Ubuntu 20.04.3 - no Wifi adapter / no Bluetooth!

Yup, because we installed it before the Secure Boot threw it out (lack of "signature). Then we disabled Secure Boot and the Kernel was allowed to load.

I believe you did it when you stormed through the installation process (and didn’t check the 3rd Party driver installation).

Ah ok - could be. I was tired and getting frustrated.

I’m amazed you remember all that. Should I be cleaning up somehow so there’s only one Ubuntu?

That’s a bit of a process, which I recommend both of us be well rested for. But yes, there is. Just notice well which is the version you’re mainly working on. We wouldn’t want to ravage something that you’re using. :wink:

Prefer the LTS rather than a totally new version at my newbie stage

Since I’m currently installing Unity on 20.04 / 5.14 then I guess we should stick with that…

Agreed! I’ve had two very long nights awake - so once I rest up a bit I’ll help you through! It’s nothing too difficult, but it will need some precise moves.

Plus a few mystery moves of my own…!!! To keep you on your toes haha :rofl: :crazy_face:

That’s why I mentioned resting up! I’ll need to prepare for the unforeseeable! :laughing:

1 Like

Might try an ‘rm -rf /’ at some point. just for fun

Hey, don’t tempt fate! Though you’ll need something more than SUDO to make part of it work. :wink:

1 Like

Man this is a messy process.

Installed Unity / Visual Studio ok and working nicely. Ubuntu 20.04.3 in case you got lost haha…

Had to reboot (something froze) … now I have no WiFi again. Just when I thought I had everything set up nicely. Secure boot still disabled and keys cleared.

I am struggling to believe that we’re still hacking around at such a low level after all these years of Linux.

Anyway - can you point me in the right direction? Again.

Thanks =)

I’m very confused now.

Perhaps we need to go to 21.10 after all…?

I can’t remember the issues we faced with that.

Other than Unity Hub wouldn’t install

Did you - by any chance - do an upgrade? I know there was a firmware upgrade Ubuntu did recently and it stopped my WiFi on my Surface Laptop 3. However, since I’m running it on a patched Kernel, I kept a backup firmware with an auto-replacement script.

Nope no upgrade. Wouldn’t dare while everything was working

Please forgive my delayed response. I’m a bit all over the place today!
Does the problem persist when you reboot? Also, check the terminal to see if you got switched back to the LTS kernel, which would be the 5.11.

That’s ok!

Still 5.14.12-051412-generic.

Rebooting doesn’t change anything. Back to where we were a week or so ago.

I guess we need to start by cleaning up the partition(s) I accidentally created when installing 21.10.

Seems we have to get back to 5.13, where the WiFi works

You, my friend, are very intriguing! The issues you are facing has me questioning a lot of the things I already know. And that’s a good thing!
In my experience, when things do get messy, clean up and do a clean install. Once you secure that things work, do the following ASAP!

Install and run Time Shift. This will backup your entire system, but not your files (unless you select it to do so, which can take a very large portion of the target drive. By default, it will generate 5 system snapshots at one-per-day rate. The snapshots you create yourself, however, will stay there permanently - unless you delete them.

Having that in the background will give you a fallback option. :wink:

When you say ‘clean up’ - what does that mean?

A clean install of 21.10 from the flash drive you had me make?

I suppose I’ll lose my Unity install etc.