Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hi!
I’m Toby and I live in South Australia. I am a butcher by trade but use computers a lot in my spare time.

Grew up on MacOS and eventually used Windows for gaming and study when I moved out of home.

I’m interested if Linux & foss could be used in a way that helps Australians break out of the rut we have found ourselves in.

Look forward to browsing the forum and learning linux! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, my name is Donna, my grand kids call me Nana. I purchased a deGoogled Dell Latitude and a deGoogled Pixel 3 Phone from EBay online. I signed up with jeff.pro last September, using my Gmail account from my MacBookAir(Googled/Face Book/Windows). I learned enough to invest in change. I found help also from Bones’ Tech Garage and the Tech Garage Chat with Dale Gribble, Lone Ranger and others. I learned I’m not advanced in my terminology and knowledge to utilize their help, although I am aware they are very patient. I found that I have many videos from jeff.pro to get me knowledgeable. I have questions and I look forward to get things set up on my Dell so I can then maybe clean up that MacBookAir and my Android phone.

Hi Dale, where do I go to post this as a separate topic so someone will take a look at it?

Hi, Donna. All you need to do is just start a new thread. Give a brief summary of the issue and someone will come along and answer. This works out well if you don’t have time to sit and wait for a response.

This is a great resource to pick up some vocabulary that we throw around often.

Hello, I’m Mac. I got my first computer in 1988. Installed ubuntu about 15 yrs ago, then got away from it for a while. I’ve just converted a Chromebook to ubuntu and have a dual install on another laptop. Now I’m trying to do the phone swap. Bought a Pixel 3 supposedly unlocked but bootloader was locked. Be aware that unlocked is not always totally unlocked. I’ll get there eventually. Love this channel. Will lead to good things.

2 Likes

Hi… brand new here and to all this so have a long path ahead. All I know is that I want freedom from being tracked on all my devices. I just started following Jeff on TG and will get familiar with things by-the-by. Thanks for having me and look forward to learning and contributing learned knowledge to beginners like myself in the future. Baby steps onward! :baby:

Hello,
I’m in California and I work in the animation industry. I have used macs for years but a few months ago I bought a windows pc … what a mistake. Long story short I found this forum. Now I’ve converted the PC into a linux machine with Ubuntu and love it. I’d like to convert my iMac and my iPhone 7 too.

I had no idea linux was so well developed! I’m so lucky to have found this forum.

Thanks! Appreciate your response. Didn’t see your post previously for some reason. Awesome people here, so glad I found this wonderful group.

Hello, I’m Sara. I’ve been using Linux (from the GUI only) for several years now. Just recently loaded the Brave browser on my laptop using the command line. :tada: First time for everything, right? I’m really looking forward to learning how to secure my digital privacy here. Thanks so much!

Same here, new computer

Hello everyone,
I just joined and am relatively new to messing with android phones in terms of de-googling them. I have some experience with trying out different distros on the PinePhone I bought a few months ago, but ultimately decided that none of the available distros are ready for use as a daily driver. I am currently trying to unlock the boot loader on two Moto G7’s (one for me and one for my mother), but keep on getting an error message in SDK tools. I have already enabled USB debugging and OEM unlocking, but when typing in adb, i get the following error message:
(bootloader) Unlock data:
(bootloader) Unlock data unavailable
(bootloader) Failed
OKAY [ 0.016s]
Finished. Total time: 0.016s

Please help!

Thanks

Buonasera, mi chiamo Antonio, scrivo dall’Italia, mi sono unito al gruppo perchè seguo la chat telegram. desidero cambiare windows in linux e imparare al più presto. grazie per avermi accettato. cordiali saluti Antonio

1 Like

Hello everyone. My name is Thirza. I do not understand computers at all, and I’m way out of my comfort zone here. I understand about every third or fourth word of what is being said. It seems to be in English, but I can’t make any meaning out of it. Nevertheless, I despise big tech, and did long before all the stuff we are learning about them now. I had to be forced into using a computer by a job 30 years ago, never liked it, never trusted it, and never wanted anything to do with it. I was forced into using email by a college professor 25 years ago, who wouldn’t allow us to graduate if we didn’t use it. I have resisted cell phones until last year, when Windstream stopped maintaing our phone line. After a year, I can just about make a call or answer a call on that phone. That said, there is tremendous power in the internet, and I’m not giving that up, so I guess I’m going to try to learn linux. Pray for me.

