Say hello and introduce yourself!

LOL. Good advice. Thank you. There is lots going on presently and I work in the IT field and work long days. However I can’t wait to rebuild my Mac. However to speed things up I might get a cheap machine I can use too like Raspberry Pi with Ubuntu so I can immediately play more while I rebuild the Mac.

1 Like

Hello Pam, My grandsons are 3rd, 4th, and 7th graders. Awesome that you are teaching yours! I had my husband post on the local community page asking for any free used laptops to use as a homeschool project. We had an almost immediate response, and not only did they give us two laptops, they were wiped clean, in their original boxes and included a soft case for each! We have made a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu, used my iMac and Balena Etcher to do that. Just waiting to figure out if we need to allow windows to load(on the HP laptops) as the first screen that comes up is the new user pop ups. I too have been a Mac girl for the past 18 years, looking forward to getting away from all things big tech, iMac, iPad, and iPhone. I wish you well on your journey and will keep in touch!

Hi, I’m Kat. I recently moved to Tucson, AZ from North Carolina. I just started saving my important files from my laptop so I can get rid of windows. The process seems fairly easy from what I’ve read so far, I’ve got my fingers crossed! After that, I’ll work on replacing my Apple products.

2 Likes

I loved that snarky quip - keep 'em coming!!

:rofl:

Hi There Gina -

My name is Dave and I am in Apache Junction (I have also seen a San Tan ( @Maria1 ) and other AZ residents) and I think it would be cool to do a “local” users group. Group chat and then if one member is having TONS of problems maybe a meet up- or even meet ups on a scheduled frequency (monthly, bi monthly, etc.) I have had a couple of strokes so I do not drive, meet ups could be done here at the local library - I can reserve a room. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

3 Likes

Tucson can be a nice place to live - I have done it. Welcome to the journey to freedom from Big Tech

2 Likes

We like it so far. Used to live in Vegas, then moved to the Bullhead/Laughlin area for about 6 years. Just moved back west a few months ago. Not sure if we are staying in Tucson long term or not yet.

I am in the Valley of the Sun, as the Phoenix area is called, I love it here - more so than Tucson but I think that may have more to do with my beautiful bride!! LOL

1 Like

ahhhhhhh the lost art of handwriting!! do what you gotta do to keep them honest, Welcome to the machine or should I say welcome to the group that is trying to free itself from the machine - whoa, that got a little matrix-y - haha :rofl:

1 Like

Good luck to you, too,

Hello I am so excited to begin on this journey. I have worked with computers for most of my career but not Linux.
I am 78 yrs old so I’ll probably be slower but hope to be a turtle. :wink::wink::wink:

3 Likes

remember, slow and steady win the race - everyone here is extremely helpful. we will all get free of BigTech - together.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello everyone! I’m Allen. Not exactly a beginner with linux. Been using it for several years now after starting out with it in 1998…or was it 99? No matter. Linux-Mandrake was my first distro and if I remember correctly, it was a red hat based distro. Linux has certainly come a very long way! I’ve tried several distros over the years and stuck with Ubuntu after trying it out. Can’t remember what year that was but it’s been awhile :wink: Currently using Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (I prefer the LTS versions) on a self-built desktop system I put together in Feb 2012. Sys details: Gigabyte mainboard, AMD Phenom 6 core proc,16gb Corsair RAM, WD hardrives (one for linux and one for Win10 in dual boot setup), Coolermaster mid-tower case (black w/clear side panel) and power supply, all controlled with a Logitech wireless mouse/keyboard. Anyway, good to be here and I hope to learn something new!

1 Like

H Alli,

My name is Barb, currently residing in Minnesota in the summer and Arizona in the winter. I have installed LInux MInt 20 on a Windows 10, and LMDE4 on a small Macbook Pro. I am recently retired and want to learn as much as possible about Linux in preparation to possibly work part time in this field in the future.

1 Like

Hello everyone, and welcome to our humble forum!

Many of you know me as one of the administrators of the Telegram channel and the darn handler of the LMS platform. I also help run the support ticket area @ support@jeff.pro and try to be as personal to your individual needs as possible. :blush:

I’m the Greek in this movement, who moved to the US close to 3 years ago and now has a family here. I absolutely adore this country and its people, so it’s my pleasure to be of help.

Per my background, I studied engineering but ended up turning my passion into a career. That’s visual effects and 3D. I’ve had an affinity for technology since the early ages and essentially built the tech infrastructure of 3 major studios in Greece, where we won many awards - including international ones.

I joined this group because I believe in FOSS and believe in you people. I grew up studying and learning your culture, and - to be honest - you are much greater than the media abroad presents you to be. I strongly believe in your cause and your goals, which is why I’m here. It is truly a relief to find like-minded people, and I am truly proud of each and every one of you.

Thank you all for this wonderful community!

12 Likes

Hi Fellow Senior. I like your post as I too will soon be looking for alternate Windows conveniences, and maybe when I hit those areas, I can ask you for some tips. I’ve not got a tech background, just a love for my keyboard. I’ve a tech friend who will soon help me install Ubuntu via Virtual Box so I can toggle back and forth to get files/photos out of Win and into Linux. Eventually I’ll drop Win. I have an iPhone and iPad I’ll have to figure out how to drop too. Currently I use Outlook and Apple for emails and everything co-ordinates. I’m not sure what I’ll find once I start dropping familiar things. I’ll loose my notes, I’ll wonder where my calendar’s gone, maybe even my contacts - on and on yet I’ll persevere 'cause I’m motivated by freedom.

1 Like

Good to hear your story (I can relate) and am excited to get into Linux! The learning curve is great but I’m also motivated to be done with Microsoft. Let’s have some fun!

1 Like

I’ve got three dead macbooks I’d like to try to get running with Linux. I’ll be looking for others who have already accomplished this. I’m also following Jeffrey Peterson on telegram.

1 Like

DeApple? Fill me in on this one…consulting the Duck on this one (duck duck go) but not finding much… not going to G*&g(L it.

1 Like

Below you’ll find the best tutorial on how to deApple your devices:

tenor

Kidding! You can install Linux on most Intel based Mac products, but if it has any of their proprietary chips in it (like the M1), its near impossible to get it right.

iPhones are in fact impossible for the average person (including me) to put any non-Apple OS on them. You’d be better off purchasing a phone from Rob Braxman.

5 Likes