Ubuntu 20.04.3 - no Wifi adapter / no Bluetooth!

Clean up is a clean install, yes - and set up the system file backup process. However, you can skip that if you’re good with working without WiFi. And since Unity installed on the 5.14 Kernel, I believe you won’t have trouble installing it on the 21.10 Ubuntu.

In my humble opinion, it’s best to work from a fully functional system than going too deep with one that has issues. Just my two cents. :wink:

Though I know it’s an incovenience.

I completely agree that hacking around with a system with issues is not the way to go.

I couldn’t install Unity on 21.10 before… but that might have been because of my hasty 21.10 install.

I need WiFi - not easy to connect to network with Ethernet.

Thanks again!!

1 Like

Do I boot from USB from BIOS settings? (F2 at bootup)… Can’t remember haha

Yup. Just make sure that the USB is the first one to boot (and have the USB inserted before entering BIOS). Also, when you fully install, it’s good to remove it.

Also, try to take it slow this time so that you’re certain everything is in place. :wink:

Haha yeah - will do… =)

1 Like

21.10, Unity etc. all installed =)

There are 3 options when installing Ubuntu:

1. Replace 20.04 with 21.10
  2. Install 21.10 alongside 20.04
  3. Erase disk and install 21.10

First time round (last week) I selected 1, which led to all the confusion. Definitely didn’t select 2.

This time I selected 3, which somehow I missed before. Must be a subtle difference between 1 & 3 that I don’t understand.

Still can’t get Bluetooth working (for my mouse).

Tried the solutions you linked me to, but no good so far.

Also having problems with Java (for Unity)…

JAVA_HOME is not set and no ‘java’ command could be found in your PATH.

Jave / JDK installed with Unity install, so this is a mystery.

Java is a dependency that was probably not installed. For that, you will need:

sudo apt install default-jre

Regarding Bluetooth, does it appear as an option in your settings?

I must be a bit late to suggest, but I would go for option 3 - to erase the disk and install Ubuntu 20.10.
That gives the clean install.

Yep I chose 3 this time round

Yes Bluetooth is in settings. If I turn it on, nothing happens (stays turned off)

I know I have referenced this Bluetooth manager before, but I’ll post this side of its story, which might help a bit more.

This Java thing is a mystery. The install-jre command didn’t fix it, although the error messages have changed. Usually Unity installs everything it needs and I didn’t get this problem with 20.04 / 5.14.12.

Mystery is my middle name.

:sunglasses:

Did you download Unity 3D LTS or the latest version? As I’m seeing, they’re constantly updating it.

Yeah they are. I was just trying it with a later version than the one I was using previously. Unfortunately still no good. Strangest thing is it all worked no problem with previous Ubuntu

I never use latest version of Unity until it’s settled in for a while. Learnt that from experience. I usually stay a couple of versions behind, but yes am using a LTS

I just tried 2020.3.31 but that went very screwy, so went back to 2019.4.31, which worked beautifully on 20.04 / 15.14. In fact, I was really impressed with how easily it resolved all its dependencies etc.

Having other issues too with Dotnet and Firebase in Unity.

Starting to wonder if I’m asking too much for Unity to work with a Ubuntu release that is so new…

… Although it’s so weird it all worked with 20.04 / 5.14 kernel

I don’t see a solution here. Either Unity works (20.04) or WiFi works (21.10) but not both at the same time. Can’t find anything to help resolve the Unity issues.

Do you think it’s worth going back to an old version of Ubuntu? As a last resort. Read some stuff where people are saying 5.11 and/or 5.12 works on the Asus Zephyrus, but they are complicated articles that I don’t understand fully.

The thought of installing Windows makes me nauseous. :face_vomiting:

Before you do a format, how about you go try the latest version and see how that works? The 2019 came out before the 20.04 Ubuntu came out, so I’m surprised it’s fully functional. Unless they did some form of update for it.