Not able to add Printer- Cups Server Error

Go there and you will find a folder named Packages. Enter it and then right-click in white space. Then, select to open up in Terminal.

Okay. Since youā€™re there, letā€™s now check the status of the server. You donā€™t need to screenshot this, just let me know of the output.

sudo lpinfo -m

If it produces a vast list, it means your CUPS is working. If not, then it might have trouble connecting to the actual printers that are defined.

it was a vast list for sure!

So, your CUPS server is working properly. Iā€™m trying to figure out why itā€™s producing the message that it does on your panel.

Try this guy over here. Itā€™s for an older version, but it could help.

That is the instruction to add the printer, which I did and it did not work. Are you asking me to contact him for help?

Oh, no! I was thinking if his direct method - since he also added a Canon Printer - could help.
What I would recommend at this point is to delete bot the printers you have added (network and local) and give it another shot from scratch. If that doesnā€™t work, we might need to get a bit too technical.

That is what I was thinking! Delete them and start over. How do I delete them all?

That would be best. Donā€™t leave a trace!

OK, letā€™s roll! is this easy? Getting late for me. We can pick this up tomorrow afternoon/evening if you like.

I get up at 4:00 a.m. EST for work

Of course! We can continue on this until we get it done. :slight_smile:
Where are you located - Earth-wise?

Near Asheville NC, you?

Oregon, a bit further outside Portland.
Rest well and weā€™ll pick up tomorrow!

Hi Vasileios,
Iā€™m having the same error as Nancy is getting, so Iā€™ve been following the thread and copying your advice, but getting the same results, printer is visible (Epson) Driver is listed, CUPS is supposedly up to date and responding - but still the error. Thanks for all you do.

Further update, after checking my driver download - it appears to be ā€˜brokenā€™ and when I try to remove or re-install through Snyaptic Package Manager I get errors. Is there a root command to remove all traces of this download, I tried apt-get -f install and it prompts to remove, but not completely gone?
I just want to remove the driver and start over.

Helena, I am supposed to learn how to delete all traces of the printer and start over. Itā€™s taking us a few days because of the difference in time zones and my work hours. I am hoping to start again this afternoon/evening EST. We can learn together!

Nancy

Sorry to piggy back on your original question I know this is frustrating. I found a couple of YouTube videos this morning that talked about drivers being loaded partially and sure enough that seems to be my problem, Iā€™m having trouble deleting the Epson driver I attempted to download yesterday. Getting into the nitty gritty of this is the BEST way to learn I guess!

Hello @Helenska and welcome to this gritty process!
I would say no, do not delete the drivers. Simply delete the printer from the Printer Settings tab.
If your Epson has a scanning function, this might help:
https://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php
Per the printer, I found this:

I find it interesting that most of the printer questions I get are around Canon or Epson. I have an HP and a Brother printer (both are also scanners) and I know my way around them quite well. :smiley: