Say hello and introduce yourself!

Lol! He’s awesome! A hammer can fix many things! Or unfix it, if need be. :rofl:

1 Like

Hi all!
So…
I’ve had a Love/REALLY HATE/Love again/Hate even MORE anew / … with Linux for decades now. It all started with “oh, look, a free OS in the back of this Linux magazine that I can install to Dual boot, because it says in here that I can…” going all wrong, and locking me out of my computer completely. I have to say, I didn’t give up right away - it took about 2 weeks of trying every tutorial I could locate. But eventually I went back to Winders, and I’ve been on a cycle of "Does it again! (see vid reference here), but with very limited, mixed success.
I am now DETERMINED to not give into the “easy” path of, well, giving up my soul to The Debol where my, and, more importantly, my family’s digital (and subsequently RL) freedoms are concerned.

I am here to learn what I don’t know, and help where I can!

“The Swamp” can just rm -rf…

From Russia, With Love
Thorson

5 Likes

Hi all! I am Dani and am totally new to Linux. I have followed Jeff on Telegram from day 1, but it moved so quickly that I got lost. Last night I started reading TG backwards and found the forum someone gave. (TY). I am a long time Windows user (since 1982) and a newer Mac Pro owner. I have both types of computers at home. Last night, my mac installed Big Sur, which took 12+ G of the 16 G on my Mac. And, then, during setup, it said it would not allow split tunneling…so I can’t use my ExpressVPN. So, it’s time for a change. I know little at this point. Which one should I use?Where do I start?

1 Like

Day one, hour one, minute one-ish…

Got my snacks, water, comfy shoes and walking stick. Here we go; a greehorns first foray, into the wide open foss…

WE THE PEOPLE, WIN! [ Referred by CodeMonkeyZ, thank you Ron. ]

Godspeed all of us.

5 Likes

Hello @gmanena!
Welcome to the forums! What you have may be a hard choice to make. Why don’t you start a new topic under the #questions category and post the specs of both your systems? We’ll see which one will work best and take it from there. :blush:

Hello! I’m Pam and I’m enjoying my Linux journey and the community that has gathered here. Jeff and the Admins have been wonderful at creating a place to learn and grow. Thank you all.

2 Likes

Whew, been a heck couple weeks with work…still moving laptop toward linux, just not as fast/easy as I initially thought. But that’s OK! Nothing worthy ever happens in a nano second :grin: so in that light, over on telegram, on JP’s channel, one of the members stressed the importance of password security…I came to realization that I need to circle back to that first & re-analyze & reform how I have things set up. And prolly scale back to bare bones on my internet tracks…

3 Likes

Back when my wife first made her Hotmail account, her password was four letters. FOUR LETTERS! If you could only imagine my bewilderment! Lol

4 Likes

Not really a beginner - I have many years in IT. Been on mainframes (System/370), Unix (SunOS and AT&T), and microcomputers of all varieties running more operating systems than you care to name. (Try PETOS and Idris to name two oddball ones.).

I’ve been on the Telegram chats for a while and I’m an admin on the Amateur Radio Learning Channel. Here to help and provide moral support - and learn stuff too, along the way. I’m rah1420 here and on Telegram, and my email is rich@rah1420.net. Welcome to all newbies!

5 Likes

Hello all… my name is Lori and I’m looking forward to learning a lot more Linux too! Installed one successfully on an HP but having issues with the Acer laptop.

2 Likes

was it, by any chance, SBHX? :wink:

2 Likes

Lol! No, didn’t use this name back then.

1 Like

Hello everyone my name is Richard (Or some can call me by my username) and I moved away from Windows Operating System because I am tired of Microsoft and wanted to move into the world of free and open source software. I even successfully installed Ubuntu on my USB stick and never had any problems using it. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This is Hal. I have dreamed of a forum like this.

4 Likes

Hi Vasileios, I know I ran through a tutorial of lms at the beginning, but (dumb question) how do I go about posting a brand new question? Where on this site? I am reading, following and I can reply to someone, but no idea how to post a new question. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Howdy all, This forum is looking great. I have been a windows user forever but never really became tech savvy. I just installed Mint on the first laptop and it is so satisfying. Now i need to look at email. I always have employer supplied work email but I have been using Gmail for personal email for a long time and feel like this is a good time to break away. I just need to learn a little more on the subject. once that hurdle is done i will get the desk top and the other two laptops running Linux as well. Thanks for all the great info, stories and support.

3 Likes

Hi everyone . I’m glad to be here. I’m from the Eastern Shore Maryland. I’ve Linuxed my laptop and now trying to get my Dell Xps to do the same. It’s not working. That dam RST.
I’m so glad to get away from the spying eyes of Microsoft and of course so many others.

2 Likes

Hey @Tinsche!
I apologize for my delayed response. A video tutorial took me a bit more than I had hoped, but it’s done now.
To post a new question, just head to the main page on the forums and on the right side you will see the button that reads New Topic. Click on it and it will open the new post page. In the categories, select Questions. Alternatively, follow this channel link: #questions and post a new topic there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

G’day Frens,

Like many, I am giving big tech the two-fingered salute and moved from Win10 to Ubuntu a couple of weekends ago.

Despite building a solid Win10-based gaming PC, this poor simple Aussie is swimming up s**t creek without a paddle when it comes to this. Way over my head! :rofl:

Thanks to those who have formed this forum and community on such a short time frame, i’m sure Linux will continue to get a lot more attention in the coming months.

I’m not huge into gaming as much as I used to, but still want to have Steam handy, got a few other things I need help installing as well.

Mitch
Regional NSW, Australia.

4 Likes

Hello everyone, My name is Jared. I have recently turned my old gaming computer from windows 10 to Linux Mint! I am excited for the future of being a part of this community and hope to change careers into programming/coder. I am currently a nurse from TN but they are always pushing these mandates and I want an alternative steam of income for better safety/security for my family. So excited to get to know you all better!

3 Likes