Graphene OS - DIY De-Googled phone explained!

I use Blokada and simply block anything I don’t like (such as Google’s Firebase, Fakebook, etc) but they also have a ton of available blocklists you can import to filter out common trash. There’s also GitHub lists of known spam/ads/trackers you can import as blocklists.

Even if the app has trackers, you still gain a ton of privacy and reduce the amount of data handed over.

Exodus is an excellent tool to check to see what known trackers each app contains: Exodus Privacy

For example, if you download Telegram from their own site, or through Google, you get trackers/permissions required vs. FOSS version has only needed permissions and no trackers. Even if an app forces a permission on a regular phone, GrapheneOS blocks permissions by default, however not all apps are alike, so if you install it, it’s possible that the app can get around Graphene’s security.

https://exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/

Ok. So it sounds like you haven’t gone the route of creating multiple profiles and running apps only in certain profiles.
I’m pretty comfortable that the F-droid apps are safe.
After seeing that even the innocuous apps that i have on my iPhone have trackers, i wondered if i needed to create a profile and load those all from Aurora into that profile.
I’ve never had an Android phone so i don’t have any paid Google Play apps to worry about.
I’ve not installed the Google Play components.

Thanks for your input.
You definitely seem to be the go to guy for GrapheneOS.
Hopefully I’ll be able to join you on this journey.

Now to get this finished and setup and then to show others and convince them that Apple is not as nice as we all think.

Apple and Google both abuse us on a massively intrusive scale, when we stop and think about it, we would never agree to such surveillance without years of conditioning through marketing. I call it the ‘commercial or psychological kill chute’ where we are all funneled towards the big tech products. If someone sold you a small box and told you to carry it around 24/7 and that they could turn on mic, camera, location and install unknown software any time, you’d tell them to pound sand. Except most of us do it willingly, and even pay for the trouble.

People often refer to GrapheneOS and others as ‘privacy’ phones, where in fact they are simply what a phone should be; a device that you control. iPhone and Google Android control their respective phones, the user has zero ability to have the ultimate say.

F-Droid is the number one go to app store, anything in there is generally deemed safe. Aurora next best, but take the time to review the permissions/trackers, note that many of those permissions and trackers may not work which is good so long as the app works as intended. Worst case if you do require a paid Google app, or any Google app, you can sandbox it using the ‘Apps’ app if it won’t work through Aurora.

I only use one profile on the device, and do not use anything Google outright. I do have several apps that require google, but function fine without the GSF, and I restrict their permission until I need to use a specific service (like depositing a check, I’ll toggle location on briefly to allow the app to work, then off after I’m done)

For banking and things like that, it’s best for privacy to simply use a browser instead on the phone. Not as convenient, but worth it to me. I had Aptoide for a while that allowed my bank software to run fine, but probably going to dump it and just stick with browser only.

Hi! I recently bought a deGoogled phone with Graphene OS…im really nit sur how to work it yet as far as adding apps and downloading a background screen. Can someone gelp me?

Welcome! If you’re new to GrapheneOS, I’d recommend starting with F-Droid, download it/install, it is your primary resource for apps.

Next, use F-Droid to search for and download/install Aurora Store, select ‘Anonymous’ of the 3 account options. Aurora has pretty much everything, and you can filter out ‘GSF dependent’ to look for non-google dependent apps first.

If you do require a Google app, you can toggle on permissions in the ‘Apps’ app on the phone (swipe up from home screen and look for ‘Apps’)

See this document for some more detailed info on setup: 107.1 KB file on MEGA

Enjoy!

I finally have carved out some time to make the change to freedom!!!

I have been working through the steps to De-google/load grapheneOS, using the link you provided. My Windows 10 will not find the Pixel 7 pro driver that I have downloaded (and there is no .inf or .exe file included in the kit). I downloaded the file to a special folder and when I browse to locate the file and click, it will not recognize that the drivers are in the subfolder.

However, I was able to download and install the adb bootloader interface. In “device manager”, it acknowledges an android device with a subfolder of “android bootloader interface”. The manager no longer recognizes a pixel device, like it did before I downloaded the adb.

Is that enough or do I need the driver file installed? Thank you for any help you can give!

1 Like

walk through the steps here and see if this info and the links work on your version of Windows, this is from grapheneos.org site so I’m fairly confident this should solve your issue (install driver from Google and install with Windows Device Manager.)

"On Windows, you need to install a driver for fastboot if you don’t already have it. No driver is needed on other operating systems. You can obtain the driver from Windows Update which will detect it as an optional update when the device is booted into the bootloader interface and connected to the computer. Open Windows Update, run a check for updates and then open the “View optional updates” interface. Install the driver for the Android bootloader interface as an optional update.

An alternative approach to obtaining the Windows fastboot driver is to obtain the latest driver for Pixels from Google and then manually install it with the Windows Device Manager."

