Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hi! I am a soon-to-be retiring teacher. I had a student try to talk me into switching to Linux 25 years ago, but I did not listen. I figured it was too hard (this kid was an self-taught uber-programmer in high school). Once CodeMonkey advertised this group, I joined and followed. After following for a while, I took the plunge and just installed Pop OS on my PC and have been playing around with it today. As an avid computer gamer, it will be hard to cut ties with Windows as some of my favorite games are Windows-only. I guess I will be researching dual boots and/or Windows emulators soon (Are emulators still a thing?).

2 Likes

Hi there, happy to be here with you all. Trying to set up a new laptop computer without signing in Microsoft on Windows 11 but no luck. Signed up for the course and hoping to learn a lot. Have a fabulous weekend

1 Like

Hi Nikki. Are you looking to set up your computer without using windows at all? If so, thereā€™s no need to sign into windows unless you need it to create you Linux bootable USB. There are lots of great people on here that can help if you have any questions. Lots of times I find someone else has already asked it. Welcome and good luck! Iā€™ll be happy to help with anything I can as well.
Kat

1 Like

Hello Alex! Youā€™ll find lots of great people here willing to help. Good luck!
Kat

1 Like

Thank you, I have a few sites to check out and have gotten some great response and tips. What a wonderful community. Will post later once I have a chance to check out these options. Have a great day

1 Like

Hi @DougTheThugg, welcome to the forum. A lot of good info and Vasileios is great in here. Always has good suggestions, tips, and advise.

2 Likes

Thx for bringing this forum to Telegram. I am kind of late starting this venture. About 2 weeks ago I realized I had an older Lenovo Ideapad my wife inherited from her job that had not been turned on in 3-4 years. As a Mac user for 15 years I was not sure I wanted start with my notebook so the Lenovo was perfect. It fired up and was running Windows Vista. I couldnā€™t wait to wipe it and try installing Mintā€¦ā€¦ā€¦it worked! Now I am learning Linux and loving it.
Thx again, a fellow patriot,
Rob

Hi Everyone!

My name is Tora. I am completely non-technical and am very new to the linux scene. I was introduced to this Forum from William on his telegram channel. I am a farmer by trade.

I am only familiar with Windows but am far too familiar with Gates to be ok still using it. So I am looking at installing linux on my business computer.

Its a Dell Optiplex 780, I think.

Being very upfront I have no clue what I am doing, I have never used FOSS for anything so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction that would be fantastic. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi I am JanQ and loving Linux. So much to learn! This is a great way to fright for our freedom and great country! So glad to be on this journey with so many!

2 Likes

Welcome to the first step of reclaiming your digital freedom. The admins here are great. I canā€™t tell you how many times @vasileios has pulled me out of a jam. This place is a great place to get help.

Cheers!!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the first step of reclaiming your digital freedom. The admins here are great. Before switching your business computer, do you have a different computer to try it out? This is always the advisable way to start. Before doing anything to the business computer PLEASE make sure you backup all important files. There are some great posts and everyone is incredibly helpful. Any questions - just post it in the questions thread. Cheers!

1 Like

Welcome to the first step of reclaiming your digital freedom. The admins here are great. Donā€™t hesitate to post any questions in the questions thread. Cheers!

2 Likes

No other computer at the moment but I am in the unique position where all of my business records are handwritten (privileges of being a farmer) and I have not needed a computer yet, so there is nothing I would be loosing if I were to make a mistake.

I am expanding, though, so having some things digital will smooth the transition. My Dell computer has sat quasi dormant since I graduated business school in 2015 and I figured I might as well start off on the right footing and have FOSS right from the start.

1 Like

You are going in the right direction by joining this forum. Here you will get all the help you need and much faster than you would expect! :grinning:

2 Likes

Hello, I have a degree in computers , but primarily a windows networking or Mac power user. Iā€™ve known about the Unix world, but never had time to learn. One daughter is in college and one is almost there. So, with a nearly empty nest, its time for a new project. Why not learn Linux? Besides, what better way to encourage my girls to continue learning?

Its going smoother than I thought it would be. I have Linux mint on an old HP stream and Ubuntu on a vps. It is good to take back control.

I am impressed how patient @vasileios and Jeff and the other admins on telegram are with the newbies. I like the atmosphere of respect regardless where people are on this journey. Sure, I have to fast forward through some of the basics, but its good they are included. Iā€™m excited for this journey!

2 Likes

Hi,
I found you on Telegram and got here eventually.
I decided to move out of regular Android and windows on my laptops.
I installed Manjaro on one old HP laptop, that works well and does what it needs.
I have a OnePlus 5T to get rid of Android and put Lineage OS - it didnā€™t work when I tried it a while ago, and iā€™ll give it a go using Linux, this time.
I am trying to install a small distro Linux (Puppy, Slax or AntiX - my favourite) on a HP Pavilion X2, 10.1", with no CD but with one USB slot. Antix works from a VirtualMachine but it wonā€™t boot and install itself and I get some sort of messages (one file missing). I disabled some security on BIOS and disabled BitLocker. Any help/ advice will be much appreciated.

Thatā€™s what i have done and the intention of doing.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey there.

I believe we spoke on the Telegram channel if you could post this as a separate topic someone will take a look at it. This thread is not monitored often by Admins.

Hello all.

Some have seen me lurking around for some time here and on the Telegram chat as MrDeplorableUSA.
My name is Bill, Iā€™m from the communist state of Illinois.

Iā€™ve been dabbling in Linux since '99 beginning on Caldera where I hosted an ran my own Quake servers(highly popular first person shooter of yesteryear).

Iā€™m by no means a Linux expert, novice at best in my book.

I have setup and ran numerous mail, web, irc servers over the years and dabbled in the younger market of social media writing my own family/friends php site from scratch, long since dead with all the FB and TW backed with taxpayer funded money.

Iā€™m not on FB or TW any more I use Telegram, have a Gettr and Gab.

The one thing I have going for me on Linux is my willingness to spend hours looking something up and reading.

I have 8 systems operating at this point. 1 pc server/media Center, 4 laptops(all 5 Ubuntu) and 3 RPI 4s(LibreElec and Kodi)

I have about a half dozen RPI 1 & 2s collecting dust and unsure of what to do with them now but have numerous projects bookmarked.

2 Likes

Quake 3 was my happy place :+1: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks Dale. I will post this as a separate topic.