Say hello and introduce yourself!

Welcome! You’re right on abt windows. I finally stopped dual booting, now linux only. My computer runs faster, smoother.
What linux distro is your favorite and why? I always go back to Ubuntu
There are so many helpful people in this group! They have certainly helped me.

1 Like

I have settled on Ubuntu mostly for the apps that come with it, the networking and it matches my blade server!
There are tons of Distro options but unless you install and test them, I think you just stick with the tried and true that have worked!

-Mo

1 Like

Just getting started. I want to learn how to boot a chromebook into an appropriate distro from usb to test it. I am at square 1. I need to start my marble notebook by listing out my system components and understand if it has a wp screw…

My win10 acer laptop is on its last legs. I would like to get the chromebook converted before the laptop dies. I feel like i am ready to live without a windows machine

Hi and welcome!
As far as I know, you are not able to boot a Chromebook from a USB as you would a regular laptop. If you are looking to convert your Chromebook to Linux, you can sometimes find out where your wp is, and what type you have a screw, switch, or a chip on the manufacturers website, but sometimes you have to do some searching. What version Chromebook is it?
Also, just thought i would warn you, i have converted several Chromebooks, mostly Dells cause they are much easier to work with (IMO) and there are several drawbacks on running them with Linux. One is the limited storage, you can always compensate with external though. Another is I have run into issues with audio, webcam, WiFi, and other driver issues depending on which distro and which Chromebook i used. The best distro by far has been Manjaro XFCE for the Dells.
That said, you said your Acer windows laptop is having issues? If it is just software issues, you may consider installing on that instead. As long as you can access the bios and boot menu, you should be able to boot from a Linux USB for the install and just completely get rid of windows.
Good luck and let me know if i can help.
Kat

Hello,

This is the place I ws dreaming of and never found previously!
I am so glad I did before loosing any hope in normality.
Most probably there will be an answer to my question, but I will ask anyway:
My laptop has:
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB|
And I have 220GB free space +
Could I have a Linux OS as a second OS?
If answer is yes, Is there a way of doing it safely and without any problems that some of the videos on YT are not covering.
Not that I am very fond of TheirTube but also if there is any other platform that is not eating into my habits and interests that I could learn from, your asnwers will be very much appreciated.

Thank you
P.S. I have used Linux in the distant pass and most probably forgot all about it due to forced use of WOS at work.

Welcome JCme
did you look in the tutorial section Install Mint on Windows system - set up for Dual Boot the most important thing is to back up all your important files s as not to lose them… I might recommend that you maybe pickup an older used laptop (lots of friend and relatives have unused older “lappys” laying around) take out the old hard drive, upgrade to a new Solid-State Drive, and put a fresh Linux Install on it … I have done this for many friends and relatives … then I destroy the old drive as they watch … they really like that part …

1 Like

Hi Lance, Welcome fellow CDN. Degoogeled several fones with LineageOS and Calyxos. There is a version of Ubuntu touch as well. GraheneOS for newer models also looks very good.
Norse

Hi JCme, I’m sure you’ve figured out how to dual boot your machine, there’s lots of room for Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu. There is lots here that will help you if not. -Norse

Hi everyone. I’ve bounced around few different OS in my time. OSX machine is outdated, and windoze makes me ill.
So far Ubuntu running OK, Proton and Steam running the game I play OK. I am just trying NOT to break anything again as I go forth my learning. Feels so good to be free. Get ready for some goofy questions.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Renee & I was introduced by a friend to Jeff’s telegram & was SO excited to hear about Linux. I am currently a Windows 10 user & want desperately to be free from the Microsoft / Apple (iPhone) technologies as much as possible. However, I am quite computer illiterate & feel like crying right now because I’m lost & wondering whether I will be able to free myself from the e-tyranny. I have been on all 3 Saturday classes since I signed up, but am feeling quite bewildered & discouraged. I would like to purchase another computer on which to install Linux, but can’t decide which to purchase! In the May 13 class I was encouraged to watch the ‘best old laptop to get’ video which recommended an oldish IBM Thinkpad along with the site backmarket.com as a good place to purchase used computers. I spent a bit of time hunting there, but really don’t know what to choose, or if this is the way to go. Apologies for whining, but if anyone has any suggestions or guidance, it is most appreciated. Thanks for listening!

1 Like

I am MikeyW in Ga aka Ga Shepherd. Married to an incredible woman for nearly 30 yrs now. We have 2 kids, I have 4 kids total, all are adults. Been preparing for times like this for over 10 years. Planting first garden ever. Got foods in cans, vacuum sealed bags, 25 yr shelf life freeze dried. Learning to dehydrate foods for later usage. I spent time in lots of jobs, a cotton mill, Submarine Service, milk, juice, water bottling companies.

I’ve bought Raspberry Pis to learn some line commands, Linux type programs. Never mastered any of it. I am here to relearn open source programs.

