Telegram audio oddity

ok, you never did state which Telegram version you were using other then 4.3.1. Was it the flatpak, snap or Telegram desktop for Linux directly from Telegram(this is the one that I use) on Debian Bullseye with pulseaudio.

Telegram desktop for Linux directly from Telegram is the one I’m using too.

ok, lemmee look around and see what I can find.

Thanks for your help, if nothing comes up, I can live with it, it’s just weird.

ok, I’m going to suggest downloading a complete new package from TG directly.
Delete the TG folder you are running it from AS WELL as /home/yourusername/.local/share/TelegramDesktop/

Then extract the new package and run again, logging in etc.

I did, makes no difference, I told you it’s weird… :upside_down_face:

So if you download the video in TG and save as do you hear the audio through you own media player as well?

What do you setting in Telegram look like under “Settings > Notification and Sounds”?

Yes, that’s the only way for now to hear video audio, save the video to my harddisk and then play with my media player.

What happens when you click on “Play sound” in that Settings/“Notifications and Sounds” menu?

I can change the sound, but whatever option I choose, the whole Telegram application stays mute.

Suggestion, when you boot do you have an alternate kernel available?
Maybe a kernel downgrade would help? I seen where it had helped other KDE plasma users on different Ubuntu version and older TG versions.

There was also this link, not your exact problem but an audio issue with TG on KDE none the less:

Might be a place to look around.

One other possibility, have you tried the web api with your browser?

No, I don’t and at the moment I can’t risk loosing the OS by experimenting with this. I’ve read the link, this is indeed quite different from my issue, again the sound is completely dead on TG like a mute button is activated, I even thought about an accidental keyboard combination killing the sound, but that doesn’t make sense as well IMO.

If I follow a t.me link in my browser I have video and audio, like I said video and sound works everywhere but in TG.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for the time and effort you’ve put into helping me, it is highly appreciated. :pray:

1 Like

Adding a previous kernel version isn’t really a huge thing. Just gives you the option to boot from it if selected from the grub boot menu instead of the current one.

It’s possible something in an recent OS update broke.

I’ve figured it out I think, the boot menu shows to versions, one that ends with 53 and one that ends with 52, what ever I choose, still no sound. I think I’ll throw in the towel on this one. Agreed?

[Before Edit]
OK, this is something I never did, how do I proceed?

(On a side note, the TG sound broke without an update, like I said, one minute it was there, the next it was gone.)

Idk, that is an awful annoyance.

Have you used “flatpaks”? I have absolutely no clue on them as I’ve never used them and I don’t do snaps lol

Also there was just a new update for TG direct today as well, maybe update and do a full reboot and see what happens before diving into flatpak.
You could try to install the Flatpak TG version and run it and see if it works or not.

No, never used flatpaks and snap is installed with version 22.04 and I hate it. I have for example Firefox installed with it and twice it already became inoperable out of the blue and since there is no reinstall option I had to uninstall and then install it again loosing all of my preferences (not my bookmarks I make a backup of those regularly), snap compress-video takes over a minute to startup (see the UI appear) and the updates for losslesscut doesn’t work, so it sucks big time.

The TG update made no difference and like I said in my previous post I’m throwing in the towel, thank you so much for all your help, highly appreciated. :pray:

1 Like

So, I fixed it and I’ll explain how but not how it happened.

When watching a video in Telegram, it completely covers you’re whole screen, even though can still make it “full screen”, next to that there is the — the red squared in below image — other option to play it in a small “window”. I never use that, but I accidentally clicked it and now I could click my Volume icon — now available — and low and behold it showed Telegram muted.

For this to happen accidentally I first have to click that icon in Telegram, then the Volume Icon, then the Applications tab and then the Mute icon. That is four accidental clicks, never happened, but it was Mute anyway. So maybe this will help others with a similar issue.

Again many thanks to MrDeplorableUSA for his patient and help.

jeff-pro-1

2 Likes

Congrats, since i never used that i wouldn’t have seen it, good find!