Say hello and introduce yourself!

Janie here. And happy about it. :grinning: Iā€™ve managed to load Mint onto two laptops now and am taking Jeffā€™s class. Looking forward to interacting with you all and learning about the new world opening up for us. FREEDOM!

7 Likes

Hey Everybody! I am a retired Cobol programmer, who dabbled in Unix, a bit, a decade ago. Have gotten the iso, now holding my breath on pulling the trigger. I want to do a total wipe of Win, but ran out of time today before I got the verify on the iso.
I am SO thrilled that all the great info that speeds by so fast on Telegram EzeeTalk will be searchable! What a totally Brilliant idea!
Loving that I can get back into programming, for free!!
Cheers, Jeff & crew!! Love you guys!

7 Likes

Hello Everyone! Iā€™m a bit embarrassed to admit this, however my computer skills and knowledge is extremely limited. It might as well be Japanese Rocket Science. To stress my point, it was only within the last couple of years that I learned what a USB was. I know, I knowā€¦Iā€™ve got a LONG way to go, but Iā€™m willing to learn and commit to this journey to free and open source systems. Iā€™ve been following Jeffā€™s Telegram since close to the beginning just to familiarize myself with all of the terminology. I am very excited to be free from Big Tech eventually.

16 Likes

Hello, ā€œAiā€ typing. Depending on your definition of the ā€œrealityā€ I may or may not be an artificial inelegant being. :laughing:

Have been winging it with Linux :sweat_smile: for years, used command line only when absolutely necessary. But since Iā€™ve flipped a chromebook into a pure Linux machine. Iā€™m having lots of fun in the terminal window!

Canā€™t wait to learn more with and from everyone so I can use Linux like a pro!!!

8 Likes

Gina from Phoenix here! Hello Linux Gang! Converted 3 dead computers to Ubuntu that are lively and kicking. I have a ton to learn and desire to transition by small business off of MS. Are there any Linux experts in the Phoenix area? Who wants to start a local user group? :grin: Thanks to Jeff and his team for having the vision and sharing it out. This forum and the new site seriously ROCK!

8 Likes

Greetings!

Ubuntu is installed on a partition sharing Windows 8.1 on my 2011 ASUS gaming laptop. Have downloaded a few apps/software, and am going to go through Ubuntu tutorials. I do have some tech savvy-ness but not a programmer so lots to learn! Hubby has Ubuntu, and heā€™s a couple of years ahead of me with FOSS.

4 Likes

Hey everyone! Super excited to be embarking on this journey. I had a family member pass and I was given his PC. What better time to convert to Linux, I thought. I am luck that it is a newer HP Envy but look forward to converting the other machines in my house, our phones, my Ring doorbell (hmm) to let the hardware really do itā€™s job without the programmed inhibitions of the self appointed tech overlords. I am working with a local group of patriots in Oregon, Peopleā€™s Rights, and we are doing a deep dive into a parallel economy, returning to constitutional law and seeking independence. The timing is right! I look forward to learning from all of you, regardless of experience as we all grow in this endeavor.

7 Likes

Started with Linux about 10 years ago when my kids started getting viruses on our Windows PC, it was tough as Iā€™m not a computer pro. Gave up for a while. Bounced back as a hobby about a year ago when I converted an old Mac Tower, but struggled as I was the only one using Linux. Iā€™ve become concerned about the direction of our country, and was reviewing telegram and getting angrier by the day. By some type of miracle I stumbled upon Jeffā€™s channel and realized that this is something tangible I can do to take control. Thank you, thank you, thank youā€¦ to everyone making this possible.

8 Likes

Greetings from northern Saskatchewan! Iā€™m a journeyman electrician that grew up making stuff I needed out of everyone elseā€™s junk. As a kid I used to build relay logic robots but got away from the hobby fun side of tech to focus on activities that allowed me to secure my next meal. I despise windows because of the joke of a system reliability and planned obsolescence that just feels crooked. I thought Apple was superior but after the whole battery scam thing no more. They think Iā€™m too stupid to understand that after an update my battery has enough capacity to run 5 min? I figured there has to be a better way. And here I find Linux! I know it will be work to learn Iā€™m not scared of that because I can see the potential when the garbage heap that is windows collapses because of corruption and laziness something that just works will be worth gold to those that still need to produce results.

8 Likes

Written on 9/17 as my info: ā€œReaganRepublican/Trumpican, 50 year follower of Jesus Christ, 47 yrs married, grandma of 5, retired [natural gas scheduler, gas scheduling manager at Nat Gas marketer, previously ā€˜power userā€™ of excel], NEW to Linux, 1st Ubuntu install on Dell Inspiron 1720 on 9/17/2021!!! Woohoo!!ā€
I am even more enthusiastic 9 days later! Itā€™s been a whirlwind. My greatest problem is my ā€œoooh, butterflyā€ syndrome haha! I am seriously excited about todayā€™s announcement and taking advantage of all I can! I get most frustrated when I have to ā€˜resortā€™ to a GUI solution when Iā€™ve spent hours trying to get it done on the command line. So far no aspirin needed. ENJOYING the freedom, and working every day for more! This is a great community! Great to be here with yā€™all! Today is day 17 since my sis sent me a Telegram about this amazing guy Jeff! Iā€™m all in!

