Brave Install on Mint 21 Vanessa

How do I install Brave in terminal (Mint 21 Vanessa)?

2 Likes

Nice script Mr D! Simple and gets it done.

1 Like

Ty, but I can take no part of the credit for that, pure @vasileios , I just keep things like that bookmarked for inquierers.

Where did I go wrong? I typed in terminal: sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl -y. I entered password a received the following:
E: Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list (URI parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not certain, it seems to be saying you have a bad line in your /etc/apt/source.list on Line 1. Typicaly line 1 would have the cd-rom source which should just be commented out.
Can you paste the contents of that file here?

Edit: I should also mention that you should run sudo apt update first and install any updates that need upgraded before beginning any software installs.

Below are the step by step direction from Braves install for Debian based(including Ubuntu/Mint) that vasileios wrapped up in to the neat little script.

sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

sudo curl -fsSLo /usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg

echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/brave-browser-archive-keyring.gpg arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main"|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

I just clicked on update mgr and got Please switch to another Linux Mint mirror your APT configuration is corrupt.
This is what I got.

First thing I would do is from terminal is make a baackup of your original file:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.orig

Second, from Mirrors - Linux Mint pick a mirror(closer usually means quicker)
I found this mirror list for the repos, hope the ones on this page are up to date. try to replace the (vanessa) line with one of them. Then update, upgrade.

I changed mirrors and entered sudo apt update and got the exact same error. There is a flat pack that can be downloaded, but there are several users complaining that it does not work and advised installing from terminal. I went to Firefox to get Jeff’s download and it says “ Search with Google or enter address.” I thought Firefox was a way to be free from Google. I closed Firefox. Here I am back to square one…

Let’s keep this terminal oriented for a moment.

Open the terminal and run sudo cat /etc/apt/sources.list and copy/paste the output here.

It returns cat: /etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory. I cannot copy/paste as I do not know how to get into forum without internet set up on the computer running running Vanessa.

ok try this.
sudo ls /etc/apt/ and take a pic.

That’s a lowercase “L” on ls

I’m sorry it takes so long to get back to you. I have grandchildren here needing way too much attention.

That’s ok. I can see the sources.list file right there.

type sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list and send a pic of the file

Sorry, I missed part of this, you have no working internet on this Vanessa install? As in your WiFi isn’t working?

This means that we will need to get the laptop connected to the internet via and ethernet cable to be able to run the update.

I do have internet.

ok, that is partly what I expected but I do not see the repos other then the commented out “cdrom” install, listed so we really need someone with a working Mint 21 install to provide their sources list I haven’t downloaded mint 21 so i don’t have a VM of it running at current.

I did find this default repo list for Mint 21.

You can again run sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list and copy and paste the lines below in that file. This list was found at Easy Linux Tips Project: Software sources list of Linux Mint 21: how to repair it exluding the chrome ppa.

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com vanessa main upstream import backport

deb Index of /ubuntu jammy main restricted universe multiverse
deb Index of /ubuntu jammy-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb Index of /ubuntu jammy-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb Index of /ubuntu jammy-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb Index of /ubuntu jammy partner

once the info is in the file, CTRL+O saves, CTRL+X exits.

Then in a terminal run:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Is it possible to copy the lines you provided to a usb drive then install them from the usb to Vanessa terminal or “wherever”? I understand absolutely nothing about this. I feel sorry for you and truly appreciate the time you’ve spent helping me.

absolutely if you have another working system just create a txt file from the working one, on a usb, place the usb in the one not working open the file and copy/paste the lines in to the /etc/apt/sources.list

you can also use ssh to connect from one to another and use the terminal just like you were on the one you’re trying to repair.

No worries. It’s why we’re here, just hate seeing problems take away from the freedom of having moved away from Big tech.

I just went ahead and manually entered the text script. Do I use the shift key with control to get the upper case o?