Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hi Folks,

Greetings from Toronto. Installed Ubuntu on an Acer Aspire one of my kids no longer wanted after lurking on Jeff’s Telegram channel. Started the course a few days ago and found the curated videos very helpful. Had a few hick-ups getting Ubuntu to boot properly but was lucky enough to find an article online explaining the problem and after tinkering with the BIOS boot settings am now in business. Really looking forward to learning more about Linux and cutting the cord from MS bloatware and never ending software subscriptions.

3 Likes

the wide open FOSS, brilliant. Kinda like Jeremiah Johnson but in really good company :slight_smile:
PS i read comfy shoes and thought ‘comfy chair’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i hear you! been doing the same. reviewing entire tech web in my life. fun but plodding. linux, ham, quantum grammar…oh my! All good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi all, recently joined the forum but been in the TG group from when it started, so far converted my Asus laptop to Linux, Raspberry pi4 which i use for testing, got my desktop dual booting as still have windows apps i need to use, started to have a play around with Wine & hoping my apps will work so can remove windows for good.

I’m also trying to update another family members Acer Aspire but its playing ball seems hardware wise it’s only allowing windows 10 home, got a few more tricks to try to get this converted as well.

2 Likes

Hi everyone… Im Lindle all the way from Cape Town South Africa… I’ve been playing around with Linux for a while now but planning on transitioning completely very soon… I’m blessed to have a brother that’s a bit of a tech wizard so he’ll be helping me… So excited😁

3 Likes

I am here as a result of the suggestion by Codemonkey too. So happy I didn’t miss that mention. Learning a little at a time on my Rapberry pi400. Great community here, have fun!

2 Likes

Hello … A bit abt myself … First off – I’m so glad this forum is here! I’m an old Windows user beginning with Win 3.1. The DOS was my favorite part. Down the years I believe I used every OS Win came out with. Oh my what garbage. MHO LOL

I’d read abt Unix and then Linux, they were like rare animals to me, don’t get too close! LOL Been hooked on computers since the 80’s when I was a travel agent. Those computers and the home computer were not the same I soon found out… :laughing:

Decades later I put Linux Mint on a DVD and ran it off that instead of installing. Just Leary of taking that step.

A few weeks back I installed Ubuntu on my old computer. So easy,wonderful. Why did I wait so long??

I haven’t been on much lately because it takes time to switch out OS - To date I’ve ran Mint Cinnamon, Fedora 34, Elementary OS, Manjaro. And now have Ubuntu back in the ol’puter. There is just something abt Ubuntu that draws me.

Of the ones I played with Manjaro was favorite , then Elementary.

In 1994 I began upgrading & fixing desk top computers. No one was going to know more abt my computer than me. Also taught people how to use their computers, they were mostly Seniors. Got my Mom a computer when she was 65, that was the 90’s. :thinking: I was close by for when she had a problem. Now I’m a proud senior citizen. Still believe all Seniors should have a computer with Internet.

Now I’m reading abt putting Linux on my LG Premier Pro. I’ve read posts where some of you have done your computers, cell phones it’s so heart warming. Thank you for the smiles :hugs:

1 Like

Hi … I’m very interested in the Raspberry PI. Was going to buy one but don’t know enough. What all do you do with yours and why did you get one?

1 Like

Hi, old nooby here from Palm City FL. Running a 2014 MacBook Air that I managed to get Ubuntu Mate 20.04 running on. Enjoying it, but have much to learn and I believe I am in the right place to learn it. Let’s enjoy the journey :grinning:

2 Likes

After not being able to figure out the constant pause in Ubuntu, I decided to re install, and everything seems to working great. This is on an old laptop that has damage to the case, and will not hold up much longer. Every time I open and close it, the damage increases. Now my question, is if I put Linux on my good laptop as a side by side, will I be able to wipe windows in the future and leave linux alone or will I need to do a complete install again?

Thanks all

At some point, you’re going to have to write a book about “The Fourteen Computers”.

Sounds like a horror, or science fiction story in the making. haha

1 Like

I was explaining what I was doing to someone at my church the other day. Her jaw dropped when she asked, “how many computers do you have?” and I replied, "wellllll, I have one windows machine (Dell with Optane - which is why it is still a windows machine) and I have 2 laptops running Linux and I am trying to get an old tower to run a Linux server. I am getting good at installs and BIOS manipulation. after the server is setup I need to get one of the Linux laptops to run multiple monitors as the other is attached to my TV (could I use that for my cloud? or do I need server on it first?.

1 Like

Hello! I’m Peggy and I’m so excited to begin this Linux journey! I’m starting with a six year old Dell laptop. Today…here we go!

5 Likes

Welcome @SuzziQ this place is awesome and the admins rock :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

3 Likes

My name is Jason and I am a new Linux User. I installed Linux Mint on my laptop and it is working beautifully and have installed Ubuntu Touch on an LG Nexus 5 phone and is also working well. I am all in…no more big Tech…one device at a time…:+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Congratulations @Japoirier one device at a time is the way to go. Just imagine if everyone you knew would do the same thing - just one device at a time - we could kick Big Tech right in the (insert preferred body part here). The admins here are always around and they kick ass!!

3 Likes

Thanks so much…:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I would really like to get in on the 5:00 live Linux workshop…how do I do that?

Thanks,
Jason

there will be a link published either in here or the lms (depending on whether or not is class related) that you click on and join - I believe if it is your first time you have to create an account - but do not quote me on that as I can be wrong - unless my wife asks then I am always right!!

2 Likes

Thanks…looks like I will not be getting into it…maybe the next one…