Volume Busy message that doesn’t resolve

Did you make sure you switched in to the Downloads/ dir before running:

sudo dd if=linuxmint-21-cinnamon-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress

Otherwise you have to provide the full path to the ISO

That’s the part that’s confusing to me. How to I do that?

when you open a terminal

cd Downloads

then you run the command.

So I did cd downloads and got:
bash cd: downloads: No such file or directory

I strung them together and got:
cd downloads sudo dd if=linuxmint-21-cinnamon-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress
bash: cd: too many arguments

I did sudo cd downloads and got:
sudo: cd: command not found

Downloads, case sensitive.

cd Downloads

Thank you. Here’s what I got:

sudo dd if=linuxmint-21-cinnamon-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M status=progress
2443182080 bytes (2.4 GB, 2.3 GiB) copied, 349 s, 7.0 MB/s
2335+1 records in
2335+1 records out
2449342464 bytes (2.4 GB, 2.3 GiB) copied, 515.731 s, 4.7 MB/s

Done. Now place it in your Mac and use it’s boot from USB procedures of which i know nothing of other then you may be presented with 3 options, 2 of which will should be UEFI .

Research it for your particular model.

1 Like

I have Linux Mint on the Mac! Thank you so much for your help! You helped me while allowing me learn a few things. I have a LOT more to learn.

Congratulations!

That’s what we’re here for.

1 Like

@MrDeplorableUSA, just wanted to say how much I appreciate the way you help Tee out! :clap:

Would you explain what the issue is with the USB not working? Or just what was the difficulty Tee experienced?

1 Like

@Tee, :clap: :tada: :confetti_ball:

I love that you did not give up! I can see you getting good at Linux quickly.
So happy to see your successful installation! :hearts: :star_struck: :hearts:

1 Like

On the Mac it was likely not recognizing the working USB since it was not first formatted to a mac format so etcher could change it to fat32 and perform the job.

I can not vouch for that since I don’t have a Mac but that seems to be the consensus from the setting up USBs on the Mac side.

1 Like

Thanks! I was close to throwing in the towel, only because getting time to focus on it was hard and sometimes I lost track of where I was with the gaps in free time. I’m really glad for wonderful help that gave me a solution!
I’ve had fun setting things up the way I want, found solutions on my own to a few hiccups.
Tomorrow, schedule allowing, I’m getting on to switching the last machine over to Linux.

2 Likes

In one of my reformatting attempts, I did format to a Mac without success. I wonder if it helped that I switched USBs and used the solution you gave me. Either way,
I’m so glad it’s done! Have had fun setting things up and solving a few hiccups on my own. Still have a lot to learn.

2 Likes

So, not having a Mac OS to play with we went another route.

Though from this Gab post it may make some sense of why it wasn’t working for you on Mac OS either:

1 Like

That makes sense. I’m so glad to be getting away from MacOS and from Microsoft.

1 Like

Well…third machine comes up with a black screen at restart that never changes. I’m not done trying to figure it out…
Reinstalling Mac Os and starting from scratch. I’m surprised I can do this since I had the option to get rid of anything but Linux.

That certainly is interesting. My Mac is so old, I could not use any of the popular installer making apps. Luckily I was able to do that from my Chromebook then used ChromdOS recovery extension to make the installation USB to replace Chrome with Linux (Kind of funny now I think about it :grin:) before converting my Mac.