Ubuntu 20.04.3 - no Wifi adapter / no Bluetooth!

I ran thru your tutorial - I think it worked ok but here were some errors that I couldn’t easily copy/paste (and they were long).

I think the driver was installed ok (although I’m not sure Unity is behaving any better)- how can I check which driver is installed?

Normally it shouldn’t produce any errors, but let’s check nonetheless.
From your menu, type in nvidia-settings - if the driver was installed correctly, it will appear and show you which GFX card you have with all the extensions (and versions) installed.

I assume you mean in the console…

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded
ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

Here we go again.

There were 2 different lines starting with ‘linux /boot/vmlinuz’ (not kernel), so I entered a 3 (after a space) at the end of both of them. They both already had a 3 (something like ‘settings3’ - can’t remember)

I’ll do another clean linux install…

But I’ll need you here if I do the Nvidia setup again, so I can tell you what’s happening =)

We’ll have to setup the timezones then! Yesterday I wasn’t on the forums as I’m working non-stop to finish a video for our LMS platform. :slight_smile:

What’s LMS?

If you’re around this afternoon / evening (your time) I’ll do the clean install now

Did a clean Manjaro install so can do Nvidia drivers any time that works for you.

I have the downloaded Nvidia file.

I’m 17 hours ahead of you, so if you want to know what the future looks like, I’m your man :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

LMS is the Learning Management System. It’s a set of courses we have for $20 subscription, where we add courses every week (and has weekly live Workshops).

You’re in the future indeed! :smiley:

I’ll be around today, so we can get through with it. :slight_smile:

First, I would recommend you open up a terminal and run:

sudo pacman -S dkms

This will set the pre-requisite app to install the driver module.

Cool!

Ok so I’ve booted and added a 3 to the end of the line in the GRUB boot parameters.

Interestingly, only one line this time… so far so good

So during the process I have a message:

WARNING: Unable to determine the path to install the libglvnd EGL vendor library config files. Check that you have pkg-config and the libglvnd development libraries installed, or specify a path with --glvnd-egl-config-path.

The only option is ‘OK’ so I chose that…

ERROR: Failed to run ‘/usr/bin/dkms build -m nvidia -v 470.74 -k 5.13.19-2-MANJARO’: Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 5.13.19-2-MANJARO cannot be found at /usr/lib/modules/5.13.19-2-MANJARO/build or /usr/lib/modules/5.13.19.2-MANJARO/source.

You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it’s located.

ERROR: Failed to install the kernel module through DKMS. No kernel module was installed: please try installing again without DKMS, or check the DKMS logs for more information.

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer-log’ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

What you will need - since it’s not there - is the Linux Headers, that contain the source code.

Type in (terminal, root shell, anywhere you find yourself in :slight_smile: ):

sudo pacman -S linux-headers

Then you can retry the install.

Did that - same errors. :woozy_face: :dizzy_face: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Did you install DKMS?

Yes! In fact the error message suggests trying without it

Installation without DKMS is still possible. However, every time you get a Kernel update, you’ll need to reinstall the driver. That’s going to be a pain.

Now that I’m thinking about it. Have you tried POP!_OS? It has a lower Kernel (5.11), but you can upgrade it to 5.13. Its installation ISO comes with the Nvidia drivers embedded and pre-installed.

Looks good, so gave it a try.

All installs ok, finds WiFi (still no Bluetooth)… BUT…

it freezes up after a few seconds of use - I’ve had to reboot about 6 times. Each time it freezes I’m doing something different.

Unless you’ve got any idea why this might be, I’ve had enough.