Ubuntu wifi drivers for MacBook 2011

It works perfectly now, thank you! I had a little difficulty in my terminal window, but thankfully I can drag and drop the filepath to the decompressed file.

Now, I’m going to continue where I left off on my Pixel 4xl, I had gotten stuck a few weeks ago and gave up. Since I’m using my Minty Mac to degoogle my pixel, I think the broadcom was the problem.

1 Like

Hey there! This tip worked when i was testing Mint, and a couple others, but its not working for me on Manjaro.

I admit, i got so frustrated with the laptop a couple months ago because Firefox and Chromium kept crashing, so i haven’t even bothered to learn anything new about Linux since then.

Now i want it to work. I installed Manjaro, and updated everything using Ethernet. I also downloaded all the internet browsers available, but i can’t enable my wifi. I am pretty sure im in the correct directory, because i made a copy in home, and desktop and also downloads.

I think Terminal isn’t recognizing ‘apt’ but i can go take a pic of actual error.

Hey @NanauqB!
Yes, APT is for Debian-based distributions, like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, Elementary, etc.
Manjaro is Arch-based, where the package manager is pacman. However, you can do the following:

pamac search broadcom

This should produce quite a few results. If you spot a file that has the b43 in it, then you can install it via:

pamac build <name_of_package>

And replace the <name_of_package> with the respective name of the broadcom package. If memory serves me well, it should be b43-broadcom, but I’m not running Arch or Manjaro currently (I’m on Ubuntu Studio, waiting for a process to finish).

By the way, pamac is a different package manager version of pacman, which allows for AUR (Arch User Repository) implementation.

1 Like

wow, thank you!

Actually… after trying a combination of commands, i just disconnected from Ethernet and got comfortable. Ive been messing with my network settings, and i think my Broadcom is already working properly, i think my IP settings need to be modified. Ill look this up and check back in tomorrow.

1 Like

:frowning: this instructional message was unsuccessful. I still cannot connect to wifi, can you please email me?

I cant get my wifi connection settings to work :frowning: can you please elaborate your most recent instructions? Do i download a new driver with a different file extension? I cant make the apt file into a different format just by typing it differently in Terminal.

Hey @NanauqB!
Can you open up a terminal and send me the output of the following command:

lspci

Once I see the actual name of the module, we can take it from there.

1 Like

Broadcom BCM4322

I have a photo of all the other devices that are listed, in case you need more info.

Its a common problem, i just found this thread:

Broadcom BCM4322
Was this what you wanted me to find?

Yup! That’s the one my own MacBook Air is running. Which distro are you running, currently?

I now have Zorin, should i try the original “broadcom fix”? It wouldn’t work with Manjaro.

I just want my internet to not freeze up. Every distro has problems with all internet browsers. I currently have Brave and Firefox and neither can load a page without a ten minute delay.

I just did the firmware download and sudo bash install again since you asked your last question, is there anything else i have to do to keep my internet browsers functional? I am attempting to open ProtonMail in my Brave browser and it locked up on the Login page. My Ethernet cable is still connected and i have not tried wifi yet.

The BCM firmware should do the trick, especially when the WL driver is up and running. The way you can see that is if you have inxi installed. If not, you can install it via:

sudo apt install inxi

Then, you can run:

inxi --full

And focus on the parameter here (I’m showing this from my MacBook Air running Linux):

1 Like

Per the delay you have on your network, this smells of IPv6. A lot of people, including myself, had issues with that. The best way would be to disable IPv6 under your Network Settings, as shown in the screenshot below:

Also, make sure that IPv6 is also disabled on your router.

Please let me know how it goes.

Edit: Remember to also disable IPv6 on your WiFi - when it comes online. However, if you disable the protocol on your router, you won’t have trouble on individual devices.

2 Likes

Thank you! I just did the three things you suggested, except for disabling ipv6 on the router. I am restarting now, but ill do that next. Thanks again, and wish me luck!

1 Like

You can do this! By the way, I prepped a forum computer next to my video editing, so I can keep an eye on things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:astonished: ive opened four web pages without a problem! It looks like everything is functioning as it should!! thank you!!

1 Like

That is awesome! You are very welcome and bravo! Enjoy your digital freedom! :smiley:

@vasileios

[quote=“vasileios, post:14, topic:173, full:true”]
Anyone who’s interested to make those pesky Broadcom WiFi drives to work, here’s the ZIP file for the firmware required. Download it, uncompress it, then enter the folder via terminal and type:

sudo ./install.sh

If that doesn’t work, then type:

sudo bash ./install.sh

Here’s the firmware file:
firmware-b43-installer.zip (30.4 KB)

Okay, I checked and figured out that I need the Broadcom driver for my wifi. I downloaded and extracted it (thank you for providing it), but now it won’t load. Here’s what I get (ElementaryOS):

Blockquote
persephone@ElementaryOS:~/Downloads$ ls
firmware-b43-installer
persephone@ElementaryOS:~/Downloads$ sudo ./install.sh
[sudo] password for persephone:
sudo: ./install.sh: command not found
persephone@ElementaryOS:~/Downloads$ sudo bash ./install.sh
bash: ./install.sh: No such file or directory

Help? :blush:

PS I looked in the app store and found no drivers of any kind.