Manjaro OS Plasma Gamer Edition vs KDE Plasma

Back to my question about buying the DeskMini UM700. I now see the system is loaded with the Manjaro OS Plasma Gamer Edition and not with KDE Plasma. I read an article about switching Manjaro over to KDE Plasma, but it seems to start at the very beginning with a bootable drive. Anyone know the differences between the plasma gamer edition and KDE Plasma? How difficult would it be to switch over to KDE Plasma if I have the mini in hand with the plasma gamer edition? Thanks for any information you can provide.

I am not sure, but it seems like the Gamer Edition has certain pre-loaded software and features that make for a better gaming experience. Whereas if you installed Manjaro KDE Plasma, it would include the base programs that Manjaro chooses.

If you do want to switch over, you can back up your data and do a new install via a USB flash drive. Here’s a good place to read up on how to do so: I don't know where to start! - Your Linux Introduction

1 Like

Thanks. Good information. I just learned that the gamers edition is Manjaro’s Xfce desktop environment. I’m going to see if I can find info on significant differences, but I know Vasileios recommended the KDE Plasma for desktop. I’ll keep researching. Since I’m not a gamer, I’d probably do away with the pre-loaded software anyway. Again, thanks for taking the time to help out!

Looks like there is an answer to avoid an entire reinstall:

sudo pacman -S plasma-desktop
sudo pacman -Rcs xfcedesktop ### if you wanna get rid of xfce

Can it be that simple?

1 Like

Yes, I have gone from using XFCE to KDE and it was that easy. I have found they are both good, and have slight differences in the panel and look and feel.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks. So, I just bought the mini! We’ll see how easy the transition turns out to be! Thanks, again.

The largest difference in KDE and XFCE is under the hood with how much resources are consumed by the desktop environment. XFCE is designed to be very light, it’s good for older hardware. KDE is full featured and highly customizable down to the effects your windows use.

2 Likes

I love KDE because of its extreme configurability for the desktop (especially with the mouse). Gnome is beautiful for working with laptops (especially version 41+). When it comes to XFCE, it’s very lightweight, but its speed is second to none. I’ve used all three for extremely demanding work before. KDE is the most convenient, but XFCE was the most stable and fast.

It all comes down to the level of convenience vs raw force. :wink:

1 Like

I think, at this point, I’m going for convenience as I begin with Manjaro. Maybe, after I become accustomed to KDE, I’ll have different thoughts and different projects. I’ve purchased all kinds of new equipment this weekend to accommodate my new mini (that I don’t have yet), including getting a new router/mesh network that I can hard wire into the mini (per your suggestion, Vasileios) thus bypassing the Intel wifi 6 component. I’ll let you know how it all works out eventually. I never imagined the first day I joined the JP channel last August/September I would be going down this kind of a rabbit hole, but it’s a wonderful and educational place to be! Appreciate all your insights and help!

1 Like

Thank you, @famcoll!
Soon, you will be way ahead of the creepy things that have already begun to plague the worldwide network. I am seeing this myself now and having secure alternatives, I can simply pop and hop everywhere, unobstructed. :slight_smile:

1 Like