Graphene OS - DIY De-Googled phone explained!

Yes it does: Frequently Asked Questions | GrapheneOS

1 Like

Yep… I was reading your post and just getting ready to answer my own question…

when I commented on your post first…

2 Likes

Darn… posted on the wrong tread…

3 Likes

I’ve finally used the Web based installer for Graphene, it is extremely easy to use from pretty much any computer. Had a friend go through the steps on a Windoze machine and successfully got GrapheneOS installed on his Pixel 6 Pro through the Web installer.

After doing both command line and web based, I’d strongly recommend sticking with web based for anyone with not very good technical skills in this area (me not long ago, always learning). It very much reduces your chance for error in the flashing process.

5 Likes

I am very very new at this and my questions are basic, I am sure. Reading your great list of actions, I need advise. I just got a Google 7 Pro, thinking that I had taken my first step to de-google my life. After further reading, I realized that I made a mistake. My phone was through US Cellular and is most likely locked. Is there any sort of de-googling that can be done to decrease the surveillance on the locked 7 Pro?

I have an unlocked Samsung A50, can that be used to de-google and load Graphine or another Linux os? If I get another SIM card for the A50, I assume, you get another phone number?

GrapheneOS does have beta support for the 7pro, but it sounds to me like the phone might be locked by carrier, and even if you can get that undone (difficult), the bootloader may still be ‘not unlockable’ in order to flash it with GrapheneOS. You could try selling it, and if successful grabbing an OEM unlocked Pixel on Swappa or elsewhere.

The SIM card however should work fine, you can have unlimited amounts of SIMs/phone numbers and drop them into the phone to make them work, good to go there.

For the A50, here is a good rundown of some options, looks like LineageOS might work?

Hope that helps you out, let us know what you think of the Pixel 7, I’ve not played with one yet

To check the Pixel 7pro, go to settings and scroll down to ‘About Phone’ and then scroll down to very bottom and tap on ‘Build Number’ about 9 times until it says ‘you are now a developer’

Then back out one level, and go to ‘Sysem’ and select ‘Developer Options’ then scroll down just a little bit and look for ‘OEM Unlock’ - if that is grayed out, it’s not unlockable, but if it allows you to toggle it on, it should work to flash a custom ROM like GrapheneOS.

I did that and it worked. So, I turned it on and it said something like…the security features may not work while this feature is unlocked. Enable or cancel. So, I enabled.

That is awesome! So, if I understand the steps right. I backup any data (I have transferred nothing, so check, this is done). Next, I unlock the bootloader? Then load graphene os? Is that right? Am i missing anything?

If OEM unlock is able to be toggled, it should work. Just know that once you send commands to the phone, you likely void any warranty or return.

I’d recommend trying the web install method, just click each button in order to unlock and flash the device. While it’s connected to computer, do not touch anything on the phone until it’s complete.

Check over the pre-reqs and tutorial and let us know if you need help:

And for sure backup any data, and it’s also a good idea on the same page as the OEM unlock button, scroll down just a little ways and enable ‘USB debugging’

Also a good idea to ensure the stock device is fully updated prior to flashing. Good luck!

1 Like

hi, I am learning too…by any chance, can an unlocked Note20Ultra 5G work for this? mine is permanently unlocked.

Not for GrapheneOS unfortunately at this time, only Pixel devices.

To check to see if it will work with LineageOS, you can visit their site here to look for your model, they only support specific ones:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/#samsung

The good thing is that Pixel 4a’s can be bought for as little as $100 or so these days, happy hunting!

Hi all!
I’m excited to get going on this.
Just got a brand new Google Pixel 6a today for $299 at BestBuy. It’s also the same price from Google directly on sale from $449 and unlocked, too.

Just started reading the GrapheneOS instructions for the Web Install.

I’ll report back my progress.

1 Like

Excellent! Just flashed a 6a, good phone; much cheaper than the 6pro, but same size roughly. The web installer should work for you, sometimes it goes to error with mine (Brave browser/Ubuntu) but just try different browsers if needed. (make sure to use one of the Operating Systems and Browsers listed on GrapyheneOS website)

Good score, that is an excellent price also by the way! Let us know how she goes,

Goat

In the instructions it says:
For the Pixel 6a, OEM unlocking won’t work with the version of the stock OS from the factory. You need to update it to the June 2022 release or later via an over-the-air update. After you’ve updated it you’ll also need to factory reset the device to fix OEM unlocking.

Since this is an unlocked phone is this anything I need to do?

The phone is currently doing a security update so I’m just reading the instructions.
I’m using Linux Mint and Brave. I installed the Android SDK.

Just waiting on the update to actually start.

As long as you update the phone in stock OS first, then enable developer mode and toggle on OEM unlocking and USB debugging, it should flash fine for you.

Not a terrible idea to do factory reset, just ensure that after the reset, that the phone is updated again.

Linux Mint is not listed as an official tested OS to use, but should work I would think? (being Debian based, it’s likely to be OK, just know it’s not recommended)

Avoid Virtual Machines, and make sure you have a good quality cable, use the rear USB ports if using a desktop.

Good luck, GrapheneOS is excellent stuff, I’m a fanboy!

And you are correct, it appears the 6a specifically requires an update, then a factory reset prior to beginning, don’t skip those! Happy flashing

Well, that was easy!
It took maybe 2 hours because of the updates.
Also, the GrapheneOS instructions could use a few screenshots so you know when you are ready to click the next button.

Next I’ll review the thread for suggested apps and determine which of my current iPhone apps can safely be found in the Aurora store.

We have another convert!

2 Likes

Here is a quick start guide to use, ignore everything in yellow, that highlighted text is for a specific customer who I set up a device for. But excellent step by step guide for folks, in part made by Tony at freedomtech.com.au with some modifications by me. Great to hear it worked! (link is a PDF to the guide that may be of help for you)

1 Like

Thanks @GrapheneGoat

I’ve gone through it and got a bunch of the suggested apps.

I’m now looking at the apps that i have on my iPhone and when i look at them in Aurora, i see that the majority of them have Google trackers. Crashlytics
AdMob and Firebase

Is having any of these apps with these kinds of trackers defeating the whole purpose of the degoogled phone?

Even my password manager Bitwarden had Google Firebase.

Thoughts?