devices; back up; install Ubuntu on MacBook Air 2008 and learn Linux on it. Then get a pine phone or Braxman de-googled. Shifting my all my habits, esp phone from smart to basic - like the old days. Maybe my 2001 Nokia can be resurrected :slight_smile: I will rejoice when i take a hammer to the iphone, which i will do to Immigrant Song! My job booted me in September and still hassling me bc my role was hi-profile. Minimal resources but know the key to manifestation. C-level executive assistant has been my trade, and am one of the tops…so i make the impossible possible and accurate and seamless, like Ginger Rogers. I am already an ambassador to Jeff/Linux and love to help and encourage others in all possible ways. Will be looking for remote work asap. Am artist/writer/healer… Am learning quantum grammar and ham radios. Am in NY area. WWG1WWA :blue_heart:

2 Likes

This morning I reinstalled Ubuntu on my old Dell. Instead of choosing no password I put in password and the software finished installing. I’m glad. Ubuntu is great! I’m so glad to have found this group on telegram. Also enjoy reading everyones messages.

2 Likes

Hi!! My name is Elizabeth (or Betsy). I’m currently preparing to dump windoz, FB, IG, Msgr, and google, and all that go with those! I’ve been downloading pics, and am about to back up all my files in a few places. I’ve been reading all the instructions and am close to putting Mint Cinnamon on two laptops, then will put Graphene on a Pixel 3xl. Soo excited, this is an answer to prayer!!
Plus, I broke down and ordered a Raspberry Pi 4b today. Woo hoo! And I got a ham handheld, Kenwood, received it today. :heart_eyes:
I am a mother of 3, and have 4 grandkids. This is NOT hard to do!!! I feel the urgency to move into digital freedom. We must make the break from those who want to control us!!
I will also be helping those in my area here to do the same!! I can’t keep this to myself lol!!

Looking forward to learning as much as I can here! Thank you all so much!! :heart: :tada: :tada:

9 Likes

RON SWANSON! He’s MY HERO!!! :smiley:

And that’s how I fix ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING… is that wrong?

1 Like