Ubuntu Server and nextcloud

The hard drive is SanDisk 256Gb SDSSDHP-256. I don’t see a date on it but I’m pretty sure it’s from around 2012. It’s done it’s time. Lol

That makes sense. Usually, the older generation SSDs start producing issues after 5-6 years, depending also on the use (especially the writes, not so much the reads). And Windows tends to write… a lot! Thankfully, Linux is not much of a writer and it does not abuse drives at all. That’s why they tend to last a heck of a lot longer under this OS. :wink:

Maybe Mac is similar to Linux in that way. That drive has been in use in different computers since new. But it’s always run Mac. Never Windows. It started life in a newer Mini that I used as a camera server. It ran 24/7 for years with remote access. That was a warrior of a hard drive. I’ll give it a proper burial.

1 Like

MacOS is based on BSD, which is another Unix-type distro, very close to Linux. That’s why it does not strain the hardware as much. :slight_smile:

@vasileios Thanks for sharing that bit of history! Encouraged I am not alone in making a mess of things, but hopeful that I will get it if I don’t give up! I have decided that its not that bad to try & try, and then determine to start again with a clean distro install. I am learning so much and each time more aspects make sense and my notetaking improves! I think I am ALMOST up and running with Wireguard VPN on an ionos vps… maybe one more clean start will do the trick. I arrived at the exhilarating successful ping, but then had some unresponsive browser sessions, and permissions issues, and a listenport that seemed to change on it’s own… appreciate our admins so much!

1 Like

You are doing great @elleneia and you are on the right track!
With every attempt, you get better at it. Soon, it will become second nature to you and basically you’ll be able to face and evade Big Tech at every corner. You’re getting your power back. Bravo! :slight_smile:

Good morning Linuxers,
Well, the Mini is still running with Ubuntu Server. Somewhat surprised but there he is just plugging along. And the job with 30 computers turned into 75. And of those 75 I’m buying 6 for myself….or should I say for my experiments. I have 5 running with Ubuntu Server all with updates and hardened including ufw. The plan is to connect with kubernetes. So here I am again sniffing around for a guide. I understand it’s a bit advanced but I’m not afraid of failure. My middle name is failure. But from failures have come great knowledge. So if each one needs to be wiped 10 times to get it right, then let’s format!
Anyone got a guide? Lol

1 Like

Hey @GrillerMiller!
You appear to be well on the path!
I found this one for you, which I hope can help. :slight_smile:

1 Like