Say hello and introduce yourself!

Ditto…Found through CMZ.

2 Likes

CMZ also referred me. this place rocks! :metal: :metal: :metal:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard and take your time. Read the Beginner section! It is a rough road map to start your journey.

Welcome aboard! Cape Town is a long way off from where I am. We are glad to see that Freedom knows no borders.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’m Mark. I have experience going back to the old Apple II and VIC-20, through all flavors of DOS from PCDOS4 through DRDOS7.x, OS/2 from 2.1 to Warp, and Windows from 3.0 through Vista. But mostly its been the MacOS ecosystem for the past 24 years. I’ve always liked the tightly-integrated hardware and operating system. I still do, but I’m not thrilled with the political direction the company is taking. Windows is absolutely out of the question for me and has been for decades, so I’m looking at getting into Linux.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m a Nana to six and just starting to figure out my own laptop. And I intend to get this done (although intimidated by the first task-copying files). So, slow and steady will be the pace. The support and beginners article was so encouraging. Thank you for that. And Jeff. pro forums is the answer to a prayer.

2 Likes

Welcome @jsol we are all here to help. the admins ROCK!!! Cheers!

1 Like

Hella All. Glad to be here learning with everyone. I’ve installed LinuxMint on a 2005 Asus laptop successfully, as well as a 20013 Asus laptop and in a VM on my main whitebox PC. Also looking to get off VZW phone asap. I am listening to Jeff’s audio recordings as well as taking courses on the edX website for Linux. Looking forward to the Mobile projects and being involved as much as possible.

3 Likes

Got wind of Jeff’s channel through CodeMonkeyZ also, figure I’d take Linux for a drive on my old Windows PC. I couldn’t get a working bootable USB created on that 8 year old PC, so went to Best Buy and bought a new i7 box, probably the last Windows desktop I’ll ever buy. I usually use my MacBook Pro for everyday use, but Windows for contract work. Got Ubuntu 21.10 and Windows installed with dual boot option. The only problem I’m having with Ubuntu is it won’t shutdown completely, gets stuck and I have to give it the finger to shut it off. Looking forward to learning more, started working in IT in the mid 80’s: DOS 3.1, Lotus 1-2-3, Commodore 64, Turbo Pascal, MS Basic, etc. Until I retired a few years ago I coded databases with SQL Server backend and various flavors of Visual Basic frontends. Looking forward to learning more and keeping my brain going.

Regards, Ken

3 Likes

Hey all,

My name is Marty so far my linux journey has brought me to install linux mint on an old HP Laptop, then my new hp laptop and finally installed on my mother in laws laptop.

I’ve kept it pretty simple. Just using it for everyday email and things.

I’ve invested in other courses on how to keep your info private from the online lookers. Stuff that Rob Braxman talks about on Glenn Mader.

Jeff’s linux for beginners program was a perfect fit for my going incognito journey.

Just trying to get off the big tech teet. I’m done being their product.

3 Likes

I put Linux Mint on an old flash drive, but it was not bootable. I will try a more recent flash drive and the recommended cinnamon Linux Mint. I did manage to get to the bios menu of an old Dell laptop. I got delayed because I found old family pics that I probably have elsewhere, but it was distracting.

1 Like

Hello.
My name is Greg and I am fairly new to Linux. I am running a dual boot at this time on a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 upgraded ram to 16 gigs and ssd harddrive to 1 terabyte. I am having a couple of issues and will be searching the forums for possible answers. I love learning new tech stuff. Also I am a photographer

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Patti. I’ve been hooked on computers since the early 80s, Graduated with an IT degree in 2000 at the age of 50. Stayed in the insurance industry and used my education and had a good career. Still love learning and joined Jeff’s Telegram channel along with many of you. Ready to dump Windows and Apple. I was motivated to take my old Dell OptiPlex 390 desktop and successfully installed Linux Mint cinnamon. I want to make a plan to learn Linux first. Also need to take my husbands old laptop and install an easy version of Linux because he doesn’t like change. Want to get a de-googled phone. Host my own email server. So many plans!!

5 Likes

Howdy y’all! Chad from Memphis, TN here. Was introduced to Linux in 2012 starting with Ubuntu Unity and have since distro hopped my way through Fedora, OpenSUSE, Linux Mint, Manjaro, and Arch, only to find my way back now to running Ubuntu with i3wm on a Dell Latitude 5590 for work.

I love the simplicity and flexibility of Linux that allows for your computer to work for you rather than the other way around. I look forward to being a part of the community!

2 Likes

Howdy,

I’m taxed and I’ve been in the software world for many years. I started as a junior programmer in my teens for a new company back in 1990, working primarily on HP-UX and UnixWare, then Linux as that hit the scene. I also wrote many-an-application on Windows 3.1 and then Windows 95, and cut my teeth on OOP with MFC, but I haven’t done Windows stuff in quite a long while.

I did desktop application development, device driver stuff, systems programming, and a lot more than I can actually remember over the decades.

I love that someone put together a tech forum that isn’t at the mercy of demonic pedo-infested Silicon Valley.

3 Likes

Today I installed Ubuntu Budgie on an old Dell Latitude laptop and it is SO GOOD! It had Windows 7 on it and was basically useless. Now it’s quick and beautiful and everything just worked including both my printers! I’m amazed! Now I’m collecting old laptops from anyone who has one collecting dust and resurrecting them for my homeschooled kids to use - and it won’t cost a cent! So thankful for this group. I didn’t expect to have such success on the first day of my journey so I’m a bit excited :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Ha, I’m using Budgie as well. I dig it.

Hey there everyone!
Derek here. Just beginning on this new path, but already feeling like I have to move faster. Have an iMac, and today, thanks to me doing automated updates no doubt, Apple thought it would be nice to remove everything off my desktop into icloud, and change the access procedure. Do you think I can remember the mac password? Ha!
Anyway…kinda figured what I wanna explore - Zorin & Ubuntu - at this stage, but I’m struggling to wrap my head around formatting the flash drive (got Etcher, but partitioning didn’t seem to be an option I could click) and actually downloading either OS. My mac has, at the same time, decided to go into super slow mode & all efforts to download have failed.
I’m all ears for any suggestions…persisting with efforts in the meantime.

2 Likes

And just to follow up, Also have a 2018 macbook pro, which I hardly use. Attempting zorin download on that is the same issue, where it says 10+ hours to download. Insane! So, I guess I can blame my internet provider for that? I’m in Oz, so it’s really not so great even with the gazillions they spent on an outdated NBN system.

2 Likes

Hello! New here. Found you all on telegram, and I find this group fascinating. I have several old laptops lying around, and I’m going to put Linux on one of them very soon! Because of you all! :wave:

5 Likes