Not able to add Printer- Cups Server Error

Hello again, Nancy!

Once you delete the printers from the Printers tab, hopefully - since you have the Canon driver now installed, it might help. If not, then re-delete the printer from the Printers tab and run the driver via the install.sh. Though I would honestly hope there was an “Add printer via IP” - which helps tremendously in most cases. I looked at the installation script but did not detect it - at least not yet. I’ll need a bit more time to go through it line-by-line.

this is the reason I think I need to clear out the drivers I downloaded yesterday:

Ah, I see!
You can actually fix that if you run the latter command in terminal:

sudo apt install -f

This looks for broken dependencies and re-installs them.

Looks like that fix did some good, I’ve added the printer and matched to a driver with no errors, however…test print does nothing, like the message is not getting to the printer. It’s on, ready and showing active on my ipad.
Really appreciate all you are doing with this forum and chat site…

Hello again @Helenska!
The fact that you were able to go through is good. There should be a printer icon somewhere on your menu bar (visible or hidden, depending on your desktop environment). This will show the Printer Jobs that are currently pending or active, including anything that might be wrong with them.
Otherwise, you might be able to find it via your menu, when you start typing Printer in the search bar.
And you are very welcome! Though I’m not much on the chat these days. I have my hands full with our three other platforms, this forum being my main one. :slight_smile:

I did find the printer icon and it was in limbo, so I killed the print job…I feel it is so close to working, but not quite there yet…

There are some scenarios where the printer doesn’t get the actual print job because of a running - or installed but not running - VPN. The reason behind that is that some services kind of “lockdown” your system’s access to the LAN (Local Access Network) and they cannot communicate effectively. That one is different from the known Kill-Switch that some of these services implement.

Where is the printers tab for me to delete them?

It should be on your Settings panel. If not, then you’ll need to copy the exact name as you see them when you tried to install a new printer and then send them packing via command line as described here:
https://www.math-linux.com/linux/tip-of-the-day/article/linux-how-to-delete-or-remove-printer-from-command-line

system settings? There is nothing called printers in that one.

I tried what it said and the only name I could find for it (using the Add printer button) was Canon TR4500. it said
lpadmin: The printer or class does not exist.

I’m installing Linux Mint on my desktop via VMware to check its settings exactly. My systems are running on either Gnome or Budgie, so the settings can vary. :slight_smile:

I found the folder and there were no printers in it, which would explain with the above said what it did.

It would appear that there is a Printers Panel on the Mint Settings. :slight_smile:

yes I found it and there were no printers in it. I also did the command instructions and it said there were no printers.

Okay! It would appear that you are ready to give it another shot. Try the driver you downloaded a few posts above. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, I’ll need to prep for our live Workshop in 30 minutes. :smiley:

Good afternoon here, morning there! I get the same Cups error when I try to add the network printer. For some reason two of them show up under network. Not sure where to go from here. I appreciate your patience with me.

Nancy

Hello Nancy!
It would seem the CUPS persistence is there! However, so is ours. :slight_smile:
I’ll go through 2-3 of my own systems and see what their corresponding parameters are - which allow CUPS to function properly. At this point, I’m thinking that the firewall could be blocking port 631, which the print service needs to communicate with the devices.
Hang in there and I’ll get back to you!

Okay, can you please check the following command?

sudo systemctl status cups-browsed

It should produce something like this:

Also, as a next step, can you start up the firewall (if you don’t see it in your menu, type in terminal sudo apt install gufw) then go to the Report tab and see if there’s a UDP Port 631 active. :slight_smile:

I did the first part and it looked like yours. Found the firewall report but can’t tell if active or not. …here is a screen shot