Ubuntu 20.04.3 - no Wifi adapter / no Bluetooth!

I’ve tried 2020.3 LTS Unity and that is very screwed up. The Unity app itself doesn’t even render properly.

Could try 2021 I guess, but that’s pretty new.

What version of Ubuntu would I need for the 5.12 kernel? Very unsure about installing an old version (drivers etc.)

2021 Unity doesn’t play well at all either.

From what I can tell from reading - Ubuntu 21.04 has 5.11 kernel, so I’d then have to install 5.12 kernel afterwards. Can you point me towards that?

Thanks so much.

It’s funny indeed. Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS has the 5.11 Kernel and the 20.10 has the 5.13 Kernel! :laughing:

To have all the kernels available on Ubuntu 20.04.3 you will need to install the mainline repository. The full instructions are below:

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2020/08/mainline-install-latest-kernel-ubuntu-linux-mint/

Then you can run it and select which version of Kernel you want. :slight_smile:

So I installed 20.04 and 5.12.14 kernel and got WiFi. Yay! Rebooted a couple of times to make sure and all good.

Installed Unity Hub and then Unity 2019 (because that worked before) and was in the process of trying to get it working (eg. installed java and python) but after rebooting I’ve lost WiFi again.

This is REALLY starting to do my head in.

Any ideas?

I’m on my phone right now, so please forgive if my answer isn’t the traditionally lengthy. :blush:

What I would recommend is to reinstall the kernel. Perhaps the updates it does, fix your WiFi.

That’s ok! Not expecting instant or lengthy responses from you! =)

1 Like

I’m also a writer and - at times - I can write entire textbooks! :laughing:

I think I’ve reached a decision in that I’m going to have to install Toxic Windows Spyware from the Microsoft Criminal Cabal. I really, really hate this, but I feel I have nowhere else to go if I’m going to get a viable system working.

I really appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this mess I find myself in, but it just keeps getting worse. I can’t get Unity working properly and now it even looks like crap, rendering very poorly on-screen.

I’ve tried every combination of versions of Unity, Ubuntu and the kernel, but to no avail. Even if I managed to patch something together, I’d dread the first upgrade to any of these in the future.

I’ll sleep on this before I do anything.

Many, many thanks again.

Gonna have one more go with 21.10. Can’t bear the thought of Windows.

I know the feeling of Windows trying to creep in and then feel disgusted when you look at it. I still have a drive - disconnected though - with it and Windows just sits there, bare.

Okay, is Ubuntu the only Linux Unity is compatible with? Perhaps you could try Manjaro and find it in the AUR (Arch User Repository) there. This could be a very good option, especially since Manjaro runs on Kernel 5.13.

Apparently Ubuntu and CentOS7 … what do you know about that?

Happy to try Manjero – is there an iso I can flash to USB? All I could see was references to torrent which I’m not familiar with. Reading a bit more it seems to involve git and then building. Have to admit I don’t fully understand the process…

Tried installing CentOS but the installation procedure is very low level - eg. network device setup. Couldn’t get that to work.

CentOS 7 is quite old! There’s version 8 and version 8 Streaming.

Yeah I used the latest - can’t remember which version

I’ll try Manjaro. Any tips greatly appreciated. Got to figure out how to create a bootable USB from the torrent file I downloaded (30K)

Forget that - finally found an iso file to download for Manjaro

1 Like

Got Manjaro installed =)
Opted for the KDE Plasma UI
Looks good and more feature rich than Ubuntu

Got Unity going… but now I can’t get Android build support, which is normally easy thru Unity Hub =(

Looks like I’m going to have to hack this (Unity Android support) together manually. Don’t know where to start atm

1 Like

Turns out that was a missing cpio command… good job some people are clever enough to figure this stuff out. That one was way beyond me haha

1 Like

That file is legendary! I had use for it also a while back. It bugged me so much I called C3P0! :laughing:

1 Like