Mint Cinnamon backup when I can't login in?

You might want to check your disk partitions and see what the used vs. allocated space is. I went through that on a thread I started here about a month ago:

I’m using Ubuntu, but Mint is based on Ubuntu IIRC, so the tools might be similar. I have been using the “Gparted” app to look at disk partitions. I was able to see that my boot partition and main partition had got filled up on an upgrade from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04. You can also see this information in a simplified form, with System Monitor (File Systems tab), which is a “Utilities” app that may already be on your system.

System partitions can be expanded if you have room, though I have yet to actually tray that. I believe your partitions have to be “unmounted”, which probably means using a USB-boot “live” version of Linux with Gparted (or similar app) available, to access the partitions.

If any of your partitions get filled up, I think it can cause serious issues. Particularly a Linux version upgrade is going to add space to your partitions, more than likely.

2 Likes