Ubuntu Server and nextcloud

I am reinstalling ubuntu server on an old tower. I purchased a domain today. Should I have the domain info first, before installing the server? I have watched quite a few videos about ubuntu server and NextCloud and I think I may be more confused than before I started. I imagine I should install server first without choosing the NextCloud snap and then install the snap? or do I have to do the database prep first? Thanks for all the help.

Cheers!!

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
I think you asked me that question from inside LMS, am I correct?
Generally, unless you want your NextCloud to be visible on the Internet and access it beyond your own network, then yes, you will need a domain name. Otherwise, you don’t need it. :slight_smile:
So, first decide where you want your server to be visible from. Your local network or the internet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@vasileios - yes I asked within LMS but posted here as well. the machine will also be a mail server so that part needs to face out - correct? I will want to be able to access the info from anywhere, so I guess that answers that question

Cheers!

In that scenario, yes, you will need the domain name. You’ll also need to setup port forwarding on your router. And don’t forget to raise your firewall!

You might consider watching some videos on setting up a VPS (Virtual Private Server). Setting up on a VPS will be identical to a home server except the VPS won’t need you to set up port forwarding in your home router. A VPS has the advantage of running in the cloud (a server in a warehouse somewhere) so you can access it from anywhere without opening your home network. If you want to run your own servers, there are a few topics you will need under your belt to avoid getting swamped in terms you don’t understand.
Basic Server Setup:

You can practice setting up a simple website to get an understanding of the skills.
Here is the video I followed to set up my webservers. Hosting companies can charge $100 or more for SSL certification (that is the https vs http). On your own server, you can do it for free. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAqilIVNgE

2 Likes

Following. I expect to need to know this stuff soon!

Following as well. My search was for setting up a website. My goals are a business website probably on a vps capable of accepting pretty much any kind of payment securely and a private email server that will be hosted locally but of course to stay updated on all account devices everywhere. Good stuff here!!

1 Like

I am following as well. I have installed Nextcloud and have experimented with the virtual server. I’d like to set up a local server to use with Nextcloud so that it is accessible from a remote computer but not subject to virtual server lag when loading/updating files.

I would also appreciate advice on the type of hardware required to run a server. I have an old Mac Mini (2009) available. Need a monitor for it, unless there’s a way to connect it to a laptop to access files on the Mac Mini. I saw somewhere that I should be able to access the Mac Mini via wifi on my laptop, but I wasn’t successful with that.
TIA!

1 Like

Normally you should be able to install Ubuntu Server and as long as you have it wired to the Network via Ethernet, you should be able to temporarily connect a keyboard and monitor and then run:

sudo systemctl enable sshd
sudo systemctl start sshd

Then:

sudo apt install net-tools
ifconfig

This will reveal the IP address of your Mac Mini.

Also, as long as you are on your Ubuntu Server, as root, set your password with:

passwd

Then you can disconnect the monitor and keyboard and go to your main computer and remotely login to your Mac Mini via SSH (provided you also install the SSH on your main system).

ssh root@x.x.x.x

Where x.x.x.x is your Mac Mini’s IP address that the ifconfig command gave you earlier. I do know that NextCloud has a web interface, which you can use from a third computer.

Edit: I know I placed the sudo commands, just in case you’re not logged in as root. To login as root and change the password, you’ll need to type in:

sudo su
1 Like

Thank you Vasileios! I will try this over the weekend :crossed_fingers:t3:

1 Like

@vasileios - I was wondering if you or someone else could give me a step-by-step (in broad strokes) for installing the server and then pointing my domain to it. I am sure I can find (or even fill in) the actual steps to achieve the desired result. something along the lines of - 1. install server (which do you recommend?), 2. install AMP (if that is what is needed), 3. prepare db for ??, etc. None of the videos I can find really address this. that being said I am starting to watch lesson 9 - even though technically I am not looking to host a site, per se. I looked at mailinabox but that needs a dedicated machine and I am trying to do my cloud and mail on the same machine. I am looking for complete in house storage - I don’t really have the extra money for a VPS, regardless of the price. Sorry I keep harping on this. I have watched a ton of videos and there is contradicting information on how to do it. I really can follow along if the directions pertain to my setup, unfortunately I have had a couple of strokes and cannot make the intuitive leaps I used to make. Cheers! Thanks for all your help.

Hey @BigDaveAZ!
I have actually kept a video for creating your own email server, but it also includes preparing and pointing a domain to your VPS. This will also work for Wordpress installation and give you all the options - including SSL.

Have a look at it here:

2 Likes

will this cover pointing to my own server at home instead of a vps?

Once you setup Ubuntu server at your home, the process is exactly the same. Log in via SSH and the set of commands is identical to that of the video. :slight_smile:

cool. Thanks, brother. As always, You Rock !!! :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

And as always, it’s my pleasure! :slight_smile:

so I installed Ubuntu server on the old tower and after installation I got this.

I have tried every trick I know in the BIOS - enabling UEFI, disabling UEFI, apply default settings, SmartBoot is still disabled, Legacy is enabled. for giggles I wanted to see if it was the HD so I installed MATE and it worked great, except it could not see my track ball. I even downloaded a new iso and etchered it on to a new USB - the install goes great, it just never comes up. hmmmmmm.

I have installed Ubuntu 20.04 server, Apache2, PHP7.4, and nextcloud. Nextcloud seems to work except for Collabora which will not install. I then tried installing it as a WOPI-like. That is where things seem to get messed up (3 times now). When I install Collabora I lose access to nextcloud via LAN, I can only access via domain name. Does Colllabora need a separate VM instance? I don’t know what else to try.

My guess is that the boot loader was installed on a different drive than the one that is set on the BIOS to start with. There was another poor soul who accidentally installed the boot loader on a USB drive instead of the main one. I suspect something similar happened here. You can retry it, by using UEFI, but no secure boot.

Trying to create many services on a single machine at a time can lead to conflicts, unless specific ports are manually assigned - or when everything runs on isolated instances. In the latter scenario, that’s where Docker or Kubernetes come in. However, that’s a bit advanced to set up at this moment. However, I do know that knowing how to manage those apps will bring you toward the “top of the food chain.” So, take it slow. One step at a time. :wink: