Dual boot Windows/Linux when your computer has 2 hard drives?

Okay, so one last double check before I hit Install Now. Look good?

1 Like

Yes! That looks great! You can go on ahead now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s working! Very exciting. But I will need a glass of Makerā€™s Mark after this lol. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

However, I will be very surprised if the sound works. So far I have not been able to get the sound working on anything.

1 Like

Of course it is! I understand it can be a bit nerve-wracking, especially when you tip-toe around another OS that you want to keep intact. Iā€™ve done it several times when I used to have Windows and 3 Linux distributions on one system!

Iā€™ve never encountered an issue with Linux and sound before. However, if your computer is quite new, we can push toward a newer Kernel version, which 95% of the time solves all issues (due to newer drivers being implemented).

1 Like

When the installation is done and you boot into your new Ubuntu OS, please let me know so that we can properly update everything and prepare your second drive to accept back all the files you backed up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, Iā€™m rebooted and in Ubuntu Budgie!

1 Like

Awesome! Welcome to your Digital Freedom! :slight_smile:
Your first step should be a full system update. You can do that by opening up your menu (in Budgieā€™s terms, itā€™s the icon on your top left corner) and type in terminal. Select it to open but first make sure you are connected to the Internet (WiFi or Cable, which you will see on the top right of your menu bar)

Once you have Internet, go back to your terminal and type:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Press enter, type in your password (it wonā€™t be visible) and then hit enter again. This will fully update your system.

Please let me know once that is done - or if you have any issues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok. It did some things, and the last line of code says ā€œ88 packages can be upgraded. Run ā€˜apt list --upgradableā€™ to see them.ā€
Should I do anything?

1 Like

Just type in:

sudo apt upgrade -y

And let it go about its business. :wink:

P.S. Shame on me, I put in ā€˜updateā€™ twice above! LOL - Iā€™m all over the place today!

1 Like

No worries! It appears to be done upgrading. Whatā€™s the next step?

1 Like

The next step is to reboot your system so that the new Kernel upgrade goes into effect.
Once you are back into your Ubuntu Budgie, go back to the menu and type in ā€œDisksā€. Then click on the respective icon and take a photo of it so that we can prepare the other half of your drive.

When we format it back to NTFS, you will be able to connect your backup drive and copy all the files back to it. After that, you will be completely done and ready. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Awesome!
Now select the Free Space to the far right of that big bar and you will see the - icon turn into +. Hit it and a new window will pop up. Select the maximum capacity and then click Next.

In the next window, give a name to your drive and select NTFS as the file system. Then click Create.

Once done, please send me a photo to see if thereā€™s any other step that needs to be taken. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, so now there is 491GB of space for Windows stuff, and 491GB of space for Budgie stuff on the D: drive

?

1 Like

Yes! With the NTFS section of the long bar selected, click the play button, which will mount that partition into your Ubuntu.

Then you can go to the file manager (the one with the folder icon) and open it up from there. Your next step is to attach your external drive, which will also appear on your file managerā€™s left tab. From that point on, itā€™s a simple copy and paste to your new partition. Once done, all your files will once again be visible inside your Windows OS. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome! Right now I have to go make chicken enchilada soup for my patient and hungry family. :grin: After dinner I will plug in the external drive and check it out in Windows. Vasileios, thank you so much! I could not have done this without your help. I will let you know later if everything is good. Thank you so much. :two_hearts: :muscle:

1 Like

Itā€™s my pleasure @LibertyMom and you know it! Iā€™m glad I was able to help!
Please let me know how it goes when you copy everything back and youā€™re able to see your files back in place in your Windows OS. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, this is weird. In Windows the file manager still just shows DATA D: with all the files on it. The folders open but the files cannot be opened.

Hmmā€¦ I see that the folder structure looks good, but Iā€™m noticing the text file out here has a 0 file size. Can you check the file sizes inside one of the folders? If theyā€™re zero, then the copy didnā€™t fully go through and you might need to repeat it.