Black Screen after Linux install that doesn't resolve

Any way to get a picture of that screen?

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Will take me a little time since my only option is to take a picture and copy it to the machine I’m on.

I’ll send when I get it.

When restarting after Linux screen came up, I saw a line:

[FAILED] Failed unmounting /cdrom.

Yes, the failed cdrom error is a bug. For the cdrom is expected to be mounted but the usb doesn’t use or need it.
Another question, is your linux mint from Ubuntu or Debian?

Is this because I hadn’t removed it yet? Or is there an issue with the live USB?

Ubuntu. I haven’t done anything with Debian.

OK, you want to use the e key instead of the Tab key. Highlight the top line, press the e key and then you should be able to add to the end of the line:
" nomodeset radeon.modeset=0"
include the leading space but not the quotes.
Then hit enter or whatever the instructions say to boot after the line has been edited.

Also, it can take a minute of so of the black screen before it finally gets to a ‘pretty’ screen. But not over two minutes.
If you hit a black screen again with absolutely nothing showing then try this:
hold the fn key down the CTRl + OPT + F1 at the same time.
If that changes to a black screen with something in the top left corner let me know what you see.

Here’s the pic. Where do I key that in?

Ok, was just wondering. The Debian version of Linux Mint has caused some problems in the past.

Is this Debian? If so, I thought I was using Ubuntu…my apologies for the confusion.

You want to navigate to just past quiet splash –
type a space then nomodeset radeon.modeset=0

I’m not sure if it is Debian or Ubuntu but once it boots up again we will find out.

I keyed that in…now return? So this is the ATI Radeon graphics that I need? I had no idea how to resolve that issue…

When I hit return, which is my ‘enter’ on Mac, it just adds a return.

I am not exactly sure what you have on a Mac. I found this stuff online and hopefully it will get you going.
Is it starting up? with a decent screen resolution?

I only get a return when I hit what is used as enter on a Mac. I’m looking to see if I find any alternative suggestions online.

The instructions say CTRL-X or F10 to boot

1 Like

I’m so weary of all of this…and missing those important details. I’m waiting to see what happens since I got the Linux start up sound.

Nothing but black screen after sound. No line 1/3 rd of the way down, just nothing…
I double checked to make sure I had keyed the command in correctly…

hold the FN key down then CTRl + OPT + F1 at the same time.
Does that give you a new black screen with something in the top left corner?