Say hello and introduce yourself!

Hello, I’m so happy to have found Jeff on Telegram and to have secured a place in his second group of classes. My short term goal is to convert my 2015 MacBook Pro to Linux Mint and to be free from Apple. I am a rank beginner, but confident that the classes and support from this forum will get me over this first hurdle. After that I intend to continue exploring the world of Linux in the company of other patriots who value freedom of speech and the right to privacy.

5 Likes

Hello to everyone, my name is David from NW Florida. I look forward to talking with you all and learning Linux from the great Jeffrey Peterson! God Bless you Patriots and God Bless America!!

5 Likes

Hello everybody, Sowmya from India. Been using open source on and off for the last 3 years. Now decided to move towards it 100%. Lot to learn and a lot more to unlearn and am glad this forum and the telegram chat is there to help. Thank you Jeff!

4 Likes

Hey there!!! Lifelong Windows user working in the aviation simulation software industry. I’ve heard my engineer and programmer friends talk about Linux and though, oh no, not for me. LOL

I somehow stumbled on Jeff’s channel and now am running Linux Ubuntu on an old laptop and having a blast with it!!

My boss is thrilled because unbeknownst to me, I’ll be now using this in some of the things I do at work!!

Who woulda thought?

5 Likes

Hello, I have had a curiosity of Lunix for years. I begin losing trust in Microsoft when Windows 8 came about and stuck with Windows 7 until about 3 years ago when I was forced to switch to Windows 10 because of some applications that quite working on Win 7. I was becoming suspicious of what Microsoft was really up to and the Windows 11 announcement made me say no more Microsoft. Just a couple of months ago my trust of Apple went to zero and I have not trusted Google for a few years.

I test drove Liunix about 10 years ago and became frustrated with it, but always had a curiosity about it and had intentions of one day taking time to learn it. Well, after finding Jeff’s Tellegram channel and trying Lunix again, I saw Wow, because Lunix has come a very long way since my first test drive of it.

I have interest in technology in general, I link IT stuff, built Wordpress websites, interested in programming (have messed around some with php, html, and css in conjunction with my websites and done machine tool programming) and would like to learn programming on a more advanced/professional level.

I worked as a machinist and CNC programmer for 14 years and am also a private pilot and aircraft mechanic.

I am the founder and president of a small non-profit organization Mission Wings International that provides disaster relief and humanitarian aid to needy people in Honduras with future goals of providing medical evac flights and missionary flights as well. The goal is to bring the message of Jesus to people in serving their physical needs.

9 Likes

Hello,

I’ve done some work with a dual boot Ubuntu install in my Masters program a couple of years ago.

I’m here to rebuild my MacBook Mini first to go full Linux and I’m still evaluating which flavor of OS I’ll use. I’m happy to see all the videos posted on this.

I’m also evaluating the Pro1 X to replace my iPhone.

I can’t wait to get started on all this but it will not start until after I get married next month :smile:

So for now I’m very thankful to Jeff for this online community and look forward to learning here with everyone.

Everyone have a blessed day.

Chris

4 Likes

Good Morning, I will jump in and say Hello to everyone and say I’m glad you are here. My journey in Linux started a year ago when I decided after 25 years and being a Beta tester for Microsoft, I was done. I run Linux Mint on an HP Gaming Computer running dual monitors. As a kid I played around with Electronics. I’m retired now, and I’m a Ham Radio Operator and hold the Call letters NM8Q. Enjoy Your Linux Journey and have fun with it.

4 Likes

Hi! I’m Nick. I live and work in VA. I first learned about Linux in college. I joined a Linux club 2005-2008. I attended the Linux fest in Columbus Ohio during this time. I dabbled in Linux from time to time. A little over a year ago my hard drive died on my Windows PC. I thought it would be easier to install Ubuntu than to try to find a Windows download. I have been using Linux full time on my home computers since then. I’ve been really enjoying Jeff’s telegram channel.

4 Likes

Hello y’all

I install Ubuntu on a touch screen hp computer and it works! I also have a raspberry 400 that needs a monitor (or a new cable to an old monitor). Also have 3 old towers that I plan to make into one server which is why I’m here! Steep learning curve!

DeltaFoxtrot

3 Likes

Hello!
I joined Jeff’s Telegram channel on Day 1 - back on Sept 11. Have been impressed with his mission and several admins that have stepped up!

We’re advancing many goals - all complimentary.

