Say hello and introduce yourself!

@AMomarch welcome to the forums and when you are ready throw up a flare in the questions section and someone here is always happy to help. Welcome to the first step of regaining your digital freedom. I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am fairly Linux illiterate myself but I am mastering the art of installing different distros and I am getting ready to attempt to load a new Linux OS on my phone. If the world is going to hell, this is the boat to be in. Cheers!!

1 Like

Hello JeffPro fans. I am Dean and I come in peace looking for help/guidance in learning Linux. I bought a 2016 MacBook Pro, installed Ubuntu 20.04 and started getting it set up like I wanted. I was so pleased with how it was going until I noticed I had no sound. I would get the start up sound during boot up so I knew they worked. I tried combing the internet trying every suggestion out there and nothing worked. I wasted three days of my life looking for a solution. Iā€™m older than dirt so wasted days mean a lot to me so, I wiped Ubuntu and reloaded macOS Monterey. And here I am at 3 in the morning looking for another direction.

Greetings like-minded citizens!

Been ā€œM wordā€ dominated since 1990 when 3.1 (visually enhanced DOS) was the only choice for a pc based operating system (O/S) other than Mac. This dominance continued through work and academic affiliations and was the only ā€œapprovedā€ platform software and application suite choice allowed, mostly for device interoperabilityā€  and ā€œinformation securityā€ administration purposes.

My name is Lori, and itā€™s great to be here! There is so much I do not know about Free and Open Source (FOSS) and this is my main purpose in expanding my knowledge and applied skill for self sufficiency. Have a formal ed and science degree, as a database admin. Have a decent knowledge of network technology as well as lots of historical information system/communications development experience.

Networking technologies changed everything from a competitive development environment and proprietary software perspective as market share dominance in the form of monopolistic corporate/governmental interference remains tyrannical to this day. Terms and Conditions contracts governing our lives are in direct assault of our constitutional rights as free people! 

I need freedom to survive, my family, community, all need and ask my help for survivals sake. I seek to build from my past and move forward with all of you with honesty and commitment, thank you for listening, way glad to have this opportunity as a white-haired granny!

Welcome @kdk, while I am not the guy to answer this particular question, I want to you to know that the group here is extremely helpful and @vasileios is a ROCKSTAR when it comes to helping out. I swear that guy somehow has 40 hour days with all he accomplishes! My suggestion would be to try the install again and if you encounter the same issue, post it in questions and then someone will help with the next steps. Donā€™t stop trying and persevere - this is your freedom.

1 Like

@Pugheads it is always a pleasure to welcome like minded individuals to the forums. Remember there is nothing less than your digital freedom at stake. The Big Guys already know waaay too much about us.

1 Like

Hi everybody my name is Ed,

I live in Luxembourg Europe, Iā€™m married to a Texan gal from the panhandle, I use to drive tour buses in Europe, therefore the Texan.

The reason I am here is because I have SOOOO enough of that Mickeysoft junk, that I need an alternative. I am brand new to Linux, and at the moment I am still just poking around, and it looks like here I can find the help that I need, to get rid of Mickeysoft as quick as possible!

I wish yā€™all all the best, and letā€™s go from here on,
Ed

1 Like

Hi , Peter from Australia Converted an Acer Ultrabook to Mint a couple of months ago .Looking forward to learning more and encouraging others to make the changeā€¦

1 Like

Hello everyone Dave here. I hope to learn as much as I can. Blessings to all.

1 Like

Hey Iā€™m TJ and Iā€™m transitioning from hospice nursing. My oldest son is an infrastructure analyst and heā€™s helping me study for the compTIA A+, Security+ and Network+ certs. Iā€™m leaning towards cybersecurity and have much to learn. Was on telegram observing Jeff.pro for awhile and this community is amazing so Iā€™m looking forward to growing my open source experience abundantly!

2 Likes

A warm hello to our newest members and welcome to your Digital Freedom!
Itā€™s a journey that may take a little while to get accustomed to, but itā€™s most definitely worth it!

1 Like

Hi I Sheree. I am so new that I donā€™t even know where to begin. All I know is that I donā€™t want to use windows or google anymore. I have been a computer user since the 80ā€™s I did some programming on Linux in college and learned Macintosh there as well. I have since been a windows user. The only Linux I am familiar with now is Steam OS, (my family owns a steam machine for gaming, it doesnā€™t even load any more though). I have no idea what the current Linux OS available are now or how to choose one. I consider myself techy so I am sure I could install one myself if I knew where to start. I canā€™t wait to get a hold of all of my old computers to sample with Linux on them! I am looking at a dell latitude D630 to start withā€¦

1 Like

@Sweets I think you have a handle on the next step. Check out
https://distrowatch.org and pick a few that look like you might like to try them. Then Try them out Live (running from the USB) and pick the one you like best and try it for a month or so, then try another one that looked good (if there was one) and backup your info and install the next one. We are happy to answer any questions you may have and will always help with the next step when you get there. Cheers!!

1 Like

well thank you so much @BigDaveAZ

2 Likes

My name is Chuck and I live in AZ. I am a computer person for 45+ years and have worked with just about everything. Databases are my biggest love in the computer realm.

I recently retired and am having fun playing with new things.

1 Like

@chuck I am finding that there are a lot of us in AZ. I, too, have been into computers for a while - 30+ years. I am enjoying learning all the new things in this group. Cheers!!

2 Likes

@Phobos,

I am having VPN problems after switching to Linux. Curious to know which one you are using?

John

1 Like
1 Like

Not sure if you found your answerā€¦ but there is an older post about this issue. No Sound on 2016 Macbook Pro with Ubuntu.

Also, Ubuntu 22.04 is out, so that may work out of the box (or the installation USB :grin:).

Donā€™t give up, lots of smart older and wiser people here have got Linux on all kinds of computers already!

2 Likes

I use Private Internet Access. The account also supports Socks5 proxy Which I use for torrents and Telegram etc.

@kdk, Hello Dean. Hey! Iā€™m older than dirt and watched as dirt formed from dust! LOL!! Welcome to Linux! Right here on forums.jeff.pro is the place to be. Along with all the great channels in Telegram. I see @Ai sent a link with a possible cure. I hope it worked for you. If not, I can offer another option. That would be to try another distro. It sounds like you have mastered creating Live Bootable media. Thatā€™s the first and very important step on your way to freedom. Iā€™ve lost track of how many distros Iā€™ve tried but can say that I have Mint on this Dell and in VirtualBox I have 14 distros as Virtual Machines currently. Once you get going, I highly recommend giving it a try. Try one, delete it and try another. On the Dell and the HP laptop, I can run more than one machine at a time. Let me know if youā€™re interested. I have a guide for installing systems in VirtualBox that may provide helpful.
Happy Linuxing!!! :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

2 Likes