Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hello from Switzerland,
I recently had IT support to install Linux Mint on my laptop, now I have to learn how to use it​:laughing::laughing: With the first look it seems very user friendly but where do I start? Some seminars for beginners?
Thank you,
Chrysa.

1 Like

Hello. My name is Taryn and I have been using a Linux for the last couple of years…quite honestly, I know that I haven’t used it to it’s potential. A friend of mine salvaged this tower and put Linux on it and gave it to my family to use. I have learned a lot but think I can learn more. Anyone have advice on a browser? Firefox is currently installed. I’m open to something more private but unsure what direction to go. Thank you all in advance. Please to ‘meet’ you all :blush:

1 Like

@Grisu there is a great class offered here for a reasonable price there are a ton of archived lessons so that you can go back and learn from the beginning or to just pick and choose the topics that interest you. If you any specific questions please post it under Questions and someone will be sure to answer you. Cheers and welcome to taking back your digital freedom!!

1 Like

@Tarynleigh I am pretty new myself but after listening to the debates I went with Brave for my browser and if that interests you @vasileios wrote a great script to download it and install it from the command line:

Cheers!!

1 Like

@Grisu, to add to @BigDaveAZ’s suggestion (I love the beginner’s class he mentioned, done so much with Linux with those lessons). I also suggest just poke around as you try to use it as any other machine you had before. When I have questions, I usually search online, then here. If I am still stuck, I will post a question here.

Welcome, enjoy your adventure into the Linux/FOSS land!

4 Likes

Hello! Brand new and seeking to learn. I am very grateful to have found this forum.

3 Likes

Thank you for the reply.
I don’t find any information for the beginner’s class here. Can you send me the link please?
Thank you!

Hello,

I’m new to Jeff Pro forums. I’m running Ubuntu on an old Dell Inspiron 15. I upgraded to a 4GB SSD and maxed out the ram before installing. It’s working pretty well. Thunderbird Mail serves my purposes.

I have a Lenovo M10 FHD plus that I want to install Ubuntu touch. I’m not sure where to start.

I also want to learn to navigate the LINUX world.

Happy Wednesday,

Tybeeman

They open up for enrollment every month. You can either watch Jeff’s Telegram channel (Telegram: Contact @jeffrey_peterson)for announcement or write to support@jeff.pro to see if there are still openings.

@Tybeeman, welcome!

Looks like you are doing very well already!

I don’t have touch screen devices but I can tell you that I’m learning Linux by problems I encountered and most of time solving them. Lots of answers online and here. Linux for Beginners Jeff and Vasileios teach are super helpful for a newbie like me.

If you are interested taking the class, watch for the monthly announcement on Jeff’s Telegram (Telegram: Contact @jeffrey_peterson)) or write tosupport@jeff.pro to see if there are still openings.

1 Like

Hello all,
My name is Sandra (rasses2)
I am a granny who 10 years ago started using Mint and Suse with the help of my IT guy. I enjoyed the experience for the most part but I was still working and had two major programs that were not Linux compatible. We tried using Windows within the Linux but it because too much for me and I did not have the time to learn the basics. Now that I am retired I have the time to study and I am motivated by the desire to secure my privacy. My goal is to switch to a laptop with a Linux OS and then to tackle the issue of finding a secure phone. Later I might consider a private VPN and Cloud if I make it that far. LOL I am so grateful for this forum and the Linux Course. Thanks Jeff for making this happen. Vasileios I just love your cheerful smile and your input. Jeff your voice is so reassuring and calm. God Bless you both.
Sandra

4 Likes

@rasses2 I agree Jeff and @vasileios are a godsend. Keep up the learning, it helps. Cheers!!

1 Like

Hello from South Australia!

I have been following Jeff.Pro on Telegram for ~ a year after it being shared in a local health group channel. I started the journey solo just picking up bits an pieces from the telegram chat and my guilty pleasure - YouTube. Firstly I installed Linux (Ubunutu) on my personal laptop. Next, it was degoogling my OnePlus 5 (few years old but still works well!) and installing Lineage OS. Then it was social media, namely, Facebook, which I removed earlier this year after crawling back a few time like most who try and quit smoking. Telegram is my only social media now. It has been refreshing to go back to call / text / email - I have become more intentional and present to those around me, and more focused on learning things that I may otherwise not had the time for.

This year at work I put my hand up to manage our database and QAQC which has exposed me to the architecture of forms, keys, and SQL. Recently, I have been learning Python for data transformation instead of Microsoft Excel. I have support here with colleagues who have experience, and I have seen the benefits of moving away from excel, especially with big data sets.

Moving forward, I realise that I need to be around like-minded people to bounce ideas, and ask for help - especially as I want to venture into the unknown of creating a VPN / VPS. Gmail is the last “Big Tech” that I am holding onto and it is the elephant in the room that I have been ignoring for a few months now. It is time to go!

Kind regards,
James - South Australia

2 Likes

Just installed Linux Mint on a new desktop that came with Windows 11. Wiped Windows off after being in it long enough to change the BIOS. I’ve been doing this a little less than a year and this is the 4th computer on Linux…some have had multiple distros and my son has even changed distros on one of them on his own! Even got a video camera to work!

3 Likes

Welcome! I’m a super slow Python newbie, taking my time with it. :sweat_smile:

I am also a newish Linux newbie, I started on VPS to get use to Linux some. VPN and VPS Setup is where most people find to get a VPN setup.

If you are not in Jeff’s Linux beginner class, make sure to find reserach for setting up firewall, key pair login and disable root login before setting up the VPN.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

1 Like

I saw that you’ve worked with CNC. I’m looking to run my bench top CNC mill on Linux and looking for advice, tips, wherever I can get it. I also am a pilot/mechanic, at one time with MAF.

Hi there! Been thinking about starting to work my way away from big tech. Bought a refurbished T420 think pad, win 10 installed, SSD dies within 3 months…Perfect time to leave 500GB free space during win 10 install. After working out some issues with Win OS not being recognized during Linux Mint cinnamon install and a few other mistakes trying to partition manually through the something else tab. I am up and running with on Linux Mint dual boot alongside Win 10 pro. Now to get Brave browser to work, haven’t looked into it yet. My end goal is to get Forscan, HP Tuners VCM editor/scanner and possibly Ford IDS, FRDS and FRJS programs to work on Linux Mint or another distro.

1 Like

Hello FOSS members! Im seeking, very specifically, for a independent contractor or small business in Phoenix, AZ that installs and manages Linux operating systems for other small businesses. I don’t have the time or the bandwidth to do this for my staff computers so I’d want to partner/hire someone that does this for their living. If anyone knows or can refer to me IN PHOENIX preferably, please DM me. Thanks Guys!

Welcome Korbelbrandi,
just a suggestion, you might want to make a “help wanted” thread under the “Classified” and link or tag it to the “Business” Categories to get more eyes on … especially those with such skills …I’m not one of them and just trying to help … :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello, my name is Mike and I’ve been following Jeff for almost a year on TG. Been dragging my feet getting started for a few months but I’m finally in the groove. Like most others, I want more privacy and security.

I have some prior experience with Unix/Linux, just never became expert at it. I’m a retired long time IT guy who started as a NetWare admin, moved to Microsoft and Cisco before I transitioned into management and the tech magic I possessed slipped from my fingertips after a few years of managing teams/projects. I did get trained as a SCO Unix admin a long time ago, played with early Linux distros when they truly sucked to get working, and have installed and ran a few newer distros in the least couple years but never committed fully to it. Ready to make that change now.

Have toyed with the of becoming a PEN tester, will see if that becomes something eventually.

Looking forward to the journey with you all.