New HP laptop Not sure where to begin

Can you copy/paste (here) the link to the website where you are trying to download Linux Mint? If you cannot post the link just let me know and I’ll post one so we can look at the same thing.

2 Likes

https://www.linuxmint.com

Thank youuuuuu

I believe I correctly installed etcher on computer but am I supposed to download mint next? Have not put anything on the flash drive yet

2 Likes

Ok, did you click the" Download" button? Then choose which “flavor”?
I imagine you will choose either Cinnamon or XFCE. Cinnamon is fancier but XFCE is more light weight.

2 Likes

Click the Download button that is ‘beside’ the Edition that you want.

2 Likes

Yes, clicked download on page and it brought me to a page that says Linux mint 20.3 Luna which shows the information size installation guide etc. then it talks about download mirrors in verifying images do I go in click verify where it says integrity in authenticity?. Really appreciate your help as you can tell I am very inexperienced when it comes to downloading programs. There is a box with a logo in it and then below it it says integrity and authenticity with a couple of boxes that say verify. I don’t know what it means by downloading the I SO image. Is that the two boxes that have the numbers starting with SHA? So I would click on each one of those boxes and safe link as?

2 Likes

Do you remember which “Edition” you clicked on, the top one?

1 Like

I clicked on cinnamon the top one, yes. Then I right clicked and saved link as for both the 2 boxes that start with sha. They Show in my downloads now and I save them. It says open file am I supposed to open the file? Or do I just click the verify button next to those numbers. Thank you for your patience

2 Likes

Ok, skip the integrity for a minute.
Go down and click on one of he Mirror links. If you are in the USA click on one of those , otherwise click on one that seems close to you.
That will start the download. Once the download starts come back here and we will discuss the integrity checks.

2 Likes

Ok, I clicked on one of the USA ones and it says 20 minutes left yikes. Should I get rid of the two items that I right clicked and saved the links for those SHA codes?

1 Like

Are you running windows on the computer right now?

1 Like

The only thing I have done is open my browser to look up these sites. I do not have anything other than that running I even left my VPN off

2 Likes

Your operating system right now is Windows, I believe.
Checking the integrity/authenticity may be a little advanced to try to do from Windows right now. So we can skip that for now. You will not need the sha256sum information.

2 Likes

OK, great. I just thought I was supposed to do it in the order it showed on the page. Should I delete those then? Shows five minutes remaining for the cinnamon download

1 Like

Once the download completes then you will use Etcher to install the Linux Mint .iso to your thumb drive.
Then after booting to the thumbdrive we can use the integrity check that is in the initial menu.

1 Like

Ok, So to confirm, I will go and open the file to the mint that I just downloaded to my computer correct? Or go to etcher on my computer? When I open at your on my computer it gives me the options to flash from file or flash from URL or clone drive. My head is swimming after playing with this for the last couple hours so trying to make sense of this

1 Like

Is the download complete?

1 Like

Yes it is complete and gives option to open file?

1 Like

No, do not open the file. But look to see if it is in Downloads folder?

When you run Etcher You will “flash from file” then find your Linux Mint .iso in Downloads.

1 Like

It shows under downloads in my DVD drive letter G. So now I went to Atcher it wants me to except the agreement every time I go in I guess this is normal? And then click on flash from file

1 Like

Do you have a DVD burner with a DVD in it? I do not know how the .iso got there!

1 Like