I don't know where to start! - Your Linux Introduction

This was a helpful introduction. :+1:
Good mix of topics.

1 Like

That’s awesome. You’re both mentioning Zorin. Thank you @vasileios as well! If this is a good distro for Macs, I’ll invest no worries. That’s hardly a price to pay for what you get…

Do you find your Mac runs faster or slower on Zorin as compared to OSX? Thanks!

Hi @igotkat
for me on my iMac 2013, & only using Zorin Core at present, some things are definitely quicker, like logging on/off. Most apps I’ve tried have been pretty fast compared to before. My log on & off had gotten so slow it wasn’t funny. I’d go do other things while waiting. Internet has been a little slower, but perhaps because I’ve also opted to use a vpn? And perhaps there are things I haven’t discovered how to do yet that might speed it all up. I’m SOOOO new to Linux life, so I’ve no idea. Maybe Zorin 16 Pro is faster? Might be a question for @vasileios or others in the team. And yeah, I’m fairly confident I’ll be happily forking out $39 for the upgrade.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. I have a similarly older iMac I’ll tinker with. I’ll try it. Thank you!

1 Like

A few days ago I helped a friend turn his 2009 iMac into Zorin. Poor guy is now happy as a bee with the speed and options he now has. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @vasileios
I’m still working up to the happy as a bee stage, but definitely happier! My challenge now…last night I bought Zorin Pro. However, it doesn’t seem to have an update method, like a mac or windows. Just the full reboot option. Is that right? I’ve not done that much on it yet, so reboot isn’t a drama. Just a couple of apps to reload.
Having trouble setting up a new usb through zorin so far. Think I’ve missed a step. Again, the learning curve with a new system & understanding the steps required. Used Etcher & flashed, but usb didn’t register on a restart. That said, I got a warning about a lack of partitions or something. But wasn’t seeing any other prompts or ways to prep the usb at the time. Sorry…waking up…mind is a bit blank on details… Might have to do it on my macbook instead, as I’ve not converted that yet.

1 Like

No worries!
Yes, to install Zorin Pro, you’ll need to do a full re-install. However, since you’re already running Zorin Core, you don’t need Balena Etcher to flash the new USB (even though Etcher also works on Linux). You can right-click on your ISO and select to “Open with Image Writer”. If it doesn’t show directly on the pop-up menu, you can find it in the “Other Applications”. Then you can select your blank USB and tell it to begin recording. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Too late for that option, but thanks! It’ll be useful for other situations I’m sure.
Ended up using my macbook to set up the USB and rebooted Zorin Pro no problems at all. Still more to do…like bluetooth drivers (using that word correctly?) & resolving the poorer video quality on things I’ve been watching. That’s definitely not an improvement.
A bit more trying to discover those bits myself before the HELP! callout. Haha!

1 Like

I am new to this. Where do I find the link to the class last night? I was only able to attend part of it live. I thought it might come in an email?

Hey @marmychris and welcome to the forums!
The class was uploaded on the LMS earlier today. If it is not already assigned to you, you can find it on the upper right corner, under “Available Courses”. It’s the number 30 - Workshop 14. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply to my very beginner question! I am such a beginner, I don’t know where to find the LMS. I am searching in the wrong place, I believe! (Perhaps some other beginner is wondering the same thing??)

1 Like

@marmychris goto lms.jeff.pro in your browser to find the classes.

Cheers!

1 Like

As I understand it, from what I’ve read, buying the Zorin 16 Pro version for $39 also provides support from Zorin, but only for installation of the distro, not support for later issues. Still, that could be helpful to a newbie to Linux. It’s another feature you’re getting for your $39, in addition to having more “desktop look” options and a lot more software pre-installed, all of which I understand can be installed in the free Zorin 16 Core edition, but you have to install the extra programs manually, from the Zorin builtin software store.

You are correct. The reason I did it was to support them, plus the fact that they managed the versioning and the app installations with great sync. This also includes the CPU governor options, which gives better performance with less power usage.

Sounds good to me. Glad they were able to help.

1 Like

Oh my goodness… thank you so much!!! I’m looking at the MINT logo for my first time!!!

3 Likes

Congratulations @PatriotRN and welcome to the beginning of your Digital Freedom!

2 Likes