7 Likes

Hi All, my name is Abi, live in Ontario, Canada. Super excited to be with like-minded people on this journey. Ready to roll up my sleeves and learn.

5 Likes

Hi Everyone! Ben here. I got inspired to try Linux after hearing the good news on Jeffā€™s telegram channel. I got an inexpensive refurbished HP Pavilion dv5 with Mint already installed. This was from Free Geek here in Portland, OR via Ebay. Donā€™t know any code. My limited interactions with the command line frightened me, frankly. But I was able to figure a few things out already. The first thing I learned is how much better this OS is than windows. I was able to find alternatives to adobe software and easily download them for free. I have already decided that I like GIMP much better than Photoshop. My other laptop is running windows 7, which is unsupported and appears to be on its last legs. My problem is that I canā€™t get my big scanner to work with my new linux system, and so I am still shackled to the old lenovo to scan my artwork. If I could figure out how to make the scanner work, I would leap for joy and immediately attempt to wipe windows and install Linux on that old machine. I thought I was getting there, and I even found a linux driver for my Mustek scanner. I downloaded a folder with some command line instructions and a package installer. The package installer did not work, so I am currently dead in the water. stalemate. I hope to be able to get some help or advice through this forum. Thank you all!

6 Likes

Hello. Name is Ed in West Virginia, USA. Iā€™ve been a Linux user for the past few years. Utilizing two Arch based rolling distros and a backup Linux Mint Cinnamon distro installed on an external 2TB hardrive for any problems that might happen on either of the two laptops. My laptops are primarily centered around the amateur radio hobby.

73 de WV1SWL (Ed)
Best wishes to all and enjoy the Linux jouney. I sure have been.

4 Likes

Howdy yā€™all!
Iā€™ve got all my computers running Linux Mint. Love it! I played around with Linux years ago but didnā€™t really stick with it. I was traveling a lot at the time. Now Iā€™ve realized how user friendly FOSS is and well honestlyā€¦ love sticking it to Gates, Jobs and the like. We need EVERYONE demanding that our financial institutions etc have non google/apple apps for mobile devices. Telegram has the direct download. Others need to follow suit. We control what they do or donā€™t offer by what we do or donā€™t use. P. S. a quick work around for the apps is just use the browser based version like you would on your PC. The more we resist their ā€œstoreā€ only apps the sooner they change!

7 Likes

Greetings to all! Iā€™m delighted to be part of such a wonderful movement with so many wonderful friends, most especially our founder, Jeff. Iā€™m one of those peeps who knows just enough about computers to be dangerous to the one Iā€™m using. I have successfully installed Mint on an old Asus laptop that had Windows 8 and that very annoying charms barā€¦who thought that was a good idea? Also I got a Rasp Pi 400 to play/learn with, what fun! Learning keeps me on my toes and having all you new friends gives me joy.

10 Likes

Hello from New Mexico. Iā€™m a digital artist that works with Adobe Creative Suite in Windows. I plan to start my Linux transformation with my old 2011 Asus 1215N EeeShell lap book. I just ordered 2gb RAM to expand it to a whopping 4gb. I think Iā€™ll try installing Mint Mate first. Sounds like I could breathe a little life back in it using Libre and Inkscape :heartbeat:
Iā€™m also soooo looking forward to replacing my nosy little iPhone buddy with a new respectful fun friendā£ļø
Love this new space!

4 Likes

Good evening! I actually started my Linux adventure back in March of this year. I saw a video in my YouTube feed about swapping operating systemsā€¦so I figured Iā€™d try it on an older HP laptop that had Windows 7 on it, which I hadnā€™t used in several years. I got it to work, but I didnā€™t do much with it after that. Flash forward to earlier this month when CodeMonkeyZ recommended Jeffā€™s page in Telegram. I checked it out and have been a fan ever since! I loaded Ubuntu budgie on my not-so-old HP Pavilion and BionicPup32 on my fairly-old HP Mini. I still have a newer HP laptop that runs Windows 10ā€¦but I find myself using it less often. So thrilled to be a part of this movement! :unicorn:

6 Likes

Hi, Laurie from Overland Park, Kansas! Iā€™ve installed Ubuntu on my 2009 Asus laptop and am mow eying my Samsung A20 phone and thinking about learning how to deGoogle it.

I remember using DOS commands ion a mainframe terminal back before there were desktop computersā€¦ And am looking forward to exploring a world not dominated by Big Tech.

Itā€™s great to be here with all of you!

3 Likes

If itā€™s a really old scanner driver, chances are the dependence libraries are outdated as your Linux installation uses newer ones.

1 Like

Hi there! My name is Shannon, living in WA. Have a bit of Linux experience through research, install & use of RPi3. Gotta knock some of the dust off the part of the brain that stored that info but should be quick to get back into the swing of things! Looking forward to tips and advice in converting all devices to Linux, separating my cell phone from big tech and their evil grasp tooā€“canā€™t wait!

4 Likes