Say hello and introduce yourself!

Welcome to the Jeff.pro Forums!! Say hello everyone! Let us know how your Linux journey is going!! :partying_face:

12 Likes

Howdy, my name is Dave and I have ā€œrescuedā€ 2 old HP laptops with Linux Mint. I cannot wait to learn more about Linux, especially the command line. I am hoping that what is taught in the class may be discussed here as well because, believe it or not, $20/mo is hard to come by right now, as I am on disability. I am usually around to answer questions but I am an absolute beginner her - I have been using windows since Windows 3.0. Drop me a line, if you want to chat.

13 Likes

Hello everyone!

My LInux journey has taken me as far as choosing the OS I want to install (ubantu) on to an old Dell laptop that I no longer use. Iā€™ve chosen a YouTube video that I believe will help me. My next step is to watch it and see if I understand it enough to try it on my own. Looking forward to watching Jeff.pro Forums grow.

Ruthie

10 Likes

Hi everyone! Happy to start learning with my Raspberry pi400.
Good luck to all as we begin this journey!
So new to all of this but Jeff and all of the admins are doing a great job explaining things so all can understand easily. Thanks for keeping it simple.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Rick. My resurgence in Linux started 3 weeks ago when Apple decided to tell me that they were going to look at my private stuff whenever they wanted. Needless to say, that didnā€™t sit well with me!! So I repurposed my Macbook pro and mini. Pro running dual booted with Ubuntu and Mint Meta and the Mac Mini is running Ubuntu server. Last thing I have to de-apple is my iphone and that is coming to a theater near you soon :slight_smile: Glad to be a part of this movement and hopefully we can start a digital revolution that will be seen and heard around the world. Just say NO to bug tech!!!

14 Likes

Hello, My Linux journey is going GREAT. I am not an experienced Linux user, but have messed around with it in the past. Back then I didnā€™t think Iā€™d have much use for Linux because Microsoft had their claws set in pretty deep. Many years later, I started messing around with RetroPi, and found this community a few weeks ago. I am 100% dedicated Linux now, and love the community. No going back to big tech

7 Likes

Hi Everyone! My name is Denise - from Northern CA. I too am looking to de-Apple my iPhone. I also have a MacBook Pro that I plan to eventually switch to Linux, once I find apps that will carry over my data. I currently have a Dell Latitude running Ubuntu, which Iā€™m using to find apps that I can work with. I sure love the feel of my MacBook, so Iā€™m very hopeful that I will eventually be working exclusively on that in Linux! My ultimate goal is to be able to work in the command line like a BOSS!

8 Likes

Hello everyone! Iā€™m running Mint on a 2012 i Mac. I tried Ubuntu but I couldnā€™t get the keyboard to load so I went with Mint. I also have a 2015 Mac book air that I am looking at switching to Linux in the near future.

7 Likes

Hey everybody! My name is Michael and I am an almost-over-the-hill tech hobbyist and one of the admins here. Iā€™ve greatly enjoyed helping everyone on their journey to digital freedom! And in many cases, I am learning just as much as everyone else, and I look forward to learning even more!

Hereā€™s to the Internet of the Free!

14 Likes

Hi everyone- bob from los angeles here- i have mostly done music production on macs and atari GUI. Really looking forward to getting onto linux with JP and the crew- i already rescued my old 2005 macbook with linux mint- itā€™s pretty remarkable- I thought it was a goner.cheers

5 Likes

Hi,

I am Szilvia from Australia. Have 2 old laptops that plan to bring back to life with Linux. Found Jeff only yesterday and signed up for the announcement straight away as learning is always more fun in like minded groups. Glad to be here.

6 Likes

Hi. I am so happy to be here and learn new computer skillsā€¦ Bring on Linux!

6 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is PQ and Iā€™m winding down a +25 year LE career. I decided at the beginning of this year to go back to school and am a first year Network Administration major at my local community college. Iā€™m currently taking Linux I (of II) this semester and am super excited to learn even more from the ā€˜mastersā€™ in this forum. Iā€™m always willing to help anybody out when and if I can.

7 Likes

Hi! My name is Jen. I had never used Linux before, but Iā€™ve installed Linux Mint on my desktop computer as a virtual machine. It was much easier than I thought it would be. I have no idea about the terminal, but Iā€™d like to learn. I can usually find information online to help me figure things out.

Iā€™ve also bought a Raspberry Pi 4, but havenā€™t gotten it set up yet.

5 Likes

Hello Everyone- Excited for this new journey of Digital Freedom.
Christ following Patriot here from San Tan Valley Arizona. Greetings!! :latin_cross:

6 Likes

: GREETINGS:
~0 For the Zackariah-Lynn: Gilbertā€™s-KNOWLEDGE of the LINUX-[OP]PERATING-SYSTEM IS with the HUMBLE-START by the TARGET-CAMPAIGN: LAW-[EN]FORCEMENT-TRESPASS of this CLAIMANTā€™S-DEVICES: DATE-POSITION: ~SEPTEMBER-~2019 through the NOW-TIME.
~1 For the CAUSE: SHELVING of the LEARNING-PROCESS ARE with the MALESTORM of the BAD-[AC]TORS by this WITNESS, CLAIMANT &: POSTMASTER: Zackariah-Lynn: Gilbertā€™s-KNOWLEDGE.
~2 For the GRATITUDE of the FRESH-START for the KNOWLEDGE: DEVICE-SECURITY with the JEFF.PRO-[AS]SISTANCE IS with this PUBLICATION by this WITNESS, CLAIMANT &: POSTMASTER: Zackariah-Lynn: Gilbertā€™s-KNOWLEDGE.

1 Like

Hello all Iā€™ve been trying out different linux distros since the early linux days, and configuring the modem to dial the internet using ppp. Fun times, anyway relax have fun with this you will learn this. Just remember linux just has different names for the same windows processes in different places is all. If you donā€™t have a spare computer to try on, or are scared to do it. Keep windows and add another ssd hard drive and dual boot linux to learn and play. I have win10 and 3 other ssd dives 1 mx linux 2 linux mint and 3 to try out and play with new distros. Also visit distrowatch.com for a good linux source.

4 Likes

What a great addition! Journey going so well. Two computers loaded with Ubuntu. This weekend I will flip my momā€™s slow laptop. She needs the internet and word processor, so will look at the simple distros that I can set her up for easy use.

6 Likes

Greeting fellow LINUX enthusiasts. My name is Iris, from the West Coast of Canada. Took me a while to even know where to write in this forum. I found Jeffā€™s Telegram Channel ā€œby accident?ā€ Iā€™m a total novice to installing computer operating systems, but hopeful and very enthusiastic about severing ties from BigTech. I have a techie friend who will remote in with me tomorrow night (Sep30/21) and help put something Linux on my 2 yr old HP All-in-one via Virtual Box to start with. I want it to look like MS Win ā€˜cause Iā€™m used to that and will search for similar programs to what I have.

7 Likes

hi folks! super thrilled. not tech adept but getting there. will be putting Linux on 07 MacBook Air. have a '14 MacBook Air and iPhone SE that iā€™ll switch out once iā€™ve learned. Looking for interim ways to de-Apple my life. big interest in privacy and sovereignty. Also learning ham radio so wud love to connect on that, too. Blessings to all of you. Iā€™ll help you in any way I can :slight_smile: Am in NYC. Newly unemployed so new quantum journey WWG1WWA

6 Likes