Enjoy, and excellent to see you go for it! For sure ask away on here with any questions, better to ask than end up with a brick (ask me how I know, I killed a Pixel 4a by flashing incorrect software to it, haven’t fixed it yet…)
Curious to see how folks are liking the model 7, have not messed with it yet, but from owning all the others, GrapheneOS is really no different among any of them.

Praise the Lord, I think it worked!! I am thrilled (I am not a techie…I am a substandard user)!!!

One question that I have, do I need to do this??? I don’t quite understand if it is necessary or beneficial…

Replacing GrapheneOS with the stock OS

Installation of the stock OS via the stock factory images is similar to the process described above but with Google’s web flashing tool. However, before flashing and locking, there’s an additional step to fully revert the device to a clean factory state.

The GrapheneOS factory images flash a non-stock Android Verified Boot key which needs to be erased to fully revert back to a stock device state. Before flashing the stock factory images and before locking the bootloader, you should erase the custom Android Verified Boot key to untrust it:

Sounds like you got it flashed, was that updating the stock Google system or with GrapheneOS? If the latter, you are finished, and can begin getting F-Droid and Aurora Store installed, and anything else you need. The web installer of GrapheneOS will prompt and lock bootloader for you, once you boot for the first time into the new system, you’ll set up language, time zone, PIN or screen lock, etc.

That is WONDERFUL!!! I am SO excited and relieved that it worked!!! THANK YOU!!! The issue I was having before is that I didn’t plug the phone to the computer AND THEN click “check for updates” in the Windows Update screen. That is what my hiccup was. That was when it showed the drivers.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I REALLY appreciate all of your help!!!

1 Like

That’s amazing to hear you got it first go, extremely excited for you! This is a HUGE leap forward in privacy, plus battery life is better when your phone isn’t sending bazillions of telemetry bits to Google or Apple.
Magic Earth and OsmAnd maps, and Organic Maps are my go to’s for maps, I think Magic Earth (Aurora Store) is the easiest. The other two are available in F-Droid.

Let us know if you need help or suggestions for apps or settings, very happy you got it up and running!

I have a Question for you Sir … Been using my Pixel 4XL since I stumbled thru this process back in March … I know that it is no longer supported, although I think they did extend the support longer than what was stated on their website … now when the phone updates it says “pixel update” and that just started in the last week or so. I don’t use it much and it seems to still work well when I do … so do you think I should check settings and permissions after a pixie update? and what apts or program would you recommend that would take a closer look at when this happens?

It was a shock, for sure! Thank you so much!!! :wink:I will look into loading those maps.

Another question, I am trying to import my contacts. I have saved the vcf file on my computer to transfer. I connected my 7pro and tried to drag and drop. However, the message is that it is not connected and it won’t transfer. What am I missing?

Sometimes the USB can be finnicky, after you plug into the USB port, swipe down and click on the USB more options notification, or search ‘USB’ in Settings to access the menu; click on ‘Transfer Files’ in the bottom portion, then ‘By the connected Device’ on the upper portion, and wait a few seconds.

Often mine denies it on the first try, unplug, and reattempt, hopefully that works. Worst case, email it to yourself after you get email setup on your phone (if you don’t intend to use email app, use a browser to login to your email to grab it) But I think you’ll get the USB connection working.

Yes, just looking and even though supported, the 4xl is on ‘extended support’ so unsure if that’s the reason for the different message. I’m doing an update on a 6pro right now to see if I get anything similar, but so far just has the normal ‘Downloading system update’ message.

I use Blokada often to see what connections are happening on my devices, they have a free tier on F-Droid, I would install that and take a look at what connections are happening, beyond that I’m not sure I can help much.
On my Blokada when doing my update just now on a barely used phone I’m blocking the current connections:

pixel.wp dot com
pixel.quantserve dot com
widget-pixels.outbrain dot com

But I think those are related to ad/tracking pixels, not Pixel phone. On that phone, if I’m blocking something besides the obvious FB, Google, etc, it’s probably configured on the blocklist I toggled on in Blokada, and unlikely to be related to the Pixel phone.

1 Like

Thank You … will look into Blokada … it says “downloading system update” and the “pixel update” shows up when rebooted … seems like this only started showing up lately … mostly use this around the house on wifi and have few extra apts … all from F-Droid …

It is weird. I was able to try connecting as you instructed. It wouldn’t connect. I unplugged from the usb and put it in a couple other slots, now it is grayed out and not an option. I ended up loading vcf via email and got it loaded, but i would like to fix this in order to communicate in the future.

Was able to get my site up and running at the beginning of the new year, while there is stuff for sale, it’s mainly geared towards educational stuff and a touch point for any and all tech topics that I can contribute to. Not a ton on the site yet, but more going up almost daily, with plans to add a lot more info on phones to help walk people through selection of ROM, installation and troubleshooting common stuff. Enjoy!

1 Like

We have a forum now live that may be helpful for those looking for answers to questions re: their GrapheneOS phones - MARK37 Community — All About Phones

3 Likes