Zorin OS 16

I am new to LINUX and I am looking for my first Distro.
After a lot of searching, I am going to try Zorin OS 16 and Mint.
I have searched this website and did not find any mention of Zorin, any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you

1 Like

Hello @Ubdavis and welcome to the forums!
I have heard great things about Zorin 16, especially the Pro version. The reason you haven’t found anything yet is because the forums are barely a month old, so everything is building up as we go. :slight_smile:

Therefore, we have decided to essentially start with the distro that most people will feel comfortable in. That would be Linux Mint and Ubuntu - though there are a few of us more advanced that will go for a different one.

Know that Zorin is based on Ubuntu, so a lot of the troubleshooting done here applies on Zorin as well.

1 Like

Thanks I will start with Mint and watch for Zorin

2 Likes

Well, I installed Mint and Zorin Core on bootable usb drives and ran them on my Samsung laptop and my Lenovo desktop. After trying each one for a few days, I have decided on Zorin Pro. The installation on the laptop went fine but the desktop was a little trickier due to extra storage drives.

Thanks

Ubdavis

2 Likes

Hi Ubdavis,

My two cents, start with Ubuntu. I think it’s the least “painful” transition from Windows (admittedly, I haven’t had a Windows box since 2004). Ubuntu is the most popular, so a lot more users to guide you through a new system. Start with the easiest to install, with the largest community, then go from there.

2 Likes

It always is on systems where there are many drives! I used to scratch my head back in the day when I had identical drives in the system. I’d have to disconnect them all but the one I wanted to install the OS into. :smiley:

1 Like

After running Ubuntu LTS for a couple weeks, decided to overwrite it with Zorin 16 Core yesterday. Thinking I’m liking Zorin’s Desktop better.

2 Likes

Zorin is a great distro, indeed! I purchased their Pro version and it’s truly great!

2 Likes

I’m now on my 3rd Distro. Zorin stalled on my first, so I installed Ubuntu LTS instead. After perhaps a couple weeks, I wiped it and installed Zorin 16 Core. Now I’ve installed Mint Cinnamon. I’m thinking I like Zorin better, but I’ll use Mint for awhile longer. Perhaps Arch Manjaro or Pop OS next.

2 Likes

POP!_OS is basically like Ubuntu with a few differences on the dock. If you want to see a bit of a drastic difference, I’d recommend trying Manjaro. :slight_smile:
Eventually, I settled on Zorin Pro 16, as since my time has become quite limited, I need something that actually works without too much hassle.

3 Likes

I actually installed both Manjaro KDE Plasma and PopOS, but have already resorted back to Zorin 16 Core. Thinking I’ll rest here. It works nicely.

1 Like

So Zorin Pro 16 is your daily driver, and Gentoo is your project.
Is this dual-boot on the same device? Or multiple devices/computers?

Currently a Dual-Boot. Or a triple, if you count Windows 11 I almost never boot into. I also run Zorin Pro on two more laptops and I noticed that my Surface Laptop 3 doesn’t overheat with it at all. Perhaps because it has the CPU governor and GPU settings set nicely on it.

1 Like

@vasileios Hey :wave:, I have been looking at Zorin 16 and liking what I see. This is a 2014 MacB Air I7 with this graphics card in it Intel® HD Graphics 5000 (HSW GT3) Should I want to try it, would I install the regular version or Nvidia version. Thank you

2 Likes

I installed the Regular version of Zorin 16 Core on my Intel Integrated Graphics (HD Graphics 3000) laptop. Works great.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on the Pro version. It looks very polished. And does have some very nice features.

I have searched for what it calls the “Professional-grade creative suite of apps” and the “Advanced productivity software” that come with it, but have not found a list. I assume those are all open source.

Do you know of a full list. No need to compile one. Just curious.
Thanks.

1 Like

For an Intel HD card, you just need the regular version. :slight_smile:

I haven’t checked it fully, to be honest. A few apps that I did (all OpenSource) are Gimp, Krita, Blender, KDEnlive, OpenCAD, Ardour (audio), OBS, and others. Though they’re pretty stable and working nicely.

:+1: thank you @MarkMcCoskey and @vasileios

2 Likes

Thank you Vasileios.

1 Like