I don't know where to start! - Your Linux Introduction

Thank you for this, I know I have come to the right place to learn

3 Likes

Appreciate this synopsis…Thank you

1 Like

You’re very welcome! It’s @Pirate_Fletcher 's creation. :slight_smile:

Forgive me, for what may seem as silly questions; but I am a newbie. Looking to cut domestic enemy giants from our life. Thank you for the link https://www.pendrivelinux.com/. It only has a version for Microsoft. Do you have another source for apple you recommend?

2 Likes

Check this link: Installing Linux Ubuntu via USB Flash Dri… - Apple Community

See if that is any help

1 Like

This might be more assistance:

3 Likes

Thank you but my interest is linux mint cinnamon.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. Do you have a program that will create a bootable drive? I am not using a usb, tried that and it did not work.

1 Like

Are you needing to make a DVD?

If you have a SuperDrive (that’s how Macs call their DVD recorders), then you can normally Control+Click the ISO file and select to “Burn it to a DVD via SuperDrive.” I know this has worked for a few people.

No, I am burning the info into an external drive, that I am trying to create to be bootable to run linuxmint.

Thank you; but no superdrive

The page that @Pirate_Fletcher posted earlier should work with both Ubuntu and Mint Cinnamon.

1 Like

Hey @SBHX & @vasileios
Been attempting to follow this process myself. Used the @Pirate_Fletcher video link, plus guidance already given. However! having gotten Etcher loaded onto the USB following that whole app-drive-flash process…the 2 different usb I used seem to have both lost their 16gb and now only have the space for Etcher, with no space for any OS.
I think I managed to do it right w/Ubuntu the other day, though I can’t test yet as I’ve gotta get a chorded mouse, but I got, as far as I can tell, both Etcher & Ubuntu on there. I’ve no idea what I’ve done differently today. But yeah, I’ve gone from 16gb to 687.9mb capacity on both. Somehow.
I’m clueless! And feeling my intelligence is going backward right now! Haha.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

1 Like

You need to load etcher on your computer. You need the .iso file for the linux distro on your computer.

Run the etcher program from the computer, and it will copy/burn the .iso file to your flash drive.

1 Like

Hey @DerekSK!
There is no need for alarm at all. What Etcher does is essentially “burning” the ISO file, sector-by-sector. Like a disk-cloning process. So, it’s natural to see your USB’s capacity to drop so drastically. It doesn’t mean it’s gone. (If you were on a Mac, it would say it’s unreadable and ask you to either erase it or eject it - so it’s normal)

Now, you can use one of your USBs to boot from and enter the Live session of your Linux distro. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FINALLY!!
and thanks @vasileios & @Pirate_Fletcher for the extra feedback. My brain FINALLY absorbed the information & got passed the uncertainties. Managed to successfully load Ubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie & Zorin on separate usb’s & had a brief explore of each on my iMac. Interestingly, I needed to start with Budgie inserted, then remove it & insert the other options, to even have my mac recognise the drives. I don’t understand why, beyond it being a newer USB stick, but don’t care. So good to finally explore the options. Plenty of learning to do, but think I’ve settled on Ubuntu. Planning to fully load it today, & stumble along with the learning from there.
Thanks again for all the input & support. Such a great team on this forum!

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m wondering if there is a “best” Linux OS for Macs - a newer one. I like Mint, but I wonder if there are any recomendations for Ubuntu etc.

hi @igotkat
I’m still discovering it all myself…and after having said above that I went for Ubuntu, I then partitioned and loaded up Zorin also, which was able to connect to my wifi with no issues, whereas Ubuntu I couldn’t do it without a lot of research etc.
All a case of personal choice I think. None are gonna be exactly the same, but does that really matter? I’ve still a lot to learn and issues to resolve, but I’m just happy NOT to have big tech controlling how I use my computer (like the changes they made in their last icloud update) or monitoring everything I do.

3 Likes

Hey @igotkat!
It would depend on the version of your Mac. If you want a fully fledged Ubuntu-based distro, I recommend Zorin 16 Pro. You can change the layout to your liking so that it matches your macOS & it comes with a huge plethora of software setups to make your life easier. The only downside is that it costs $39. You can download Zorin 16 Core, which is free - to test it out first. :slight_smile:

1 Like