New HP laptop Not sure where to begin

Typically your Downloads folder is on the C drive.

1 Like

I do have a DVD drive but it is on the other side of the computer from where I have my flash drive inserted into the USB port… i don’t use it. The USB port I am using is flashing and it looks like two little ss which I thought meant that was a high speed port?

1 Like

Open your Downloads folder and make sure the
“linuxmint-20.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso”
is there.

1 Like

Ok, yes I do see it under my downloads. Linux mint 20.3 cinnamon 64-bit disk image file, is that what it should show as? I am concerned as when I am looking at the downloads on the Linux mint page, it is not showing the balena Etcher set up. I had two of them on my computer and removed the duplicate and now I am questioning whether it is there even though the icon does show on my desktop as I moved it there to make it easy to find. When I click on my icon on the desktop it does pull up the screen and gives me the option to flash from file

1 Like

Well, we have the .iso in the correct place.
Do you still have the downloaded file from when you downloaded it? If so the run the Etcher downloaded file and it should reinstall it.
Otherwise you may need to download Etcher again.

1 Like

Did you say that Etcher does or doesn’t work??

1 Like

When I click on the icon on my desktop where I moved it to make it easy it does pull up the window that gives me the option to flash from file and then select target and then flash it just doesn’t show in my downloads section because I moved it to the desktop. Will that create a problem? When I try to open it, it tells me that it is running So I’m thinking it’s all good?

Also, Do you think there will be an issue with the flash drive being in the G port that says it’s a DVD even though it’s not. Should I move it over to another USB port? I was just told that one was more of a high-speed

1 Like

You should be OK.

Run Etcher, agree to the conditions,
then Flash From File
select the Linux mint .iso in your Downloads folder
then select the ThumbDrive MAKE SURE IT IS THE THUMBDRIVE!!!
then tell it to flash.

Hopefully Etcher will find the Thumbdrive OK.

2 Likes

OK, I did all those steps and So far so good, it says it is flashing. Looks like I am making progress thanks to all you wonderful people that have pitched in to help out.

1 Like

Yes, 512 is large but that is what you said you had.
Go ahead.

1 Like

Flash complete! Hallelujah

1 Like

Good! Congratulations!
Now you will need to reboot and watch for a Boot selection key to flash up on the screen and press that key, Usually something like F12 or F10 but sometimes other keys like ESC or others.
Watch closely as it boots, if you miss it the first time try again. If it boots to the installer on the thumb drive use the down arrow key to highlight the Check Integrity line and then hit enter. If the integrity is good then it will boot into Linux Mint and you can click the “install to Hard drive” from there.
Otherwise post back with more questions.

1 Like

You are trying to tell the computer to boot from USB

1 Like

Making progress, sounds like a bit more and have to fix dinner etc. Would it hurt it any if I waited till tomorrow to finish that part of it as long as I don’t shut the computer down?

1 Like

No,you and stop for the night whenever you want. You can shut the computer down then when you are ready plug the thumbdrive in and try to boot to the thumbdrive. But try to remmber to do the integrity check before installing.

1 Like

That is just a “security” check. Better to spend a minute extra to be sure.

1 Like

I thought I was going to do it all at once but didn’t realize how long it would take because of my inexperience. So I can shut it down and first thing I would do is go to do the integrity check? That is on the mint website I believe. So I would do that before I put the flash drive in? My computer takes about 20 minutes or so before I can usually use it while it does it’s gazillion back ups and it’s security scans would this create any problems as it would be detecting different items on my computer? Or should I just shut those off for now? Norton, malware and carbonite

Thank you thank you thank you, I cannot possibly thank you enough for your patience and perseverance. I am continuing to watch videos and ordered a book trying to learn this from scratch so hopefully I won’t have to be such a pest in the future LOL.

1 Like

Yes, shut down for the night.
But you will want to boot to the Thumbdrive next. You can run the integrity check immediately after the Initial Linux Mint screen comes up. Just use the down arrow key to highlight the Integrity check and hit enter. Once the Integrity check complete it continues to boot into the Mint desktop where you and choose to Install to Harddrive.
Check back here in the morning if you have any problem getting it to boot fromthe Thumbdrive.

2 Likes

Yes. You don’t need to do all the backup and stuff if it does boot into windows. Soon, Linux will be installed and there will be no need for all that stuff.
Hopefully you won’t need to boot into Windows ever again!

1 Like

Great thanks! Yes hopefully never again, from your lips to gods ears. I will learn this and be so much happier in the end. Have a wonderful evening and I am truly sorry to have kept you so long. Have a fabulous weekend and if you watch the Super Bowl hope whoever you are rooting for wins.

1 Like