Beginner driver disaster do I need to reformat and start over?

Please forgive my delay. You’ll need network for the first command. Please connect the cable to execute it and try again. Then you can disconnect it.

Edit: There is some havoc currently with major Internet shortages and I’m attempting to cover as many fronts as possible. Hence my delay. Again, I apologize.

We have WiFi

Great! Now, please run the previous commands in terminal so that we ensure that you still have WiFi after the update. :slight_smile:

Okay. I admit this is funny!

Try this first:

sudo apt update

This will update the databases and will say that you can upgrade. Don’t upgrade.

Then re-run the commands, starting from the sudo apt install mlocate.

It worked and we are on WiFi! I won’t touch anything till you give me the ok. My puppies need a walk so I’ll be back soon. Thank you again for not giving up.

Enjoy your walk!

Meanwhile, I’m finding it interesting as to how you have the Atheros Qualcomm modules and your WiFi is functioning normally.

Anyhow, when you get back, please run the following commands and post a picture of each, just to be on the safe side that we’re backing up the correct files. :slight_smile:

sudo lshw -C network

Take a photo. Then type in:

sudo lspci

And take another photo. This will give me all the information of your network adapters in terms of hardware and drivers - as well as any additional firmware they might be connected to.

Thank you so much, Suzanne!

Hopefully, the drivers will not be spoiled during an update.
Currently, I’m on another system and I shall return to the main workstation, where I created a couple of scripts that will do the heavy-lifting for you. One is for the initial backup and the other is to restore the firmware after you initiate a system upgrade.

All I ask is for a few minutes. :slight_smile:

No hurry, my pups want another walk. I don’t know how to thank you for not giving up.

1 Like

You are most welcome, Suzanne!

Okay, let’s give it a shot.

First, please download this script file and store it at a place where you can easily spot it.
backup_broadcom.sh (396 Bytes)

Next, go to the folder you saved it, right click on open space and select Open in Terminal. Then type:

chmod +x ./backup_broadcom.sh

And press enter. This will make the script executable. Next, type:

./backup_broadcom.sh

This will backup all the Broadcom firmware files to your Documents/NetworkFirmware folder (it creates the folder automatically and copies the files there).

Once that is done, please download the following file.
restore_broadcom.sh (579 Bytes)
Do the same as earlier. Save it to the same folder, then enter terminal inside that folder (same as above), and type once again:

chmod +x ./restore_broadcom.sh

Do not run it yet. Now you can update your system by typing:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Press enter and let it do its business.
Once that is done, reboot to see if you lost Ethernet and WiFi access.
If you have, then go to the folder you saved the script files I sent you. You will need the restore_broadcom.sh.

Open up a terminal inside that folder (go to the folder you saved it, right click in empty space and select Open in Terminal and then type the following:

./restore_broadcom.sh

This one will ask for your password, since it requires elevated privileges to copy everything back to its original position - prior to the update. However, it will automatically keep a backup of its own (which will be different than the one you made when you executed the first script).

Once that is complete, reboot your system and please let me know if your network has been restored. :slight_smile:

Thank you. I’m sitting in an online class with Dr. Shiva Ayyaduri. He did the Arizona Audits. It goes through 10 pm so I’ll probably work on the computer in the morning when I’m thinking clearly. Bless you for all this hard work you did to help me. :grinning:

1 Like

I followed your instructions exactly although I had no idea what I was doing and my computer is fixed. The Wi-Fi Is actually working at full strength. Without your help, I was finally going to give up.
Words cannot express my gratitude for your knowledge, perseverance and selflessness.

1 Like

That is so great to hear, Suzanne!

It just makes me very happy to see you succeed! That’s all there is to it. Now you can share your success story and wake more people up. :blush:

By the way, the second script (restore) I sent you - will work if there’s any other update that might damage your network. It’s your little personal safety! Remember to never delete the FirmwareNetwork in your Documents folder. That’s your network’s resuscitator. :grin:

Enjoy and have fun!

Could I ask you two quick questions?

The livepatch option wont go away. Is it safe to turn it on?

I have an external backup drive. Now that my computer is in perfect condition, is there a way to make an emergency back up of it to my external in Ubuntu?

1 Like

Hey Suzanne, I’ve been following along and checking in on your progress since we chatted the other day. I’m glad to see that Vasileios was able to get your driver issue sorted and your computer up and running. So happy that you stuck with it and were able to get properly started on your Linux journey. Great job and congratulations!!!

1 Like

LivePatch is only when there is a Kernel update so that you don’t have to reboot. It’s not necessary unless you are using your computer as a web or email server. You can safely ignore that.

On your second question, yes, there is a really good option.

Connect your external drive and check if it has files in it. If it does, leave it as is. Then open up a terminal and type in the following command:

sudo apt install timeshift -y

Once done, tap your Command Key and type in timeshift. Run the application and it will open up a window to set up your backups and snapshots. It’s like Apple’s Time Machine, but more configurable. You can select the external drive and how many snapshots it will keep. Leave the rest of the options to default and you’ll be good to go!

Bless you Vasileios! I am in you debt.

1 Like

You’re most welcome! And no, you’re not in any debt. We’re all looking forward to moving toward a debt-free world, remember? Your Digital Freedom is one big step in that direction. :wink:

1 Like