VPN Considerations

I’ve been reading a bit about OpenVPN vs Wireguard. What I found is that Wireguard is much faster than OpenVPN but not as private because it logs and keeps your IP address and does not change it all the time, thus giving it the speed. I read that you can mitigate this to a degree by changing your own IP address frequently. For me, I’m not interested in getting content from other parts of the world, and I’m more concerned about someone seeing what I’m doing than where I am doing it from. I am concerned about slowing down my network since I’ve just gotten used to a nice fast responsive system with my new Linux OS, so I’m leaning toward Wireguard at this point. Any thoughts about the tradeoff between speed and the privacy? Also, I have LInux Mint an I discovered that I have OpenVPN software already on my system. What does this mean? Does it mean the set up is complete and all I would need is to find a host server? I also found Wireguard in the Software Center which I can download, but I’m not sure what this means in terms of how easy this will be to set up?

Hi! I’m also shopping for a solid VPN. There is a thread on Open VPN below that has more information regarding installation, etc.:

Open a terminal and type:

openvpn

Hit “Enter”. This should start the program for you.

Thanks. If you are comfortable with technology, try bytzvpn. I’m struggling with it but it will not defeat me! I’ve loaded it on two devices and am now working on a third. It is stable and, unlike some other VPNs I used, doesn’t cause streaming to go haywire. It’s got an adblocker if you want it and runs your traffic through TOR quite efficiently (by default it seems). I’ve only had it one full day, so I can’t really vouch for it yet. It did takes me hours yesterday, though, to get it downloaded because the installation instructions are not written for beginners at all.

Great! Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll definitely look it over and check it out.

Is there a limit to how many devices you can run it on? Thanks!

6 devices combined, computer and cell phone. for $89 a year.

I’ve been using it for a couple weeks now and I like bytzVPN. I have discovered that I’m not as smart as it is, but I can handle that. The customer service is limited, but they try. You can talk directly to Rob Braxman in the community chats if you are having technical problems. His technical support isn’t as great as it could be, but the service is good. Let me know if you like it, if perchance you start to use it. I’m sure I could never create anything so amazing.