Graphene OS - DIY De-Googled phone explained!

Hello! I have a question for you. I have the Graphene OS loaded and working about a month+. Just this week I noticed that my apps won’t update. After an automatic update it said reboot. I did and it had a list of my apps (not all, but several) that it couldn’t update. I also got a message about Graphene, but I can’t find the screenshot.

Thanks!

Millie, you get this resolved yet? If no, what app store do you use on the device?

Thank you for responding! I use F-Droid.

Which apps does it say are unable to update? Did you download them from F-Droid? Have you noticed any degradation of the apps even if they have not been updated?

Hello! Well it says unable to get the list to update. The apps are from F-Droid and I don’t have that many.

QKSMS
bible study
OmsAnd~
session f-droid
sim toolkit
vanadium

I haven’t noticed too much of a degradation, although with brave (and possibly with Vandrum) it constantly asks me to verify with a move the dot. Then it seems to just spool, not finish. Also, if I try to put something in a cart to purchase and I think even enter my login it wont let me. That could just be a permissions thing and I can’t figure out how to change that.

I had some issues on a backup phone with F-Droid yesterday, and found the following fix after several attempts to update F-Droid and other apps, but it kept crashing. Rebooted phone multiple times, no dice.

F-Droid would crash within 5-10 sec, so I had to be quick; open Fdroid and hit settings in lower right, then quickly scroll down to bottom and select ‘Expert Mode’ and then keep scrolling and click on:

‘Force old index format’ setting (enable it)

Then exit and reboot and let it stew for a couple hours if need be. Mine cooperated after that, update F-Droid first before anything else.

Give that a try and let us know if it works

Wouldn’t uninstalling F-Droid and then Re-Installing F-Droid accomplish the same thing?

I believe so and was going to be my next course of action if the expert mode setting adjustment didn’t work. Thankfully the setting and a little patience worked in my case, but if problems persist, go ahead and reinstall Fdroid.

If you were successful in fixing Fdroid with the ‘Force old index format’ option, disable it afterwards and see if Fdroid will continue to run for you properly.

I tried the ‘Force old index format’ setting and I am not sure it did anything. Although I didn’t change it back. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling this morning, so far that seems to have worked.

1 Like

A week into my experience with Graphene OS on a Pixel 7 Pro & I’m loving it! I transitioned from iOS and am already feel confident with the new device.

The install was a bit funky using Linux Mint. I had trouble getting the computer to recognise the device- and the multiple reboots during the process caused the installation to fail because each time the device rebooted, the computer wouldn’t recognise it any more. So I ended up using an old PC with Windows 10 on it and install went well via web browser.

NewPipe is very cool, and Proton Calendar looks pretty. The phone is very nice and runs much faster than my old iPhone XS.

Thanks for the guide there are some useful links in there that I’ll bookmark and use as I get use to the change. I think having minimal social media on my phone will do wonders for my mental health, too. FOSS for the win.

3 Likes

Excellent to hear, great job on a successful install! The phone will continue to run fast, unlike normie phones that purposely slow down to nudge you towards buying a new one after 1.5-2yr mark. Plus the battery lasts much longer, since there’s less telemetry occurring. GrapheneOS is about as perfect as it gets for us.

If you do any other phones, you can simply do the web installer from your GrapheneOS phone with Vanadium browser, this is primarily how I burn them now for customers, just buy a quality USB-C to C cable.

Keep at it and in short order you’ll have weeded out most everything big tech.

4 Likes

I know your very busy but a short description of the method … posted here … would be much appreciated I’m still using a pixel 4XL … it seems ok for what little I use it but I believe it’s no longer supported

Correct, the 4XL is on ‘harm reduction’ updates only, meaning it is no longer under active development/updates beyond major protection. But it will still work just fine, I downloaded all of them to have in case they pull it down, grab all three of the .zip files:

The web installer should still work I believe, start with a fully updated phone,

-ensure OEM unlock is enabled, I also enable USB Debugging, power off device

-hold the power and volume down button for a few seconds to enter bootloader, connect to computer and flash with web installer

Enjoy!

2 Likes

another quick question … all the latest are 2023080800 … do I need to go all the way back 600 … 500 … 400… or is the 800 version all inclusive ?

I would do the newest version available, it will work great. Won’t have all the latest and greatest bells and whistles, but is good enough where you won’t even really notice anything I don’t think

1 Like

Thank You Sir … the only apt’s that I have installed are Open Map, Compass, NewPipe and AntennaPod … which see little use … I also have Telegram installed just to keep up with developments when I’m on the road, but very rarely make any posts from the phone … a little texting and meme distribution to less that ten … and a phone call about once every 2 or 3 months … I have mostly stumbled thru life maintaining a low profile …

1 Like

Not a bad digital existence, for sure a great candidate for a very simple, no bloat phone. I have way too many apps installed, my excuse is that I’m ‘testing’ everything… some case yes, some cases no. The great thing with GrapheneOS is that after a set period (default 6 months) if an app isn’t used, all permissions get stripped until you turn them back on.

1 Like

yep one of the first things I found out about … by accident … I thought some one was messing with me … I remember reading on your website about you would test the charger that was included with a phone you were working on to harden … I never followed up on that info … you ever reject a charger?

I’ve never found a malicious one in the wild, OMG makes the cables that you can buy, they are insane what they can do. But pretty rare, however the little tester I bought from HAK5 can detect them, $40 roughly for the device, worth it to have laying around

1 Like

Hey @GrapheneGoat, how did you install Rumble App? Did you use Aurora? Do you know of any other ways to install the apk directly? Cheers.