Internet connection problems

I was blocked from commenting any further the message saying that although they killed my enthusiasm I was blocked for for 24 hour because I commented out rolled replied 16 times. Anyway here is where I am now

Ah, you had a clash with the DiscoBot!
Based on what I saw earlier, when you restart the DNS resolver and your Network Manager, you gain access to the Internet. However, after a little while, you’re losing it again.

So, my question - still - is, do you have a VPN service installed on your system?

I have never had a VPN and I did a search which found none.

So I am back to having connection problems again too…I get similar errors @Vonnvonne gets. I’m hoping that @vasileios solution will work for me too. I do not have a VPN service either.

1 Like

Tried lots of restarting and hardwired into my internet to download more updates today. One was a kernel update and the other was a firefox one.

I tried to download that kernel one but I couldn’t get in line.

It’s ok this will be resolved and we will be off and surfing.

One issue I have is I downloaded Ubuntu from the computer I’m not trying to download it on. So the computer has been erased. Imagine that. Ugggg

Hello @mom8milion!
Can you open up a terminal and type in the following commands (press enter at the end of each line?

sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Then check if your DNS has been resolved, by typing:

ping -c 3 google.com

If you see a 0% packet loss, then your internet is back up. Well, your DNS (the service that resolves the actual name addresses). If not, we’ll have to try and replaced the default Name Resolving service.

1 Like

And I apologize for the edits. The autocorrect likes to mess up my code messages, which results into gibberish for the computer! :laughing:

2 Likes

I tried the commands and it fixes the problem but then lost internet soon after.

1 Like

As a frustrated homeschool mom that needs this to work I searched elsewhere for a solution. So far so good using this method. I am on an old lenovo laptop and just replaced win7 with linux so I thought this solution might apply.

The advice:

Disable IPv6

2.2. Some old modems and routers can’t deal properly with modern IPv6. This might cause a bad unstable connection or even a complete failure to establish any connection at all. In that case, disable IPv6 like this:

Menu - Preferences - Network Connections

Click on the name of your current connection - click the button Edit
Tab IPv6 Settings - Method: change it into Ignore

Click the button Save and then click the button Close

Disconnect and reconnect, or simply reboot your computer.

Link to advice:

1 Like

I did a bunch of tasks in that thread you posted. I have no idea what happened but something happened.

I’m in the web.

This group is really great and thank you for your persistence.

1 Like

And IPv6 strikes again! I thought they had fixed the protocol by now (not a Linux error).

Hi…i converted my main Dell laptop from Windows 10 to mint. Now i lose my internet connection with frequency. I never had this problem with Windows 10 (laptop is 1 yr old) and dont have this issue with the ASUS i converted many months ago. Any thoughts on why i might be losing my connection? The internet speed is also very slow which is not the case on all other devices. Thanks so much!

Hey @Moana!
This usually happens because of two reasons:

1. The firmware used is not the ideal one
  2. The system uses a compatible module/driver, but not the best one.

Can you open up a terminal and execute the following command?

lspci

Please copy/paste its output (or take a photo and drag it inside the response window so that it uploads) here so that I can have a look at the WiFi device you are using.

Also, keep in mind that Linux Mint uses the 5.4 Kernel, which is older than your laptop, hence its modules aren’t exactly up to date. By the end of this month, the new Mint will be out with the 5.15 kernel, which features a huge list of extra supported hardware. To illustrate, since Kernel 5.12, the Microsoft Laptops no longer need a patched Kernel and most of their hardware work out of the box.

vasileios via Jeff.pro donoreply@jeffpromail.com

Re: [Jeff.pro] [Questions] Internet connection problems

Mon, Jun 13 • 22:11

SHOW MORE

Automatic image loading has been blocked to protect your privacy.

Show

More

Hi!

Thank you so much for both of your notes. I really appreciate it. The question I started typing before I was banned again was regarding my internet connection. Ever since I converted my Dell from windows 10 to mint, my connectivity has been mediocre at best…tons of DNS errors. Daily. I actually revisited the post on the forum where you guided someone thru a similar issue who lost their ability to connect after installing proton VPN. I added two new DNS addresses, disabled IPV6 and voilà!

Thank you…and my telegram name is Moana. -)

1 Like

I’m back. I have fully lost my ability to connect to the internet. Here is a screenshot after typing the command you recommended.

Just checking back. The conversion has rendered my laptop (my primary computer) useless since the conversion. Oddly it wasnt bad a first but slowly lost the ability to connect. Thanks in advance!

Hey @Moana,
Completely losing Internet is troubling. I have noticed that Proton has been having a few issues lately on Mint, having the IPv6leak active even when you disconnect. I have two recommendations for it:

1 - When booting up, check the network
First check to see if the IPV6leak is still running. You can do that via terminal when you execute:

ip link

If you see a connection named “ipv6leak”, you’ll need to delete it via:

sudo ip link delete ipv6leakintrf0

This is something I’ve been doing on my Mint installation quite a bit lately and described the issue here:

Also, on the DNS issue, you can open up your Network Connection in the Settings (for your current connection as in WiFi or ethernet) and put in the following settings (in red):

This will direct your system to resolve DNS via CloudFlare.

If general connectivity becomes an issue, then I’m suspecting it’s the old kernel (your Mint has the 5.4 version, while the latest one is 5.18). In that scenario, you can either upgrade the Kernel or - install the latest Kubuntu distribution, as I show below:

2 - Shift to a newer distro that has a much newer Kernel
In general, Kernels are the motherships that hold all the modules, AKA drivers, for the Operating System. For example, Kubuntu runs on the 5.15 Kernel, which has a huge number of extra hardware supported. It’s environment is also very Windows-like and much more configurable than Cinnamon.

Worst-case, if you enjoy the Cinnamon desktop environment, Linux Mint will update in a week or two with its Mint 21 that will also feature the 5.15 Kernel.

If you’re looking to test-out Kubuntu, you can pick up the ISO from here:
https://kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

Please let me know what you are more comfortable doing.

By the way, I also looked you up on Telegram, but I noticed your profile is hidden. Alternatively, you can contact me there via my handle @vasileikon.

Good morning…thank you so much. I am trying all these solutions today and will report back. I am not married to mint so another distro is an option. My internet does eventually connect. It just takes like 15 mins and then constantly drops.

BTW I unblocked my profile on Tgram. Can you let me know if you can see it now?
Thanks again!

1 Like