4 Likes

@blessedandold Welcome to the first step of taking back your freedom from Big Tech. Everyone here is very helpful and the admins are great. Let us know what YOU want to do and we will help.

1 Like

Right now, I don’t even know enough to know what to ask. I have a friend who sets up, maintains and repairs computers for banks, insurance companies and the like. I asked him a few weeks ago if he had any beater laptops laying around that were good enough to run Linux. He found a Fujitsu in their recyling pile and put Ubuntu on it for us. My husband and I are noodling around on it and figuring it out, but the Windows machine I’m on, which is only a couple of years old, is getting increasingly unstable and I figure I’m either going to have to convert it or get a new machine sooner rather than later. I may just wave the white flag and take it to my friend as well, but I’m trying to learn all I can from reading the forums and articles at the moment. I’m in so far over my head that I’m drowning.

@blessedandold totally understandable. What do you use your computer for? Also, do you know which version of Linux you have? (Mint, LinuxLite, Zorin, etc.) if you do not know which version type hostnamectl into the terminal.
For the basics I use Thunderbird for email and Brave for an Internet browser. To get the Brave browser follow these directions
Brave Browser - Fast Install Script for Ubuntu, Mint and derivatives
Depending on whoch distro (version) you are using Thunderbird may or may not be alreday installed but will be available through your software manager, which we can get into later. The admins here as well the community in general are extremely helpful. @vasileios is the man around here and I am sure he will monitor this conversation and add his $.02 which is worth $1,000,000. Cheers!

1 Like

@vasileios also made a thread on which all of the terminal commands are in.

These are his words and not mine.

2 Likes

I am a published writer, and I used to use my computer extensively for that purpose, but the publishing industry is very much in flux and I haven’t done anything in years. I do still like to be able to write, however, if the opportunity presents itself. I used social media extensively to preach the gospel and to try to awaken people, but I am now banned from facebook, instagram, and twitter. I’m just waiting my turn to get on truth social. I use youtube extensively to constantly learn new skills. I do research and shopping online. When I say “research,” I mean both political research and research for parts and materials I need. I’m a weird person who tries to do as much for myself as possible (hence my being here), even when it causes me great frustration. I very much believe in being home with my family, prepped for most situations, and able to take care of us without needing cash. Hence my doing much shopping type research. Finding parts for a 50 year old spinning wheel or a 30 year old chainsaw is not something you can just do at Walmart. Finding open pollinated heritage seeds is not something you do at Walmart.

Okay, I gotta ask. You aren’t the same BigDave that I was friends with on twitter until I got banned a week ago, are you?

Oh, as to your other question, the beater computer has ubuntu on it. So far, we’ve been able to do what we need to with it. I’m thinking I might want to put mint on this one, but I’m more than a little leery of tackling it myself. I can use a computer, but I know nothing about how to work on a computer.

@blessedandold I am not the same Dave, sorry. If it is an older computer I would hesitate to put the newest version of Mint on it, but there is no better way to learn the basics than installing a new version (either in a dual boot or a remove and replace). As the saying goes - there is nothing to it, but to do it. Make sure you have everything saved from the “beater”, if you have been saving to the hard drive. https://linuxmint.com/ will be where to get Mint and the instructions for installation. Your first step will be to download the .iso file from the website mentioned above. The Instructions from there can be found at Linux Mint Installation Guide — Linux Mint Installation Guide documentation. If it is an older laptop I have had good experience with https://www.linuxliteos.com/. If you want more options for distros (what the different distributions or flavors of Linux are called) for beginners check out Top 9 Best Linux Distributions for Beginners [2022]. What Windoze program were you using to write? If it was just MS Word than the Word Processor component of Libre Office (which comes already bundled on most beginner distros). Let us know how it goes or post a question under the questions topic. Good Luck and we are here for you. Cheers!

1 Like