Hi Renee, welcome! Don’t even worry about feeling lost, when I first started out , I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. Heck, after two years I still have too look things up cause I either forget stuff, or something new pops up and I haven’t a clue! I used windows for 30+ years before I even heard of Linux, so it is a big change, but one I find well worth the effort of learning. Even my mom who is in her late 70s uses a converted Chromebook that I gave her with Linux Manjaro installed. There are a lot of great people on here to help, as well as the chat on telegram. I search here often when I run into an issue, almost every time either find the answer already here, or someone helps me out. I’ve messed up degoogling a Pixel, installing Linux on various devices, and just plain old me being dumb and forgetting stuff I’ve done before.

As for purchasing a computer, I almost always go with older Dell laptops with at least 4GB RAM and as little as 100GB storage on the drive. I don’t usually store anything on my hard drive, if i need to keep it, I usually copy to my external drive so i don’t mess something up and loose it . Are you looking for a computer with Linux already installed? Or do you want to install yourself? Feel free to contact me any time, I will be happy to help you.

You can send me a message thru here, or email me katm@amerikat22.net. That is also my website , amerikat22.net which lists all of my public contact info. I will help in any way I can. Good Luck!

Kat

1 Like

Good afternoon folks. Larry here in Virginia. I’ve just become intrigued with Linux after reading a few articles today. I definitely want to get my digital privacy back! I’d appreciate any feedback that will point me in the right direction to learn the steps to take in getting started on this journey.

Hi Larry. You came to the right place, lots of people to help and lots of information. If you get stuck or have questions feel free to contact me at katm@amerikat22.net. Welcome!
Kat

hi there I am so happy that i have discovered Linux, Just a thought, they are planning in inserting microchips in humans hands as a means of authentication to be able to function in society. Beware of anything related to bill gates and his windows operating system, its only purpose is to spy on all humans to track them and control them if they oppose the views of the elite technocrats… 5G will be their tool to track us all…thank God for Linux…

1 Like

Hi all. Been wanting to do this for a long time. I ran ubuntu and linux on a small laptop years ago but landed up going mainstream because all the places i worked did and i wasn’t sure how to make them work together. I am still clueless but see the need to push through and make things work now. Time is right. The digital enslavement approaching is definitely motivation. Those that stand up and will not comply are the bees knees in my opinion so lets go!
I will be downloading Linux today. How does one enroll in the latest class?
Thanks all for journeying together.
God bless!
H

Hello, I have been planning on taking this course since I first learned of Jeff on Telegram a couple of years ago. I need a new career and decided it’s time begin my Linux journey. I am sure the journey will lead me to a great career but I’m not sure what it will be. A friend installed Ubuntu on two of my old mac laptops and brought them back to life.

2 Likes

Hello everyone! I’m here to learn about being digitally free! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello! You definitely came to the right place. I’ve gotten lots of help here. Let me know if you need any help.

Kat

1 Like

I have introduced myself and tried to get going twice, only to realize I was in way over my head and couldn’t even speak the language. I just finally took my computer to my friend who is a tech guru and has his own company maintaining business systems and had him convert my computer to Linux. So now I am jumping in the deep end of the pool without a life jacket. I got it back yesterday, and he immediately left town on vacation, so I have no backup. Just the way it worked out. I was very proud of myself yesterday, when I discovered that my touchpad wasn’t working correctly. I managed to figure out what a bash shell was, used it to figure out what version of Linux he put on it (Mint 21.1) and figured out how to fix the touch pad (it wasn’t tapping to click). I also managed to figure out how to get most of my internet accounts up and running again, including this one. However, my touch screen is also not working right, and I can’t figure out how to fix that. I can’t scroll with it, or click on it, although it does highlight individual letters when I touch the screen.

Also, I’m such a beginner that I don’t have the vocabulary at all. You all very kindly tell me things, but I have no idea what the words mean. I literally would be slightly better off trying to read Greek or Latin, as I actually do have several years of home school study of those languages with my child.

Today I spent several hours watching a channel called codemonkey on youtube, and no, it doesn’t seem to be Ron Watkins. It is a company that does programming classes for elementary age students. After several hours of that, I did start to understand a few words and concepts like objects, loops, variables, sequencing, arrays and for loops. I have no idea whether what I’m learning applies to linux. It says it is “coffee” which is apparently simplified Java, and I don’t know if Java is Linux. I’m a real idiot with this stuff. I’m the proverbial grandma who can’t program her remote or phone, and needs her child to do it. Actually, I’m not a grandma yet, I started late, but I’m grandma age.

So my questions are, how to I get my Dell Inspiron 15 5000 touchscreen to work, and are there any computer programming channels for elementary age kids for Linux, like that codemonkey channel? I really need something with that level of pedogogy where I can practice each step as I learn the vocabulary (and yes, I was a teacher).