Black Screen after Linux install that doesn't resolve

Well actually hold the FN + CTRL + OPT then tap F1
If F1 doesn’t do any thing try the combination again with F2 or F3 or F4

I still get nothing. Trying the others

OK, take a break whenever you need to but we can keep going.
Can you get back to the Install screen that you used the Option key to get to?

I’m getting back to the screen. Looked at various Mac keyboards to see how keys work on mine…

Back to the install screen, highlighted Start Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon 64-bit.
Hit ‘e’ and added nomodeset radeon.modeset=0
I haven’t hit Ctlr-x or F10 yet

ok if you are there get rid of the quiet splash – and just have the nomodeset radeon.modeste=0 come after {iso_path} with just a space in between.

1 Like

Moving forward with F10 - Booting…and I’m at the start screen. Installing Linux and will restart. Praying for no black screen.

So you made it into the desktop environment and the display was OK?

Yes, but I’ve been here many times. It’s after I install Linux and restart that I get stuck with the black screen.
I’d read about the graphics being a potential issue, but with a black screen, I had no idea how to install a different driver, if that’s what we did.
I’ll let you know what happens after I restart.

If you do get a black screen after reboot then we will. Reboot the way you just did to get to where you can install but do NOT reinstall. We can work from the running usb to modify the grub.cfg that is on the hard drive. Let me know what happens now though.

Thank you so much. I will let you know. Still going through the installation.

It is kind of late now but did you have an internet connection before you started the install. A lot of times that helps to get any drivers you may need as the installation happens.

Yes, I have connected to the network each time (and am now). I thought that would take care of any additional drivers, and each time I got the message that all driver installs were successful. I even looked to see if there was a way I could install a driver after installation, but got a message any changes I made to the system would be lost at restart.

Time to restart…

I am in!!! I am Mac and Microsoft free!! Thank you so very much for your tremendous help! You are amazing!!

1 Like

You are welcome. Congratulations!!!

3 Likes

One final thought, in your newly re-installed Linux Mint, please open a terminal window and type:
uname -a
and see if it mentions ubunbtu or debian.

1 Like

It is Ubuntu. Thank you again!

2 Likes

:confetti_ball: :tada: Just saying! :hearts:

Even with all the troubles, you did it! Very cool!

@dennis, it’s amazing watching you helping Tee out!

2 Likes

Well done Sir! kudos to both you and Tee … an amazing display of determination and “the patience of Job.” :heart:

1 Like