Brave Browser - Fast Install Script for Ubuntu, Mint and derivatives

No ma’am, there is no need to even go to the website. Vasileios has attached the file for you, and you even pasted in his link above on your comment - clic on the BLUE WORDS “install_brave_browser” and that IS your file needed. Just so you understand that part first.

2 Likes

You guys are so awesome! I am doing all this on my phone so far. if I type in exactly what is here in my computer it should work? The only thing I have managed to get loaded on my computer is the Linux mint. I still have to download all my telegram VPN etc., I just thought it would be helpful if I did the brave program first.
I managed to get it downloaded thanks to all you wonderful people. This is very intimidating for me and I thank you for your patience. Onto the next step I will do this, I will I will🤗

OK, I ran into another issue :woozy_face:it keeps saying command not found. I noticed in the instructions it appears there is a space after the X and also after the SUDO. Is that where I am supposed to hit enter after those breaks in the line? Also I find I cannot figure out how to scroll up and down to the next line in Terminal. I have tried A couple of different options and wonder if it is some thing specific to the HP keyboard that it might need a different combination to scroll up or down?

2 Likes

Okay if it was downloaded to your DOWNLOADS folder, then…

Going back to Vasileios’s instructions here

You can go straight to the terminal to do this also & literally highlight his script from the word CHMOD on… and paste it, into the terminal (the whole two lines leaving spaces and all) THEN hit ENTER

3 Likes

@nikki don’t worry about messing it up. You will learn what NOT to do next time if it doesn’t work. We all started right where you are - regardless of past computer experience. The key is to really want the change. I happen to have to have an older laptop sitting around so it did not matter if I messed up - ask @vasileios I had a couple of the one off problems you will see here. The USB I used for the laptop did not work on the desktop, the brace script did not work the first time (user error, of course), and I do not even want to talk about how many times I had to install UBUNTU on a desktop to make a server. Just don’t give up and do not be afraid to ask the same question again if you didn’t get it, didn’t work or any other reason - everybody here is really cool. Cheers!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the clarification! Will try again later. Still have not figured out how to scroll from one line to the next tried the options that I had read online but it did not work. I have an HP keyboard, any ideas of other combinations to try to enable me to scroll? Thank you thank you thank you again for all your help and encouragement. I’m so excited to figure this out🤗

1 Like

Thank you for the encouragement bigDaveAZ, yes I get overwhelmed and hate having to ask the most basic questions. thank you for reminding me I am not the only one. I think once I figure the first program out hopefully the next ones I want to add will be easier. Again, I can’t tell you all enough how much I appreciate your help. Have a blessed day

2 Likes

@Nikki you have a blessed day as well. Most programs you will want to add, in the beginning, are going to be in your repository already. Just keep asking - someone is always happy to help. As far as scrolling from one line to the next - if you are talking about the lines to enter in Terminal you enter each line and hit enter - if I misunderstood let me know and we will figure it out. Cheers!

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation, I will try that. I did try to download telegram the other day from the software manager and it took forever and then right at the end of course the Internet connection got lost in so I guess I will be starting from scratch. It looks like other people have mentioned a better way to do it since that one takes up way too much mb.
First, I will tackle the brave set up and go from there. Thank you for all the encouragement you all have given. Such an amazing group of people🤗

2 Likes

Thanks again! Appreciate the clarification and shout out to Vasileios for the explicit directions and link. Doing the happy dance woo hoo. Managed to get it installed! Have a Great rest of the day🥳

1 Like

@Nikki - congratulations!! I knew you could do it. BTW @vasileios is the MAN!!!

2 Likes

Thanks! And I concur 1000%, vasileios is the MAN🤩

2 Likes

@BigDaveAZ & @Nikki thank you so much for your kind words!
At some point, I’ll look into automating such procedures even more, so that you guys have a much easier time going through them.
I’m running some bash tests that do exactly that. So far so good. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We appreciate all that you do to make things simpler for us newbies. I seriously thought I was going to have to give up my computer and have someone load all this stuff for me because it was so overwhelming. But, thanks to all you helpful, patient, wonderful people you have helped guide us into doing this for ourselves so we may learn.
Many many thanks.

3 Likes

will this work for manjaro, which I believe is arch linux based?

Here’s what worked for me to get Brave installed on my arch linux manjaro:

3 Likes

If someone tries to get this file via wget in terminal its a horrendous filename, is this something the forum does to the uploads?