Ubuntu 20.04.3 - no Wifi adapter / no Bluetooth!

Those are exactly the commands I used, as per that article. Couple of days ago.

Yup, but they were for the 5.13 kernel. I only adjusted them for your exact current one. Did you try with this version?

Yes I used the 5.14.12 kernel, being the latest on my machine.

It’s likely I’ll get locked out again soon. For the day.

Not before you give this a shot!
It would appear the new short term Ubuntu landed. The 21.10 with the 5.13 Kernel. Perhaps this can be of help.

https://releases.ubuntu.com/21.10/

Ok! Which file do I need to download? And what do I do with it? In case I get lockout out again…

I’m guessing ubuntu-21.10-desktop-amd64.iso ?

I’ll have to download it on my mac and put it on a USB and install it somehow in the Ubuntu m/c… I guess

Correct! And we can begin with DMs. It might not be as… disco-strict as the main channel. Though I still have no idea how you do it! :laughing:

How do I install it on laptop? Need to do that rather than boot from USB right?

There are two ways. One you can trigger an update from within your Ubuntu - or do a clean install via USB. Which one would you prefer?

Clean install via USB.

############ Got locked out! Can you DM me? ##########

can’t reply any more. For 8 hours…

CAN"T SEE A WAY TO DM YOU…

My thoughts exactly! I’ll stay up for a bit longer to see how it goes (we’re past midnight here). :slight_smile:

Got locked out again - just got a message that my trust level has increase LOL

I’ve made the grade :rofl:

1 Like

Persistence can be rewarding! :laughing:

Appreciate you staying up!

So do I go into BIOS and boot from iso on USB?

Don’t mention it!
Yup! The good ol’ traditional way! USB first, everything else down the drain! :smiley:

When I select USB from boot list, nothing happens. I even put the USB at top of boot stack and rebooted

Since you flashed and booted a few USBs before, the process is the same. When you restart and press ESC, do you get a pop up menu (that has boot selection as an option)?

Yes the USB shows up, but if I select it, the screen just refreshes and nothing happens.

I originally created a USB with 20.04.3 - but that was not a single ISO file, but a bunch of files / directories

Something tells me you didn’t exactly flash it! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
In that scenario, you might want to boot into your Ubuntu, plug the USB in, find the ISO, right click on it and select Open with Disk Image Writer (it might hide in “Other Applications”). Select your USB thumb drive and select Restore. That will make the USB bootable.

Ah ok - thanks

Not my area of expertise haha

1 Like

Nothing to worry about! Good thing Linux can flash its own USB drives. :wink: