Say hello and introduce yourself!

@Sweets I think you have a handle on the next step. Check out
https://distrowatch.org and pick a few that look like you might like to try them. Then Try them out Live (running from the USB) and pick the one you like best and try it for a month or so, then try another one that looked good (if there was one) and backup your info and install the next one. We are happy to answer any questions you may have and will always help with the next step when you get there. Cheers!!

1 Like

well thank you so much @BigDaveAZ

2 Likes

My name is Chuck and I live in AZ. I am a computer person for 45+ years and have worked with just about everything. Databases are my biggest love in the computer realm.

I recently retired and am having fun playing with new things.

1 Like

@chuck I am finding that there are a lot of us in AZ. I, too, have been into computers for a while - 30+ years. I am enjoying learning all the new things in this group. Cheers!!

2 Likes

@Phobos,

I am having VPN problems after switching to Linux. Curious to know which one you are using?

John

1 Like
1 Like

Not sure if you found your answer… but there is an older post about this issue. No Sound on 2016 Macbook Pro with Ubuntu.

Also, Ubuntu 22.04 is out, so that may work out of the box (or the installation USB :grin:).

Don’t give up, lots of smart older and wiser people here have got Linux on all kinds of computers already!

2 Likes

I use Private Internet Access. The account also supports Socks5 proxy Which I use for torrents and Telegram etc.

@kdk, Hello Dean. Hey! I’m older than dirt and watched as dirt formed from dust! LOL!! Welcome to Linux! Right here on forums.jeff.pro is the place to be. Along with all the great channels in Telegram. I see @Ai sent a link with a possible cure. I hope it worked for you. If not, I can offer another option. That would be to try another distro. It sounds like you have mastered creating Live Bootable media. That’s the first and very important step on your way to freedom. I’ve lost track of how many distros I’ve tried but can say that I have Mint on this Dell and in VirtualBox I have 14 distros as Virtual Machines currently. Once you get going, I highly recommend giving it a try. Try one, delete it and try another. On the Dell and the HP laptop, I can run more than one machine at a time. Let me know if you’re interested. I have a guide for installing systems in VirtualBox that may provide helpful.
Happy Linuxing!!! :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, @BigDaveAZ ! I’m so sorry it’s taken 3 weeks to return. Things have been rough.

I am occasionally poking through the forums and trying to understand a little better. My latest quest has suddenly gotten to feel more pressing. I hate my new phone, the first replacement of my first smartphone. I am not a fan of them in the first place. Miss my flip. I think I am going to look to replace… so I’ve been looking at those topics.

I appreciated finding your welcome!

2 Likes

Retired teacher here. Just installed Mint on a 6 year old Windows machine. It has new life! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Rachel. I’m very confused when it comes to stuff like this. Hoping someone can help me degoogle my phone. Tired of big tech bs.

1 Like

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

@Rachel_G_Adams welcome to the first steps to regaining your freedom from big tech. The first question is what is the make and model of your phone. Post your question under the questions board and we will help. From there we can get you instructions for de-googling your phone. Cheers!!

1 Like

Hi everybody I’m so happy to be here, makes my learning into a deep Linux much better. Thank you all for your expertise, is been appreciated…

1 Like

Hi everyone.
Complete novice here.
Neighbor is in a Linux club.
Gave me a computer with Ubuntu installed.
Put a password on. I was on for about 10 minutes just looking around.
I changed my password to something I thought would be easier to remember.
Now, I haven’t been able to log back in.
Please assist. I really feel stupid asking my neighbor to help me out after giving me a computer to learn Linux.
I don’t even know how to uninstall and start over, which would be good to know how.

1 Like

Hi! I did the same thing once. Did you try to log in with the original password? In my case, for some reason my password did not change and I was able to log in with my old password.

1 Like

I have tried the old one. No luck.
Thanks for responding. My son said he is going to show me what to do. I am hoping he can.

1 Like

Hi there @KatM
I am back in my computer. Woo hoo!
I tried the old password…didn’t work.Tried my new one in a variety of ways. Apparently, I had one letter capitalized and didn’t realize it.
So now, I am chatting with some robot to see what I need to learn on the site. I have a feeling it will be a long time before I get to learn how to do Linux but it will be entertaining for awhile.
Thanks again for reaching out to a newbie.

2 Likes

Glad you got back on. I’m sure you’ll pick it up in no time. I’m still learning new things all the time, but definitely found the basics pretty easy to learn. Good luck and have fun!

1 Like