New HP laptop Not sure where to begin

You may still have a couple problems to work through as you try to boot from the Thumbdrive. It is possible you will need to tell the computer to boot from the USB drive by hitting a key during the initial boot up process. And you may need to go into the BIOS and turn off Secrue Boot by changing it to Legacy Support.
But we can cross that bridge if we get there.

1 Like

This is just a note for later in case we need it.

Options HP Boot Menu Key:

:white_check_mark:Tap the Esc key which will bring up a menu.
:white_check_mark:From there tap F9 Boot Options.
:white_check_mark:However on most Windows 8 machines Secure Boot will have to be disabled & Legacy boot enabled in BIOS to allow booting from a CD/DVD. (or USB drive)
:white_check_mark:That will be F10 from the menu after Esc.

2 Likes

Thanks for this additional information, we’ll see how it goes and just can’t thank you all enough. Praying it all goes smoothly😊

1 Like

Hi there, so I have tried to reboot the computer multiple times with the USB drive that I downloaded the information on and nothing happens. I’ve tried the F 10 multiple times and nothing. Not really sure where to go from here. Thank you again for your help

@Nikki , try pressing escape and THEN f10.

OK, great I tried that and a screen came up that just shows recently added items.

Is there a BIOS option in that list?

I do not think so. Where would I look for it once I open. I am hoping not to have to reboot my computer because it takes forever and ever and ever before I can do anything else. Is there a way to find it with my computer running? Thank you

No. Your BIOS is basically an advanced settings menu at the hardware level. You will have to restart and press escape right after the first sign of your computer’s startup. You should see a flash in the lower left that says something like ESC…PAUSE STARTUP

Your BIOS will pop up almost immediately.

Oh, I tried that 3x the other day and nothing happened. Not sure if I missed it or not? My computer takes forever to open so not sure .

I will try it again, will be a while before I respond as it takes a long long time🥴
Thank you

As soon as you press the power button, press escape. Do not wait until windows loads.

I have found that holding escape as you press the power button will work on my HP laptop.

Ok, thx for your help

OK, I restarted it and hit the escape button as soon as it started the process and it didn’t do anything I did it quite a few times and still nothing.

No problem. Once in the BIOS look for boot order. It has been a while since I have used the HP BIOS so unfortunately I cannot tell you where it is. Set the USB boot option as the first option.

Try holding it. Hopefully that will work.

I did try holding it down but maybe just not long enough? I am shutting down my computer again and will try it again. As soon as I hit the power button I will just keep my finger on the escape button until it does something​:pray::pray:

Ok. If that doesn’t work then try holding down enter.

OK, I held down the escape button right after I hit the power button and it did seem to stop the HP with the twirling open symbol, however all I got after that was just a plain dark screen and then eventually my normal screen that opens up normally. I will turn it off again and try the enter-option you mentioned. Do I just keep holding it down until I get the screen you were talking about