Brave Browser - Fast Install Script for Ubuntu, Mint and derivatives

Just did some researching on what this is so I understand its not my root password, but is it still good to delete or better to change the password…I dont know what the old password would be.

I would recommend you purge the keyring and then re-install it - so that it’s refreshed. :slight_smile:

In terminal, type:

sudo apt purge gnome-keyring

And then re-install it:

sudo apt install gnome-keyring

Fabulous! Did it and all is great. No more pop up. Thanks so much @vasileios !

1 Like

Awesome! I’m glad it worked & you’re most welcome! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the instructions Vasileios, Happy dance now, have it iinstalled on 2 of my four Linux devices. Yeah!

1 Like

Welcome, SaltyJT! And thanks for the post! I had tried months ago and had to get help with the install. Tried this and it worked great! Thank you, vasileios, for all your great help!

1 Like

Very helpful, thank you!

I installed Brave on my Graphene OS phone yesterday, I was very impressed with the overall view and functionality compared to the other browsers (DDG actual, Firefox Focus and Vanadium), especially when viewing videos; the system tray 3-button layout remained visible which is handy, and it minimizes automatically if you switch to a text message, signal message, etc, making it easy to continue watching video while checking other stuff, and snapping back to it.

Only thing negative I noticed was that there is about a 3 second delay compared to others, but very clean looking and works well.

While I like Brave on desktop, for some reason I just don’t like the layout/options menu as much, but pretty minor complaint. I often like to use multiple browsers to help isolate various tasks. But very much liking it on the phone.

1 Like

I really like Brave but can’t view my desktop bookmarks on mobile app, only has a mobile bookmark folder. That’s why I stopped using it, is there a fix for that?

Hey @drrwrieden!
As far as I am aware, Brave does not sync on multiple platforms, which is mainly done for privacy reasons - at least for the moment. This is the main reason why it doesn’t share bookmarks.

Officially, the developers claim they’re working on it.

1 Like

I found this today on brave and sync
brave://settings/braveSync/setup

I have not used it yet, so maybe a solution.

1 Like

I figured it out last week but I don’t remember how I did it anymore lol. I know I used sync code again

1 Like

I am looking for feedback on selling de googled phones. I hear all the time that with $75-$100 markup there is more than enough business to go around the group. How do I connect to that? I have flashed CaylxOS, GraphenOS and LineageOS on Pixel 3’s. Classifieds not doing much so far

@drrwrieden This could probably started a new question. I believe there are 2 reasons for the lack of response. 1. we are ALL a little weary of buying from a private party, Think. 2. For the most part, those here are looking to do for themselves. Just my $.02 and I may be TOTALLY wrong. Cheers!

1 Like

I would add 3) Many here are aware Pix3’s are phased out of “support” when on some OS’s and knowing that may come soon for all…so may shy away for that. Personally just bought a P3 and 2 weeks after - found out about the support thing…funny thing is my OS has updated several times since, so…that a sales ploy Hmmmmm not sure, but there’s my take

2 Likes

I just used this and it was perfect. I only started 2 days ago, s without this i couldnt have dowloaded brave, still learning basics thanks. I was a bit confused where it had put Brave, but found in after a couple of mins

3 Likes

OK, finally going to download brave on my recently converted to Linux computer. the first item that you mention is to download and save it into our downloads. Do you mean to download it onto a flash drive first? Thanks🤗

1 Like

@Nikki download the script to your computer and follow the instructions line by line from the original post here -

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi there, I have tried to download the brave browser file from the website:

Download the following file and save it into your Downloads folder.
install_brave_browser.sh (889 Bytes)

and it doesn’t do anything. So I must be doing something wrong? I have tried it with and without a flash drive in my computer. The flash drive I use is the same one I used to upload meant etc. Do I need to use an entirely empty flash drive? Thank you again for all your awesome help and patience.

Hey @Nikki!
When you go to the same folder (Downloads) where you downloaded the script, right-click on the empty space and select Open in Terminal. Then execute:

chmod +x ./install_brave_browser.sh
sudo ./install_brave_browser.sh

And that should do it. If you just run it or double-click it, it won’t do anything, as it needs to be “flagged” as an executable script. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi there, so the problem is that I cannot figure out how to download the script. There is nothing in my download folder. When I go to the brave website and click the download option it doesn’t do anything. Hopefully it’s just something simple that I am missing? I just can’t seem to figure it out. Thank you for your patience, i’m so nervous about messing it up :face_with_spiral_eyes:
Have a great day

2 Likes