1. Freedom and patriotism, pushing back against Big Tech tyranny / facism
  2. Infusing innovation and creativity back into Tech. I remember the sheer joy over learning HTML/Java/Javascript/MySQL back in the late 90s. I was a tech manager/ proj manager - still wanted to dig deeper. How did this new stuff differ from apps I had rolled out via Delphi/Paradox (PC / LAN) or CICS/COBOL/RPG (mainframe/mid). It was a blast. It continued into a small business I had (training) and loading Moodle on my own servers - battering w/ some local college students to get it rolling back in 2005. WE’VE been robbed of so much of that the last 10 years + as Big Tech became BORING Tech.

Live in the Heartland w/ my family. Have been active locally - what I can engaged the most in is local. Though a “R” by background firmly believe that the RINOs have been a greater threat to our world than the Communist - D’s. Our ultimate hope is in Christ alone - while we’re here - let’s make the most impact!

7 Likes

Hi! I’m Bonnie, retired computer applications (PCs using MS) high school teacher but quite behind on technology now. Really want to switch over home computer from MS and Windows to Linux but don’t know where to start. Have been reading Jeff’s blog for several weeks and hope to learn how to do all I need to do to get away from MS and IOS. Appreciate all the help for beginners!! You tech experts are impressive with your knowledge!!

4 Likes

Howdy y’all
GrumpyPete from Norman, Oklahoma here. Just partitioned off my MacAir (2017) & installed Ubuntu. I’ve just started my learning curve from listening to Jeff & company explain FOSS.
I’m excited for an old dog learning new tricks. Looking forward to learning more at my own pace & unfortunate not able to attend classes, being on a limited income has limited me to free stuff.
Thanks for being here!

4 Likes

Hello! I am still at beginning stage trying to install linux on old Lenovo laptop but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this group & its founder(s) Everyone is so helpful & kind. Thank You and I will not give up on this journey :heart::+1::clap::hiking_boot:

6 Likes

Hi Everyone! I’m Debbie, within these weeks that Jeff started on Telegram spreading the word. I purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude e6410. I struggled to put Ubuntu 20.04, switched twice since and I installed Ubuntu 21.04 then Linxus Mint Cinnamon. I love it!!! I am very happy to be part of this movement.

5 Likes

Hello my name is Ghera. I have recently discovered Jeff’s channel and make my two old laptops that were collecting dust into a Ubuntu and Mint machines. I will never go back to Windows again. The more I learn about FOSS the more I realize the con that Microsoft and Apple has pulled on everyone. Glad to be in this movement with everyone. Will help anyway I can.

3 Likes

Ahoy Mateys!

I’m Pirate Fletcher - that’s just my name here, I’m really Captain Richard Fletcher (not really my name either). I’m an author, an Airman (USAF retired), a Sailor and Captain (yep, really - of a large Sailing vessel), I live on an Island normally with my lovely, strong and heroic Wife. I’ve been involved with Linux since the 80s (Slackware anyone?) and have played with and used various distros from Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali, and a few small versions like Puppy Linux.

I am one of the moderators here and in the chat groups. If I am not online I am either working Ham Radio related projects, sailing the boat, or digging up buried treasure (in the form of links to help you all).

I am by no means an “expert” on Linux, but I know a few things. I do write simple programs in python (for gaming purposes, running a kind of Space D&D game for friends). I’m pretty old, being one of those BOOMERS who started by building his first computer - from scratch, saving things on cassettes, programming with LEDs and switches in machine code. I have designed, built and maintained massive security systems for the Missile Defense Agency, written two books and a multitude of manuals for the USAF. I am an engineer and communications officer by “trade”.

If you need something, ask. I can’t promise to get back to you instantly, and I’m learning this new Forum Format so forgive us all if we miss a question along the way.

Please start your journey with the Beginning Intro that I wrote a few days ago, just for the people who are lost.

Fair Winds and Following Seas my friends!

Fletcher

8 Likes

Hi there!. Just signed up for the beginners class. Found an old laptop to use as recommended. When does the next class start?

3 Likes

You won’t have any time after you get married next month to be on a computer for anything… Just my free advice. (LOL)

1 Like

Hi All! I was pretty decent on computers many years ago. I studied computer electronics, once did a chip-level repair (with soldering) on a motherboard back before VGA monitors existed. I worked in software applications support writing complex reports for a bank for a few years. That was all over 20 years ago, and the technology has completely out-paced what I once knew. (I was pretty good at writing DOS batch files, for what that’s worth.) I have now taken my Windows 10 computer, added a 2nd hard drive and installed Mint Cinnamon on it, and am slowly making it functional for all the things I did in Windows. It’s a learning curve! I really enjoy the challenge and am motivated to get Big Tech out of my life and business!

5 Likes

And they say us Boomers ought to “just die” and “Fade Away” huh? LOL Little do these children understand that without us, there wouldn’t BE computers… :wink:

8 Likes