Best operating specifications for computers for Linux

I succesfully loaded Linux on my Asus. I’d like to buy more to convert, both new and used. I need more guidance in what to look for and what ones to stay away from. For instance can Linux be loaded on notebooks, chormebooks, etc? How much RAM and Memory should I be looking for? I have searched topics quite a bit, and I’m still not sure about the features I should be looking for. I truly appreciate your help.

1 Like

I have had the best luck with Dell, HP,Acer, and Lenovo (note: some say stay clear of lenney cause chyna things) … most in the older 2010-2016 range … average 4-8 Gb ram … from old Intel Core2 Duo … Intel Pentium(R) 2127U … work fine if your using just for internet browsing and connecting with friends and family … Intel core 15 and core 17 with 8-16 Gb ram when you really need a workhorse to process large files like photo/video editing and such … It all depends on what your needs are … the newer notebooks that I’ve worked with have given a lot more headache … like they don’t want you to “fix-em” … I have never had to deal with the “video or WiFi driver issues” and cannot make any informed input … hope this helps … the main take-a-way is that “Older 'Puter’s” need to be brought out of retirement and given the Linux upgrade … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Your info is very helpful!

2 Likes

I’m looking hard now.
I was a year ago.
Now I need to take the plunge and I set aside a few hundred. I’m hoping to find for under 300$ but even better under $200.
I saw a desktop on woot for 70$ but no screen and id really prefer a laptop to be mobile.
I’ll take the advice on Lenovo and on seeking older devices. Thanks SO much. I need guidance here. Im super novice. But I want greater autonomy!! As it should be and as we dreamed of in the 90s!!

Any suggestions for a commensurate non Pentium processor?

And does OS matter? I assume not chrome OS?

As I Said in the above post … Dell has been the best for me with Acer and HP coming in second …
I just put CNIX OS on a Lenovo flex5 and have had some glitches … but it is a 2018 build so it may be hardware issue… have not had time to really put the needed attention to it … so that being said would still recommend 2014-2017 as a target date of build … Have never done a crome os so I have no opinion to offer … have mostly replaced windows 10 for family and friends some that had been upgraded from windows 8 … all have been some form of “intel” Hope this helps …

2 Likes

Awesome. Yes. This is clearer.

I put out specs to a local community chat and I’m searching online.

I’ll find a good one. It’s time to learn.

Thanks and enjoy your Holiday+ new year.

Be blessed.

1 Like

You might try asking friends or relatives if the have an older laptop that they don’t use any more … you know the ones that quit working after a “windows Update” that forced them to go buy a new laptop with the newest windows version … I was given one that as soon as I turned it on it was trying to update … four hours later it was still doing the same thing … the friend who gave it to me said that he left it on all night and that is why he gave up and bought a new one … I forced a shutdown by holding the start button in till it quit restarted it and pressed F10 ( note: it was a Dell … other brands are different as how to reach “Bios”) went into “Bios” and turned off “Secure Boot” then made sure that USB flash drive was number one in the “Boot Order” … saved the changes made to the “Bios” shut it back down … inserted the "boot-able Linux Mint usb flash drive and started it back up and it booted right into a “live session” to check out if everything works… then run the “Install Mint” and follow along … best advice I can give it to be patient … some times it take a little time … it will tell you when it’s done … Best Wishes for You and Yours … God Bless

1 Like

I’ve been asking friends and fam to check milk crates in the garage for that laptop under wires and beer craft hardware and kids helmets and knee pads.
No dice thus far. Ppl throw them out.

I have one I found on Amazon

HP 15.6in Laptop (Intel Pentium Quad-Core N5000, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth, HD Webcam, Windows 10 S) $200

Upgrades on RAM and SSD capacity come in under 300$.

But this is a 2022/2023. Unless I get on eBay I don’t think I’ll find 2016 or earlier.
Still messaging some additional friends but again most ppl tossed old hardware years ago. Esp if “broke”.

8gb ram is 70$+ is about 280.
Not sure this is necessary esp.for me, a novice.

If I found a old laptop for such id expect to pay under $100.

But new or renewed i wanted to be at or near 200$. If these specs meet the needs I’ll move forward. But there’s no rush. If I should wait to find older issue…

have you checked out local pawn shops …? any way on the above it’s more than enough for learning … as far as upgrading ram and larger SSD it is very easy and you can order both online from many sources … on the Linux journey the first step is always the hardest … once you decide to do it … all steps after become faster and easier … :+1:

1 Like

Pawn shops…
I will now.

I bought a few 2016 HP “EliteBook 840 G3” machines from a friend a couple years ago, his employer was literally throwing them away after their regular hardware refresh & allowed him to take a stack of them home. The systems are configured with 16 gig and either a 256 gig or 512 gig ssd and are GREAT for running Linux Mint ( my preference ). Our grand daughter was 12 when she got one & she’s never looked back.

One of them is loaned to a friend who recently lost his job & his laptop which was provided by the employer. He’s a Windows/Mac guy, and it took him a couple days to get used to the new UI, but he’s been using it for a month or so and has become a fan.

I’ve installed Mint on a number of minimally configured systems ( 4 gig ram, slow i5 processor for example ) and have been successful at recommending the replacement of slow spinning disk with SSD. SSD’s are so cheap these days, I worked on my son’s HP Pavillion “gaming” laptop yesterday & installed a $59 1TB Western Digital SSD, set up to dual boot MInt & Win11. His previous WIn10 install was all clogged up with all the bogus Micro$oft stuff which slooooooowed it down substantially. It now blazes.

Another recent install was a 2015 HP Pavillion touch screen for a new friend which I met at a Mark37.com Digital Privacy boot camp which was held locally. With the 5400 rpm disk & all the Windows crap which had been loaded up over years, from power on to login banner literally took 8 minutes. With Mint and an SSD that time is now 20 seconds.

Perhaps a trip to a pawn shop is in order… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll assume go SSD over HDD?
If I can’t find as is, replace?
Any particular advantage for?

when I update a laptop I generally upgrade the Hard drive to SSD which always improves the overall speed … and since I have the case open to do this, first thing on the list is to blow out the “dust and dirt” … then after the hard drive I upgrade the “Ram Memory” if I can … all together these three things will make it “Tippy Top” :slightly_smiling_face: You don’t have to … as you can just over write the existing hard drive and get by with the “Ram” as is … will still work fine …

this was a start to finish update that I posted last summer … it was for a very old 32bit laptop but the steps are the same for newer 64bit …Old IBM T42 32bit storage locker find .... or how fast can I install Linux on this Oldtimer - #18 by I.B.Lurkmore

Got mine:

Dell Inspiron
256 SSD
8gb
1.9 mega
2127u
17.3 inch screen for weary eyes.
eBay.
Just about 150$.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like